PDA

View Full Version : In ketosis and feeling very energetic...

Fenbay
07-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Is this physiologically possible? I've been close to 0 carbs for last 3 days and checked for ketones today and the strip showed that I am indeed in ketosis. Am I just happy at my current weight loss or do some people respond well to burning ketones from an energetic standpoint?

technogeeky
07-14-2003, 11:37 AM
You can check for ketosis? How?

raniali
07-14-2003, 11:54 AM
yes - u feel energetic because the conversion of fats for fuel - but you will also feel weak because there is no glycogen

its possible

Ironman8
07-14-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by technogeeky
You can check for ketosis? How?

Ketostix. You pee on the stick, and it tells you're ketones are low or high.

technogeeky
07-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Is there a supplement form of ketones?

raniali
07-14-2003, 12:55 PM
no

it would defeat the purpose of being in ketosis

Y2A
07-14-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by technogeeky
Is there a supplement form of ketones?

Yes- not eating carbs :)

Fenbay
07-14-2003, 01:01 PM
... ketones = an enzyme your body produces when you are metabolizing fat and not carbs.

Rani, but my energy feeling = feeling strong too. But, tonight is chest night and the first one since being hard core 0 carbs so we shall see tonight if my "feeling" energetic translates into a good workout.

raniali
07-14-2003, 01:04 PM
u might still have some strength today - but typically the longer you are without carbs, the less real strength you have. it is advised for keto diets to train within the first 2 days of no-carbs just for this reason.

dirty-c
07-15-2003, 08:57 AM
I've been on low carb for about 2 weeks and feel about the same as I used to, but I'm also not working out at the moment.....

Let us know how the workout went. I remember I dragged a*s when I was lowcarbing and working out.

Ironman8
07-15-2003, 09:39 AM
Man, I felt like **** when I went on CKD. And I didn't even workout. I guess my problem was I probably didn't have enough fat in my diet.

Fenbay
07-15-2003, 12:48 PM
My workout sucked last night! And all day at work I felt great. Oh well, I expected the weight to go down, but I couldn't even get 385 last night on the flat bench. Priorities I guess, and I've decided the cut is the biggest priority to me right now so damned the max lifts. :)

raniali
07-15-2003, 12:54 PM
so i'm right?

;)

Fenbay
07-15-2003, 01:02 PM
OMG, I have to admit this .....yea, Rani is right!

raniali
07-15-2003, 01:16 PM
now that wasn't so bad, was it?

seriously though - just plan your wt training for the first 2 days of keto and you should be fine. just don't expect to be breaking personal records.

dirty-c
07-15-2003, 01:17 PM
Have you thought about TKD? I've never done it, but I think the premise is to eat carbs before the workout so that your body will use those for energy. I'm not sure how exactly it works though. By taking in a fairly specific amount of carb, you would give your body enough fuel for your workout, and possibly enough to fill some glycogen stores, but certainly not so much that you are able to store any as fat.

I'm going from memory here, so if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

raniali
07-15-2003, 01:21 PM
you are correct about a tkd -- but the downside is no major refeed/binge fests like a ckd has.

Fenbay
07-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Actually dirty, I'm still fudging around with a TKD. I wanted to get deep into ketosis before I start trying though.

Matter of fact last night I took in some dextrose with my PWO shake and I'm going to test for ketones this afternoon. If I am still in ketosis I will add another scoop of my cell-tech knock off pre workout and see how it affects me. If all goes well I will take in roughly 35 grams of dextrose right before my workout and another 35 right after my workout. The mix has ALA in it so hopefully my body will metabolize the carbs quickly. If not I will adjust to only PWO shake for the carbs etc to ensure that I am in ketosis every morning.

bradley
07-15-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Fenbay
Matter of fact last night I took in some dextrose with my PWO shake and I'm going to test for ketones this afternoon. If I am still in ketosis I will add another scoop of my cell-tech knock off pre workout and see how it affects me. If all goes well I will take in roughly 35 grams of dextrose right before my workout and another 35 right after my workout. The mix has ALA in it so hopefully my body will metabolize the carbs quickly. If not I will adjust to only PWO shake for the carbs etc to ensure that I am in ketosis every morning.

A combination of the TKD/CKD is probably the best approach IMO.

By just taking in preworkout carbs you will decrease the chances that you will disrupt ketosis due to the effect of catecholamines on insulin secretion.

dirty-c
07-16-2003, 08:00 AM
Will you get about the same energy/strength from taking in pre-workout carbs (which will be glucose in your blood) as you would from glycogen stores? I would imagine that pre-workout carbs wouldn't have enough time before the workout to get stored in the muscles as glycogen (could easily be wrong about this), therefore they would have be used from the blood. Which brings me to another point, is there even such a thing as "using glucose directly from the blood"? Must glucose be converted to glycogen before it can be used by the muscle? Or is glycogen merely a means of storing energy for later use (~atleast 24hrs later).

BTW Fenbay, sorry if this question is a little off your thread topic. I figure the more I know about glucose use the more I can help you and others. I've learned more from the people at this forum in the past week than I've learned in the last 7 years.

Relentless
07-16-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by bradley

A combination of the TKD/CKD is probably the best approach IMO.

By just taking in preworkout carbs you will decrease the chances that you will disrupt ketosis due to the effect of catecholamines on insulin secretion.

This is sorta what I did and it worked quite well. I stuck to preworkout carbs in a shake and minimized 'em elsewhere, with the (very) occasional refeed.

Fenbay; I don't think you need to worry about how 'deep' your keto is, so long as you remain mostly in keto. whether it's 1mmol or 8mmol or whatever shouldn't matter. I found that dextrose-loading kicked me out of keto for days at a time though.

Also, as you progress in a keto diet, you will need to keep total carbs lower and lower to maintain keto as your body seems to get more efficient at grabbing the loose carbs... ;) whereas in the first weeks I was pissing ketones on up to 80g/day of carbs, after 3 months I usually needed to keep it under 30g. This meant that I tended to avoid postworkout shakes with carbs and instead just took protein post; with some carbs in my pre-workout shake to help fuel the workout.

Fenbay
07-16-2003, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Calla, so far I am only taking in about 35 grams of carbs via the PWO shake. I checked yesterday afternoon and again this morning to see if ketosis was still happening and it was in both cases. I'm gonna continue this for now and might even try adding the same scoop pre-work out and see if I stay ketogenic. Will definitely keep in mind what you said about your body dropping out of ketosis quicker the longer I am on this diet.

Dirty, never fear hijacking my thread. If it's an even somewhat related question which your is, no worries. I'm interesed in Bradley or maybe Aka responding to that question myself.

bradley
07-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by dirty-c
Will you get about the same energy/strength from taking in pre-workout carbs (which will be glucose in your blood) as you would from glycogen stores?

When you consume pre-workout carbs on a TKD you are attempting to promote glycogen synthesis post workout. In other words you are setting yourself up for the next weight training session.

Which brings me to another point, is there even such a thing as "using glucose directly from the blood"? Must glucose be converted to glycogen before it can be used by the muscle? Or is glycogen merely a means of storing energy for later use (~atleast 24hrs later).

During anaeorobic activities such as weight lifting the body will rely on the ATP-CP system for the first 20 seconds or so and then energy will be utilized from the breakdown of glycogen (anaerobic glycolysis).

For aerobic activities the body can use blood glucose as fuel along with FFA, and muscle glycogen.