PDA

View Full Version : cals too low for weight loss?

unshift
07-17-2003, 05:12 PM
lately i've been maintaining my weight... im pretty sure im in a caloric deficit though. here's my diet:

pre-workout:
glass milk
cup cheerios
1 scoop whey

post-workout:
oatmeal
2 scoops whey

throughout the daytime (while at work):
2 turkey rollups
2 natural PB&J sandwiches

family dinner (steak/chicken)

before bed, 2 scoops whey mixed with milk

as for workouts, im doing full body (squats/DL/bench/lat pulldown/clean and jerk) and keeping it somewhat of a cardio workout with very short rests... this should expend lots of cals i'm guessing. im 280lbs, pretty overweight, but have a pretty good amount of muscle (not sure about BF%, guessing 25%). i've been doing this for the past couple of weeks and haven't really lost any weight.

would the lack of loss because this is actually my maintenance level, or am i in starvation mode? i can't tell... i get often enough that i dont stay hungry very long but i'm really not sure if this is enough calories for my body, any suggestions?

Holto
07-17-2003, 05:33 PM
the real question is how many cals are you getting

Wizard
07-17-2003, 06:44 PM
Yea, you can't lose weight cuz your caloric intake is too low. You need more food and especially quality food like EFAs (the pb sandwich is ok but not enough), complex carbs and some milk protein before bed instead of whey.
Increase the variety and eat more quality foods.

Sinep
07-18-2003, 04:48 AM
You know man, I'm in the same boat as you right now... I was taking 2100 calories and didn't lose **** even with cardio and everything. I've upped my calories to 3000 and I'll be going from there.

unshift
07-18-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Wizard
Yea, you can't lose weight cuz your caloric intake is too low. You need more food and especially quality food like EFAs (the pb sandwich is ok but not enough), complex carbs and some milk protein before bed instead of whey.
Increase the variety and eat more quality foods.

i'm definitely going to pick up some fish oil caps for EFAs, what are some good complex carbs that are easy to make and bring to work?

Khar
07-18-2003, 07:06 AM
Ya that looks as if you are getting way under 2000 cals/day unless those are some monster PB&J Sandwiches and Turkey Rollups. Count your cals, then increase it by a few hundred and see how you do for 2 weeks, then increase/decrease as needed in small amounts until you are either losing or gaining, whichever you desire.

Fenbay
07-18-2003, 08:03 AM
You probably need to do a refeed from time to time if you're in a big time calo deficit.

Aka posted a study back during the Korean War which looked at the affect of starvation. Basically the body was able in some cases to lower its metabolism by up to 40%. That's pretty friggin insane if you think about it.

I've come to the conclusion that working a long-term successful diet is all about tricking your body to stay the hell out of starvation mode because your body will no doubt win out over you and your grand designs of trying to keep calories low etc.

Lyle Mcdonald's interview touches on this when he talks about leptin levels and refeeds etc.

I'm currently trying to determine the best times for my refeeds/ carb ups on my keto diet as well.

bradley
07-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by unshift

i'm definitely going to pick up some fish oil caps for EFAs, what are some good complex carbs that are easy to make and bring to work?

If you have some tupperware containers you can throw pretty much take whatever you want to work with you, and it helps if you have access to a microwave. Some complex carbs that I pack for my meals on the go include things like ww bread (sandwiches), sweet potatoes, oats, fruit, veggies, beans, rice, and pasta. Most of these foods you can heat up at work or cook at the beginning of the week. A little planning will make it much easier when trying to get your meals together each day:)

bradley
07-18-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Fenbay
You probably need to do a refeed from time to time if you're in a big time calo deficit.

While I agree with the above statement, the individual's bf% would come into play as well. If you are above ~15% bf then refeeds are not going to have much, if any metabolic benefits.