PDA

View Full Version : my brown rice is always hard :(

chops
07-14-2003, 12:48 PM
i use either the short grain (calrose) or jasmine brown rice. it ALWAYS turns out hard. i use a rice cooker so that i don't have to monitor the cooking .(the white rice always turns out good in my rice cooker)

i have tried
-soaking the rice for a couple hours
-adding up to a cup additional liquid

how do u cook yours?

WillKuenzel
07-14-2003, 12:56 PM
I've found I always have to cook brown rice longer than normal. I just boil mine as I don't have no fancy rice cooker. :p

For regular brown rice it takes around 30-40 minutes while boiling for it to get cooked good.

APE.
07-14-2003, 01:04 PM
Just use the instant bagged type that says boil for 10 min.
If you insist on using reg type add about 1 tsp. of olive oil.
I usually find that helps.

chops
07-14-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by HomeYield
I've found I always have to cook brown rice longer than normal. I just boil mine as I don't have no fancy rice cooker. :p

For regular brown rice it takes around 30-40 minutes while boiling for it to get cooked good.

i noticed that when i cook white rice in the rice cooker, it takes less than 20 but w/brown rice, takes about 45....

i have never tried cooking it on a stove, but i'm sure you're right. unfortunately, i don't have 40 minutes to kill over a simmering stove :(

chops
07-14-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by APE.
Just use the instant bagged type that says boil for 10 min.
If you insist on using reg type add about 1 tsp. of olive oil.
I usually find that helps.

i didn't know instant brown rice existed. cool, i have a solution now.

Tryska
07-14-2003, 03:05 PM
i've always just followed the directions on the bag.

doesn't it take 40 minutes either way, by steamer or on the stove.

you don't ahve to actually watch it on the stove.

just put the lid on, set the flame on low and come back when the buzzer goes off.

it takes a little longer cooking time and a little more water depending on the brand you buy. I've learned to use the directions on the package, because they are all a bit different.

the only rice i cna count on too cook the way i was taught is Uncle Ben's white.

Frankster
07-18-2003, 09:20 AM
prob with instant rice is it's pre cooked a little and has less nutrients.

chops
07-18-2003, 10:43 AM
http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodhousekeeping/experts/editor/qas/0,,284589_291569,00.html says that the nutrients are the same. i haven't bought any yet and i'll compare labels anyway just to be sure.

SoulOfKoRea
07-18-2003, 05:46 PM
my momma makes a big batch of brown rice, splits it up, puts them into little ziplock baggies and freezes em for me. i just take one out the night before, stick it in the fridge, the next day I can just microwave it for a minute and eat it.

idimmu
07-24-2003, 12:19 PM
Is brown rice alot better for you than white? I generally eat white, but if their are any benefits in brown (if so pls list thx :) ) Ill happily swap.

Manveet
07-24-2003, 02:38 PM
I think the key is not to cook to much at once.

I cook 1/2 cup long grain brown rice over the stove, it takes about 20-30 min.

WillKuenzel
07-24-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by idimmu
Is brown rice alot better for you than white? I generally eat white, but if their are any benefits in brown (if so pls list thx :) ) Ill happily swap.

Can't say its awhole lot better but it does have a bit lower GI, which means a lower insulin response. At least that's my understanding. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong or add more to it.

SoulOfKoRea
07-24-2003, 05:26 PM
I believe brown rice has more fiber and better all around macros, whereas white rice is processed and refined which causes it to lack the amount of fiber and nutrients as brown rice?

LAM
07-24-2003, 05:36 PM
exactly !

idimmu
07-26-2003, 07:33 AM
Thanks, I bought some yesterday, and it did pretty much double the cooking time, I use a microwave rice steamer, just add boiling water to the rice, then microwave it for 15 mins, stir, then 15 mins again. Super lazy!

I think it tastes nicer than white rice too.

SoulOfKoRea
07-30-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by idimmu

I think it tastes nicer than white rice too.

*Affirmative* :cool:

Reinvented
10-06-2003, 03:31 PM
my brown rice works werll ,i just buy safeway brand brown wild rice, and use my rice cooker.

when my rice is done cooking i cook my chicken and vegies and by that time the rice is just perfect, as i like it to sit in the cooker for another 20 mins, not cooking just sittting there staying warm.

works like a charm

Alex.V
10-06-2003, 03:50 PM
Brown rice sometimes has a lower glycemic index. Actually, the particular type of rice (grain and species), how long it's cooked, and whether or not it's instant matters more.

It has about 2.5 grams of fiber per cup, versus 1 gram for white.

Overall, the difference is almost negligible, so if it's a huge pain in the butt I wouldn't bother. It definitely does taste better though. :)

the doc
10-06-2003, 03:53 PM
yeah a nice nutty taste on the brown rice

be sure and let the rice steam for another 20-30 min after the cooker has switched to warm

micko
11-15-2003, 10:24 PM
i usually just put it in a pot on the stove with more water than needed so i can just let it boil away without any worries of it burning :p

also if the water runs out i have found brown rice doesnt stick like white rice does :D

ogarchamplin
03-13-2004, 03:13 PM
Uncle Ben has brown rice in boil in a bag and they work great. And sometimes your local grocer will have a bargin brand that is the same

Cardinal
03-14-2004, 02:08 PM
For me the brand makes a tremendous difference.

I end up paying $1 per pound for Lundberg (you know the nation wide organic brand). It cooks and tastes very different and superior imo.

Something like mahatma brown rice just tastes more like colored white rice to me. I like the hearty/crunchy goodness of Lundberg. I also use lots of water and rinse it off well first.

chops
03-14-2004, 03:42 PM
it lives!

i am pleased to say that i have mastered cooking brown rice already.