PDA

View Full Version : good post-workout food/drink for general fitness routine...

golfbobbyhill
07-14-2003, 06:41 AM
Guys -

I'm hitting the gym 2-3 times a week....no 'true' body-building, just a genenal fitness routine. Looking to really just get in better shape, not gain mass.

What's a good post-workout plan?

Is something like a Myoplex or MetRx shake good? Or an Optimum Protein shake alongside a Gatorade?

Any suggestions?

dirty-c
07-14-2003, 09:59 AM
If you're just looking to get in better shape (or "tone up", whatever the hell that means....), then something like an MRP would be okay, but you can get similar benefits out of food for cheaper. Two scoops of Whey and a gatorade would do you fine, but check the label on gatorade to see what type of sugar it has. The consensus seems to be that you want dextrose after your workout, not fructose or sucrose. Since it sounds like you probably care more about getting/staying lean than gaining muscle, be careful on the amount of carbs you get in your postworkout meal. If you take in more carbs than your muscles can place in glycogen stores, then it will be stored as fat. Exactly how many carbs this value is.......I have no idea.

Ironman8
07-14-2003, 09:59 AM
Why not mix in maltodextrin with your shakes?

raniali
07-14-2003, 12:05 PM
if u r chugging an mrp post w/o, you don't need to add any more carbs (dextrose or malto) to it as they are usually loaded anyways.

as was said already, buying whey and powdered carbs (usually maltodextrose) separately is cheaper than buying a mrp.

golfbobbyhill
07-15-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Why not mix in maltodextrin with your shakes?

How much should I put in? And can it be had at GNC (my only local health/supplement store)?

Thanks again.

Ironman8
07-15-2003, 09:52 AM
Well, I usually take 40 grams. But, I guess it depends on personal preference.

Holto
07-15-2003, 09:57 AM
gatorade and whey simply becaue it's cheap and easy

I wouldn't reco gatorade to a bb

bradley
07-15-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by golfbobbyhill

How much should I put in? And can it be had at GNC (my only local health/supplement store)?

Thanks again.

You might not be able to find malto in your home town, but you could also look for dextrose which you can usually find at any store that sells home brewing supplies.

Whey and dextrose would be fine post workout, and ~50g of dextrose and ~25g of protein would be fine for post workout nutrition. Then have a whole food meal ~90 minutes or so after consuming your post workout shake.

The addition of a small preworkout shake has also been shown to be beneficial as well. A small amount of carbs and protein taken about 30 minutes before working out (~25g of carbs and ~10g of protein).