PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition / Workout Questions

technogeeky
07-14-2003, 11:24 AM
Hey folks, a couple of questions:

I weigh 304 now. I work out (WBB1) 3 days a week.

I am trying to do cardio (HIIT or whatever) 2 or 3 days a week (T,TH,maybe Sat)

I do NOT eat breakfast before working out (sorry, can't wake that early)

I eat 2400 calories a day (I'll go up if I find I need to)

I try my best to eat healthy. The worst thing I eat now is Spicy Chicken Filet's from Wendys.

I am trying to have 25/25/50 fat/carbs/protien.

I want to loose 3lbs a week for a while.

Given this information:

1. Should I consume a "typical" bodybuilding after-workout shake? I assume it would include some amout of whey, water, creatine, (dextrose?), etc. If so, what should I put in it?

2. For weightlifting days, should I also consume my typical Oatmeal + PB + Protien powder?

3. How the heck do I stop chicken from drying out so fast when I grill it early in the week?

4. Just to re-iterate. When I'm still pretty new to weightlifting, it is ENTIRELY possible (and pretty easy eh) to gain muscle mass while losing fat. CORRECT?

Thanks! :)

technogeeky
07-14-2003, 11:37 AM
Also, would going on a ketosis diet be a bad idea for me?

raniali
07-14-2003, 12:02 PM
at 304 lbs, i personally think you need to be consuming at least 3000-3500 cals a day. your current cal level is extremely low for the amount of training/cardio you are doing.

keto is just another approach to cutting that many have found beneficial. personally, i would start with an adjustment of your macros -- more fats, and less protein, or some other arrangement that you find that works for you. why are u aiming for 3lbs/wk of fat loss? you are sure to lose muscle at that rate of wt loss. one should normally aim for 1-2 lbs/wk.

you also NEED to have a post wo shake if you are not eating anything beforehand.

technogeeky
07-14-2003, 12:13 PM
I'm not in normal circumstances. I have mulled over my decesion to loose more than 2/lbs a week with many people on here, and my doctor. We determined that, for a while, it is safe.

Y2A
07-14-2003, 12:20 PM
3/lbs a week may be "safe" but may not be "smart." You wont die, but you may lose muscle. Since you are just starting to work out, you can probably gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, IMO you only get this opportunity once, so take advantage of it!

technogeeky
07-14-2003, 12:26 PM
Word.

Also, I need to buy the following items:

1 - Calipers (what brand!??!)
2 - Choc. Optimum Nutrition 10lb whey
3 - If you guys say I need it, creatine/dextrose.
4. Protien bar (Detour or other)

5. Cod Liver or otherwise EFA oils? Any brands/reccomendations?

bradley
07-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by technogeeky
I do NOT eat breakfast before working out (sorry, can't wake that early)

Surely you can throw something together, such as a small protein shake along with a few grams of carbs. This would be beneficial IMO and would probably help in sparing LBM, which means you end up burning more calories in the long run. Especially since you stated that your workouts last upt to 90 minutes in length.

I want to loose 3lbs a week for a while.

While I have no doubt this is possible do you think it is the best approach as far as your bodybuilding and fitness goals are concerned? If you do decide to go this route I would monitor your progress in the gym and if you are not seeing the progress you want I would reconsider the 3lbs. a week.

1. Should I consume a "typical" bodybuilding after-workout shake? I assume it would include some amout of whey, water, creatine, (dextrose?), etc. If so, what should I put in it?

Yes, because I think the anabolic effects of a post workout shake outweigh any other aspects that come along with the shake (decreased fat burning, calories contained in the shake)

IMO a shake that contained ~25g of protein and ~50g of carbs would be fine, and a small preworkout shake would be beneficial as well. For pre-workout you could go with something that contains ~10g of protein and ~25g of carbs. You could use either dextrose or maltodextrin as your carb source and 100% whey as your protein source.

2. For weightlifting days, should I also consume my typical Oatmeal + PB + Protien powder?

Sure, that could be the first meal after your protein shake, should be consumed ~90-120 minutes after drinking your post workout shake.

3. How the heck do I stop chicken from drying out so fast when I grill it early in the week?

Are you marinating the chicken in anything? How are you preparing it?

4. Just to re-iterate. When I'm still pretty new to weightlifting, it is ENTIRELY possible (and pretty easy eh) to gain muscle mass while losing fat. CORRECT?

I would say that it would be quite possible for you since you are new to training and are at a higher bf%.

1 - Calipers (what brand!??!)

Not really sure, but I would try to find some that are consitent but not too expensive. I know that does not help much:(

2 - Choc. Optimum Nutrition 10lb whey

Good choice IMO.

3 - If you guys say I need it, creatine/dextrose.

As far as dextrose is concerned it really does not matter what brand you get. Dextrose is dextrose, and you can usually find it in stores that sell home brewing supplies.

I don't really think creatine is necessary, but it can help. Just go with a pure creatine monohydrate powder.

4. Protien bar (Detour or other)

They are good and provide a convenient way to get in a meal/snack when on the go. Just make sure and count the cals toward your daily total. Whole food is better IMO, but when you need something sweet a protein bar can be a good alternative.

5. Cod Liver or otherwise EFA oils? Any brands/reccomendations

Just try to find some fish oil caps that have been moleculary distilled so as to remove any contaminates that could be found in the oil. I prefer the caps because they are easy to pack when I take meals on the go (school, etc.), but you could also go with the liquid if you like.

bradley
07-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by technogeeky
Also, would going on a ketosis diet be a bad idea for me?

There is nothing really special about ketogenic diets and I find that a more balanced approach is easier to stick with. Don't get me wrong ketogenic diets do work, and the limit amount of food choices help some people to stick with their diets. If you are making progress with a balanced diet then I would just stick with that:)

jugheadkills
07-15-2003, 09:03 AM
ok ok.. the way i see it is that technogeeky is trying to lose 84 pounds... that is a lot of weight... who in here really expects him NOT to lose muscle. now im sure there are things he can do to minimize the muscle loss, but to me, losing that much weight but not losing any muscle seems a bit ridiculous...

technogeeky
07-15-2003, 09:11 AM
Obviously I will loose muscle - but I don't have much to lose. I expect to maintain or gain a little muscle over the long run, however.

bradley
07-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by jugheadkills
ok ok.. the way i see it is that technogeeky is trying to lose 84 pounds... that is a lot of weight... who in here really expects him NOT to lose muscle. now im sure there are things he can do to minimize the muscle loss, but to me, losing that much weight but not losing any muscle seems a bit ridiculous...

IMO he has a good chance of increasing LBM while losing bf seeing as how he is at a higher bf% and also new to training. That is why everyone is telling him to be smart about his weight loss.

It might take longer to lose but in the long run it will be worth it IMO. A couple of pounds every week adds up mighty quickly:)

jugheadkills
07-15-2003, 01:30 PM
true that, true that.. ok i guess the way i saw it was like this i need to lose 84 pounds, every bit of that has to be fat... but yea i get what you are saying bradley.. good luck technogeeky