PDA

View Full Version : should i consume whey after high resistance cardio

chops
07-16-2003, 09:35 PM
my priority right now is to lose fat, 1 lb per week for my upcoming vacation. i know u are going to say incorporate weights! - i did before and I will resume after i get back from vacation.

i either do my cardio on empty (weekends only) or wait 3 hours after eating to do it. i set the resistance high that my legs usually feel a little shaky afterwards. i take this to mean that i'm getting a lower body workout too in addition to the cardio benefit.

i consume a meal of regular food 1 hour post , about 300-350 cals 40/40/20. i wait an hour because i heard this will help maximize fat burning. should i consume a scoop of whey immediately after my cardio to avoid muscle loss, especially considering i'm in kinda a fasted state? if so, then that would impact the meals i have later in the day to balance my macros for 1200 cals!

an example of what i ususally eat post wo:
cottage cheese or grilled chicken 25g
3 cups spinach or 1 cup broccoli
oatmeal/kashi go lean/or cup of fruit 25g
1.5 TB ground flaxseed

(PS i know post high GI recommended but the oatmeal helps curb my apetite)

i have designer whey

Calories 90
Fat 15
Carbohydrates 2 g
Sugars <1 g
Protein 17.5 g 35%

ingredients

ATP® -Full Spectrum Whey Peptides® [modified molecular weight and partially pre-digested (hydrolyzed) Whey Protein Concentrate (incl. ~14% Glycomacropeptides [MW ~6,700 D]), 100% undenatured Whey Protein Isolate (98% pure protein dry basis), Whey Glutamine Peptides (incl. Natural Glutamine Peptides), L-Taurine, L-Leucine, L-Phenylalanine], Cocoa, Glutasynth® (D-Glucose, L-Glutamine, Oligofructose, Glutamine Peptides, Calcium Pyruvate, Glucomannan), Lecithin, Natural and Artificial Chocolate Flavoring, Malic Acid, Cellulose Gum, ZMAX® (Magnesium Aspartate, Zinc Aspartate, Pyridoxine, Zinc Monomethionine), Stevia (for flavor), Acesulfame-K, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Alginate, Sodium Chloride, Dried Cream Extract, Vanillin, Natural Vitamin E, Lactoperoxidase.

ectx
07-16-2003, 10:23 PM
I use to consume a mixed protein (whey and casein) shake with flax post workout. The mixed protein takes longer to break down...which is a good thing in this case...anybody else have anythoughts on this?

GhettoSmurf
07-16-2003, 10:23 PM
IMHO i wouldnt do cardio on empty. i'd just treat my cardio session like i would any weights session. same with pre/post workout nutrition

ectx
07-16-2003, 10:29 PM
I think it depends on your goals ghettosmurf...plus if you're smart enough with your cardio and nutrition you should be fine. ECA helps too. Granted...if your goal is to gain...then yeah...cardio in the morning bad...but to lean up...if you're smart about it not bad. I do 4 cardio sessions a week, and usually only do 2 on an empty stomach...about 20 minutes post eca...and do about 30-40 minutes of cardio, or 16 min Max OT. It's worked well for me. Then again, not everybody's the same.

chops
07-16-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by ectx
I use to consume a mixed protein (whey and casein) shake with flax post workout. The mixed protein takes longer to break down...which is a good thing in this case...anybody else have anythoughts on this?

i did consider for faster digestion, i should use a shake instead of whole food as my meal. the problem with that is i still end up hungry :( .

ectx
07-16-2003, 10:59 PM
that's where the extended release and the two tablespoons of flax come in...helps you feel more full. ;)

let me introduce you to my friend Mr. ECA.:cool:

chops
07-16-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
IMHO i wouldnt do cardio on empty. i'd just treat my cardio session like i would any weights session. same with pre/post workout nutrition

yes, many ppl would agree with you. i find that my workouts on the weekends, when i don't eat, are more difficult to complete. when i reach my weight goal, then i will also change some of my routines.

bradley
07-17-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by chops
i either do my cardio on empty (weekends only) or wait 3 hours after eating to do it. i set the resistance high that my legs usually feel a little shaky afterwards. i take this to mean that i'm getting a lower body workout too in addition to the cardio benefit.

IMO it really depends on your goals and current bf%. Since it sounds as though you are performing some variation of HIIT cardio I would recommend eating something before the session if you are working out first thing in the morning to prevent any muscle catabolism that may occur. If you insist on performing cardio first thing in the morning I would go with low/moderate intensity cardio over HIIT, mainly due to the fact that HIIT is both aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

Performing the cardio session 3 hours after your last meal would be a better approach than first thing in the morning, because you have not eaten for ~8 hours when you train first thing in the morning.

i consume a meal of regular food 1 hour post , about 300-350 cals 40/40/20. i wait an hour because i heard this will help maximize fat burning. should i consume a scoop of whey immediately after my cardio to avoid muscle loss, especially considering i'm in kinda a fasted state? if so, then that would impact the meals i have later in the day to balance my macros for 1200 cals!

I definitely think you need to eat something post workout, and IMO some carbs and protein would probably be your best bet. Granted you will halt fat burning due to the carbs but you will also prevent catabolism and bring your body back to a more anabolic state.

In the end I really do not think it matters that much when you perform your cardio, and finding a routine and eating schedule that allows you to stick with it is more important in the long run. When trying to perform cardio first thing in the morning your intensity will more than likely suffer as opposed to if you had some food before training.

Granted if you were dieting down for a competition it might be necessary for morning cardio to help maximize fat loss, but otherwise I doubt it is going to make that much of a difference.

As far as your other meals go you woud just need to adjust them accordingly based on the contents of your post workout shake.

an example of what i ususally eat post wo:
cottage cheese or grilled chicken 25g
3 cups spinach or 1 cup broccoli
oatmeal/kashi go lean/or cup of fruit 25g
1.5 TB ground flaxseed

This looks fine IMO, but this is assuming that you have some sort of post workout shake;)

(PS i know post high GI recommended but the oatmeal helps curb my apetite)

IMO a small amount of high GI carbs and some protein would be good for your post workout shake. If you were to just take whey by itself some of it would be converted to glucose.

chops
07-17-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by ectx
that's where the extended release and the two tablespoons of flax come in...helps you feel more full. ;)

let me introduce you to my friend Mr. ECA.:cool:

ohhh, got it. i thought u suggested the shake for the fast absorption of protein only, but now i understand why you pointed out "slow release". i will look into it, it has to be something i can easily make at work since the only time i have to work out during the week is during my lunch hour .

eca, eh? i'll do a search on that. thx

chops
07-17-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by bradley

IMO it really depends on your goals and current bf%.
Granted if you were dieting down for a competition it might be necessary for morning cardio to help maximize fat loss, but otherwise I doubt it is going to make that much of a difference.

well my short term goal is to shed 5-7 lbs in *5 weeks*, my bf was 21% when I had it checked 6 weeks ago. i know 5 lbs doesnt sound like it will make a big difference, but 5 lbs will go a long way on my frame. my long term goal will be to maintain that weight but increase my lbm.

i did lose a few lbs but then end of june, i had foot surgery and couldn't work out for a week, combined with a family vacation at the same time. my diet went off plan during this time, this was ok since it was planned. i got back on track and was doing very well. a couple weeks ago i injured my knee. i had to cut back on the excercise and my BAD, my diet went off plan since i wasn't working out. i'm back at original weight. this wieght is very hard for me to lose, as i've been the same weight since middle school.

In the end I really do not think it matters that much when you perform your cardio, and finding a routine and eating schedule that allows you to stick with it is more important in the long run.

i rise at 6:30am, work a full day, then head straight to night class 2x a week. on school nights, i get home at 11pm. on non school night i get home at 6 and the gym is crazy busy at that time and i would end up waiting to use equipment. if i work out later, i have trouble sleeping too. i also have a lot of homework to complete in the evenings. pretty much the only thing i can be consistent with is weekends and my lunch time.

i've tried doing in the mornings. i can't wake up earlier than 6:30 and function normally. likewise, i can't do it late, sleep late, then function normal the next morning.

If you were to just take whey by itself some of it would be converted to glucose.
i don't understand what this means?

bradley
07-18-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by chops

well my short term goal is to shed 5-7 lbs in *5 weeks*, my bf was 21% when I had it checked 6 weeks ago. i know 5 lbs doesnt sound like it will make a big difference, but 5 lbs will go a long way on my frame. my long term goal will be to maintain that weight but increase my lbm.

I agree, 5lbs. is a good bit when you weight ~110lbs.

i did lose a few lbs but then end of june, i had foot surgery and couldn't work out for a week, combined with a family vacation at the same time. my diet went off plan during this time, this was ok since it was planned. i got back on track and was doing very well. a couple weeks ago i injured my knee. i had to cut back on the excercise and my BAD, my diet went off plan since i wasn't working out. i'm back at original weight. this wieght is very hard for me to lose, as i've been the same weight since middle school.

Sounds as though you are right around your natural set point. Have you though about incorporating a refeed once a week or so to help ensure that your metabolism does not slow due a decrease in leptin levels?

i rise at 6:30am, work a full day, then head straight to night class 2x a week. on school nights, i get home at 11pm. on non school night i get home at 6 and the gym is crazy busy at that time and i would end up waiting to use equipment. if i work out later, i have trouble sleeping too. i also have a lot of homework to complete in the evenings. pretty much the only thing i can be consistent with is weekends and my lunch time.

Like I mentioned earlier I do no think the timing is as important as some make it out to be. The main thing is that you are training at some point during the day.:)

i don't understand what this means?

What I mean is that post workout the body wants glucose so the probability that the liver will oxidize some of the protein is likely (gluconeogenensis). Not to mention the fact that whey digests very rapidly which would also increase the likelihood that it would be used for energy (converted to glucose).