PDA

View Full Version : Dextrose...what does it do?

reloaded
07-14-2003, 08:57 PM
hey yo. i put whey protein and creatine in my protein shakes post workout. i have heard that dextrose is also good to put in the shake as well. what does dextrose actually do? and is there any more cool supplements that would go good in a shake?

GhettoSmurf
07-14-2003, 09:03 PM
um im not totally familiar with creatine, but i think you are just wasting most of it by mixing it with whey and water.

dextrose is used to spike your insulin and helps refil muscle glycogen(sp?) right away after workout, which can also aid in recovery.

honestly, i think i would choose dextrose/maltodextrin over creatine in a shake.

reloaded
07-14-2003, 09:20 PM
cool...thanks ghettosmurf :)

bradley
07-15-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
um im not totally familiar with creatine, but i think you are just wasting most of it by mixing it with whey and water.

Creatine will still be effective when mixed with water but you will not get as much uptake by the muscles as you would taking it with carbs.

dirty-c
07-15-2003, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

I could be wrong, but I don't see any reason why taking creatine with whey and water would be wasting it (as long as you have dextrose in the mix also). If the point that you're making is that it would be a waste to take it without carbs, then I believe you are correct. If you're suggesting that taking it with whey (even in the presence of carbs) is wasting it, then I don't think thats correct.

But to answer your question, ghettosmurf hit it on the nail. Dextrose is a high GI carb though, so you have to be careful about using TOO much of it. As for how much that quantity should be, I have no idea. Moderators......how much?

bradley
07-15-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by dirty-c
If the point that you're making is that it would be a waste to take it without carbs, then I believe you are correct.

As I stated in my previous post, it is not necessary to take creatine with carbs, but taking it with carbs will help increase the amount of creatine uptake in the muscles.

But to answer your question, ghettosmurf hit it on the nail. Dextrose is a high GI carb though, so you have to be careful about using TOO much of it. As for how much that quantity should be, I have no idea. Moderators......how much?

Well it would depend on several factors but somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-75g post workout. Although if you are taking in more than 50g post workout you would probably want to go with a 50/50 dextrose/malto mixture.