PDA

View Full Version : Spinach?

Ed C.
07-17-2003, 02:15 PM
You know...those old Popeye shows where he eats Spinach and becomes buff man. Is there any truth to it and are there any benefits from Spinach to weightlifting, etc?

lol, its just something I thought of while in the shower and singing the Popeye Theme Song. :p

AdamGberg
07-17-2003, 02:28 PM
holy crap! i was gonna post this same exact thread earlier today!!! wow!! LOL!! my friend had his cell phone with that ringer before going into the gym and we talked about it, but couldn't resolve anything!! LOL

Isaac Wilkins
07-17-2003, 06:38 PM
Well, spinach is a great source of micronutrients. It has its share of fiber and whatnot, too. It won't make you strong like Popeye, of course.

I suppose, since it is a high vegetable source of iron, if you were borderline anemic and at a large amount of spinach you might feel some effect. That would be rare and in passing, however. If you actually ARE anemic, there are better ways to go about treatment over choking down spinach.

I, personally, like spinach.

Ironman8
07-17-2003, 08:12 PM
I think they make Popeye get strong by eating spinach because, well, they want kids to eat it. It doesn't really make you bigger or stronger, it's just good for you.

Isaac Wilkins
07-17-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
I think they make Popeye get strong by eating spinach because, well, they want kids to eat it. It doesn't really make you bigger or stronger, it's just good for you.

I really hoped that hadn't gone over anyone's head.

GonePostal
07-17-2003, 08:47 PM
The iron in spinach can't be absorbed very easily (if at all) by your bodd... well that is what I heard at least

hemants
07-18-2003, 09:57 AM
Spinach has the highest iron content per calorie of any food.

It is also high in folic acid.

To absorb iron you need vitamin C present.

bradley
07-18-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by hemants

Spinach contains oxalates and phytates which can hinder the absorption of the iron contained in spinach, as well as other minerals.

Isaac Wilkins
07-18-2003, 02:19 PM

That's really a non-issue. Per calorie? Spinach is very low in calories.

It was more of a joke than anything else, people.

;)

body
07-18-2003, 02:21 PM

Are you sure about that.

beside the main folk lore regarding spinach was that in some old research working out its iron level, they got the decimal point in the wrong place. so everyone thought it had ten time more spinach than it really had.

plus for iron content in foods. look at some dried herbs, some of them are loaded with iron, but a 15 gram jar lasts about month so you lack quanitie to get anything worth while from them.

Tryska
07-18-2003, 02:36 PM
I'm popeye the sailorman (toot toot)
i'm popeye the sailorman
I'm strong to the finich
cuz i eats my spinach
i'm popeye the sailorman (toot toot)

body
07-18-2003, 02:44 PM
i tought you were olive oil? (though the new version with bigger biceps of course).

<--------i am brutus.

i want to be naturally strong. I do not want to be strong on AS like popeye is (after spinach not anabolic steroids).

Tryska
07-18-2003, 03:08 PM
*lmao* i don't like olive oyl tho. she's ugly and way too skinny.

and she doesn't have a cool song.

*lol*@ after spinach, btw.

she did fall in love with the man on the flying trapeze tho. and if he looks anything like the yummy cirque du soleil twins, i'm all for it.

AdamGberg
07-18-2003, 03:28 PM
"I'm strong to the finich"

what does that mean?

toot toot

Tryska
07-18-2003, 03:36 PM
finish - but he rhymes it with spinach.

remember popeye's got some sort of speech impediment?

AdamGberg
07-18-2003, 03:41 PM
LOL! i am retarded....

time to grub out on on some spinish...

restless
07-18-2003, 03:56 PM
The iron in spinach is non-heme and thus it's asorption rate is only a fraction of that of proper organic iron, like the one in red meat. Even if you meet your RDA intake on non-heme iron you'll still be deficient on it.

Spinach is a great food though.