PDA

View Full Version : tinned chick peas??

ishaqmir
07-15-2003, 04:23 PM
hi there

i'm currently on a weight gain diet, and have started eating about 1 can of chickpeas a day, on average, along with with my other foods.

i do this because they are high in carbs and fairly high in protein as well.

would i be ok to eat about a can of these a day?? i do it so that i can meet my daily requirements more easily.

does anyone else eat lots of chickpeas??

i'm also taking meal replacement drinks.

thanks

ish.

bradley
07-15-2003, 04:26 PM
Sure chickpeas are fine, as long as they do not cause you any stomach discomfort. The canned variety do contain a lot of sodium, and if you plan on eating them on a regular basis I would just cook up some of the dried chickpeas at the beginning of the week.

I use to eat them quite often, and they are good thrown in with salads IMO:)

manowar669
07-15-2003, 07:50 PM
I love em, had some today in fact. I use the canned variety, as well as canned kidney beans, etc. I empty the can into a large plastic tupperware, and cover them with water (mix it up). Then I change the water a few times, letting the beans soak for a while each time. I read that this gets rid of a lot of enzymes that cause gas, and a good bit of the sodium. Then I drain off the water and refridgerate them. Use em as I need em. It's not as much a pain as it sounds.

bradley
07-16-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by manowar669
I love em, had some today in fact. I use the canned variety, as well as canned kidney beans, etc. I empty the can into a large plastic tupperware, and cover them with water (mix it up). Then I change the water a few times, letting the beans soak for a while each time. I read that this gets rid of a lot of enzymes that cause gas, and a good bit of the sodium. Then I drain off the water and refridgerate them. Use em as I need em. It's not as much a pain as it sounds.

While rinsing the beans is a good idea because it will remove excess sodium, but it will not help as far as the beans causing gas.

The gas that is associated with eating beans comes from the type of carbohydrates that most beans contain. Stachyose and raffinose are two that come to mind, and these carbs are resisitant to the digestive enzymes because of their structure, and are therefore digested in the colon by the bacteria that live there. This can lead to gas, cramping, bloating, etc.