PDA

View Full Version : Eating and working out in the morning

maverick
07-14-2003, 04:55 PM
I figured the question fitted this forum best. My schedules are changing at work so I'm going to be working out in the morning. I'll be going to the gym right after I get up and then heading right to work after. Is is better to eat something before the gym, or after, or both?

bradley
07-14-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by maverick
I figured the question fitted this forum best. My schedules are changing at work so I'm going to be working out in the morning. I'll be going to the gym right after I get up and then heading right to work after. Is is better to eat something before the gym, or after, or both?

I would recommend taking in both a preworkout and post workout shake.

Preworkout a small amount of protein(~10-15g) and carbs(~25-35g) mixed in a small amount of water, and post workout ~25g of protein and ~50g of carbs.

IMO a soluble carb source would be your best bet (dextrose/malto).

maverick
07-14-2003, 05:50 PM
Excellent, thanks.:)

GhettoSmurf
07-14-2003, 08:38 PM
i totally agree w/ bradley. never workout on an empty stomach.

jixxxer
07-15-2003, 07:02 AM
What if your trying to lose fat? Is it okay then to workout on an empty stomach first thing in the morning? And if its not okay, plz explain.

Thanks!

jugheadkills
07-15-2003, 08:51 AM
yea yea.. i have also heard that working out on an empty stomach early in the morning is the best thing one can do to burn fat.. You nutrition gurus need to tell us why or why not!!!

Blood&Iron
07-15-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
i totally agree w/ bradley. never workout on an empty stomach.

There are some instances in which it might be useful. Depends on your goals.

I go back and forth on the subject myself. I've done both, and don't know that the benefits are really worth it. My workouts tend to feel much more difficult (and be a lot crappier).

And to be honest, I don't workout on a completely empty stomach. For instance, I'll typically get up at 5:00am have a little cereal and a casein protein shake, some CLA and fish oil caps, then go back to sleep for another 1-1.5 hours. When I get up it takes me another 1.5 hours to take a shower, get my crap together and get to the gym. By then, it's been about three hours since I ate and it's kinda like working out on an empty stomach, but with fewer drawbacks.

I only to do this when dieting, though.

EDIT: Typically, the reasons you'd want to workout on an empty stomach are for the GH-release you get from exercise and if you're trying to deplete muscle glycogen (Bioth of which necessitate the use of pretty high volumes of work) I'm still not convinced exercise-induced GH release is really signficant, though.

Ironman8
07-15-2003, 09:33 AM
Jixxxer and jugheadkills, it is said that working out in the morning without eating anything it too catabolic. Meaning, your body will use fat and muscle for energy, not carbs.

bradley
07-15-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by jixxxer
What if your trying to lose fat? Is it okay then to workout on an empty stomach first thing in the morning? And if its not okay, plz explain.

Thanks!

I think it really comes down to calorie balance at the end of the day as far as weight loss goes, unless you are trying to get rid of that last little bit of bf. If you are trying to get down to a low bf% then some moderate intensity cardio on an empty stomach might help in getting rid of that last little bit.

I do not think high intensity activities such as weight lifting would be beneficial on an emptry stomach, unless you are doing a depletion workout as B&I mentioned. The risk of catabolizing LBM would be greater when working out on an empty stomach which would not be ideal. Losing fat at the cost of LBM is kind of defeating the purpose.

jixxxer
07-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Thanks for info guys! I wake up and begin workout within 20 mins, so i dont really have time to eat anything and let it digest. Maybe I'll try a protien shake as soon as I wake and head to the gym.

bradley
07-16-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by jixxxer
Thanks for info guys! I wake up and begin workout within 20 mins, so i dont really have time to eat anything and let it digest. Maybe I'll try a protien shake as soon as I wake and head to the gym.

A protein shake and a small amount of carbs (malto/dextrose) would be beneficial IMO, and then follow up your training with a post workout shake that contains carbs and protein. Only takes a couple of minutes to down a shake, and by the time the workout starts the nutrients will be hitting your blood stream:)