PDA

View Full Version : how many protein shakes do you have a day?

Stabber
07-17-2003, 09:33 PM
me? I have one in the morning, one post workout, and one before bed.

1 scoop each shake. So like 22gr of protein.

Trying to judge if i intake too much or too little. I go through Muscle Provider in like a freakin week and the stuff is $33

GonePostal
07-17-2003, 09:42 PM
I used to take 1 a day... now that I am a bit more busy and seriously bulking I have upped it a bit and take 20 grams of whey after each of the 3 "main" meals.

Manveet
07-17-2003, 09:51 PM
1 scoop twice a day.

On training days I have an extra scoop and a half.

NigriV
07-17-2003, 09:52 PM
3 scoops 3 times a day

GhettoSmurf
07-17-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by NigriV
3 scoops 3 times a day

1 post workout, and none unless i know i wont be home and need to make an MRP

Spartacus
07-17-2003, 09:57 PM
half a scoop of whey right when i get up since its about 20 minutes till i can get breakfast

half a scoop whey pre- and 1 half scoop whey post-workout

1 scoop soy about 2 hours after dinner

the rest of the day its lots of milk, eggs, meat, and beans

cphafner
07-17-2003, 11:40 PM
normally...

3 or 4(depends if I can drag my butt out of bed to cook breakfast). 5 hasn't been unheard of...

Bruise Brubaker
07-17-2003, 11:41 PM
None.

Ironman8
07-18-2003, 12:03 AM
Just 1 post-workout.

JuniorMint6669
07-18-2003, 12:33 AM
1 preworkout, 1 postworkout

AJ_11
07-18-2003, 01:27 AM
:withstupi

bradley
07-18-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Stabber
me? I have one in the morning, one post workout, and one before bed.

1 scoop each shake. So like 22gr of protein.

Trying to judge if i intake too much or too little. I go through Muscle Provider in like a freakin week and the stuff is $33

It all depends on how much protein you are getting from whole food sources. If you are able to get enough from whole food then that would probably be the cheaper way to go, especially since you are using Beverly International products which are quite expensive.

I use a shake pre/post workout and then the rest of my protein comes from whole food sources. I find that whole food is much more filling than drinking shakes, which is important IMO when trying to lose bf.:)

Y2A
07-18-2003, 07:35 AM
1 in the morning, 1 at night (whether I work out or not).

papaoso2k1
07-18-2003, 08:45 AM
I have 1 in the morning with breakfast...2 scoops post-workout and one scoop before bed...

gino
07-18-2003, 09:15 AM
Whey shake for breakfast and post-workout. 2 scoops(45-50g) each.

aka23
07-18-2003, 09:31 AM
None. There is little evidence that protein shakes are superior to whole foods, except possibly near workouts. Bodybuilders do not need to take in huge amounts of protein to build muscle. After a certain point, the extra protein offeres little benefit. 1g/lb of protein is probably more than enough for natural, amateur weighlifters. Research suggests a minimum closer to 0.8g/lb. Some related studies are linked below:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9841962&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1400008&dopt=Abstract

There may actually be some small hormonal and anabolic benefits to decreasing protein and keeping a high carb/protein ratio during a bulk. Some realted discussions are linked below:

http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=1165
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=12;t=7

Another possible reason for taking protein shakes is their quick absorbtion and digestion. This may be helpful near a workout, but I feel there is little benefit at other times and whole foods can offer nearly the same benefit. Whey type protein shakes may even be inferior to slower more longer acting whole proteins when taken away from the workout.

Below are some related articles and quotes from them:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/5834/protein.html
"However, new research frowns upon the use of whey protein alone. Because whey is so easily digested, new studies (#7 and #8) have shown that casein may have an advantage over whey. The first study showed that whey takes three hours to digest alone and casein six hours. Even though whey has a better amino acid ratio, the casein makes up for this because it is digested more slowly. Because of the speed at which the whey is digested, some of the aminos donít get used for muscle protein synthesis, but instead they get used for energy. The second study proved that adding carbohydrates to protein only added 5% utilization to the protein. After all this controversy it is difficult to recommend or discourage supplemental protein. ...

For a serious athlete it might be good to ingest some whey or egg hydrolysate protein immediately after a workout because, even if some aminos are used for energy, some muscle repairing aminos will quickly stop the destruction working out has created. However, for the average individual or even a moderate athlete whole foods should supply plenty of adequate protein and negate any need for supplements. Whole foods can also supply extra benefits such as vitamins and minerals. Consumers should remember that supplemental proteins are all taken from whole food sources and that if one eats certain whole foods, the same value protein will be obtained."

http://www.femalemuscle.com/library/weekly/aa101399.htm
". Even in considering post-workout nutrition, there is still little proof that a liquid protein-carb complex will actually produce better muscular growth than whole foods, as long as complete whole food protein foods and complex carbohydrates are consumed immediately after the training session and every three waking hours for a period of 24 hours thereafter. "

the doc
07-18-2003, 09:52 AM
whole foods are unquestionable the best.

whey is very overrated, checkout the new article on this on the WBB.com homepage.

Besides post workout, a protein blend (egg, milk, soy) is unquestionably superiour to whey alone in terms of a more constant source of aminos.

Just remember, shakes are supplements, and not replacements for whole food meals.

also, you might save some money, and shop around for your protein *supps*

the doc
07-18-2003, 09:53 AM
also, milk is a very nice protein to purchase. It is about 20% whey, 80% casein, and most contain very little if any lactose. Throw in some egg, and you have a very nice blend

Holto
07-18-2003, 02:23 PM

Berserker
07-18-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Spartacus
half a scoop of whey right when i get up since its about 20 minutes till i can get breakfast

I had to laugh at this. You sleep for 7-8 hours but you can't wait 20 minutes? Even if you eat during the night 20 minutes is nothing.
I have 1.5-2 after a wo. Sometimes if I am in a rush and missing a meal.
I pretty much agree with AKA23. Peopel are taking to much. Unless your diet sucks you shouldn't need more then 1 a day.

LAM
07-18-2003, 03:02 PM
I get 50% of my daily protein requirements from powdered supplements, so about 175 grams. I've been doing so for the past 20 years.

technogeeky
07-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Will you people make up your freakin minds? One day you say one thing, the next day you say the oppisite.

restless
07-18-2003, 03:59 PM
I have 60 gr of protein powder per day, everyday except when I take breaks from working out.

bradley
07-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by aka23
None. There is little evidence that protein shakes are superior to whole foods, except possibly near workouts.

While I agree with the point you are making, shakes do offer benefits over whole foods. Some individuals find it hard to consume enough protein and calories throughout the day, and in this case shakes are very useful.

taken from the following site: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/5834/protein.html

"Whole foods can also supply extra benefits such as vitamins and minerals. Consumers should remember that supplemental proteins are all taken from whole food sources and that if one eats certain whole foods, the same value protein will be obtained."

While that is true you would be hard pressed to find a whole food source that contains 100% whey, casien, etc.

SoulOfKoRea
07-18-2003, 05:50 PM
1 with breakfast, 1 before bed

1 with 2 scoops of whey pwo on training days