PDA

View Full Version : Smart Ones For Lunch?

seib3377
07-17-2003, 11:55 PM
I'm looking for some nutrition advice.

As some of you might have read I'm already determined to lose weight and get in much better shape. I've been reading about about various routines and diets but I'm not sure if the diets are for me.

Like most people I excessively overeat. To the point where a normal size meal for me is roughly 2 or 3 for the average person my age. To cut some of the calories I was thinking about eating Weight Watchers Smart Ones.

Typically for lunch we grab fast food or whatevers available - never anything REMOTELY healthy. I was thinking about packing one of these everyday as I go to work.

I'm a college student so the $2 price tag really appeals to me and I couldn't afford some of the diets I've been reading about.

I imagine eating healthy is the first step to getting in better shape. Although I need to up my protein intake, which I think I can do through buying whey powder (correct?) I need to drastically cut my calories. Are these sub 300 calorie meals good?

The one I had for lunch has the following nutritional facts:

Salsbury Steak (delicious btw)
Calories: 260 (from Fat: 50)
Total Fat: 6g
Sat. Fat: 3g
Polyunsat: .5g
Monounsat: 2g
Cholesterol: 30mg
Sodium: 790mg
Total Carbs: 25g
Dietary Fibers: 4g
Sugars: 4g
Protein: 22g

The rest of the meals are fairly similar to these statistics.

Do you think I should be eating these for lunch?

Ironman8
07-18-2003, 12:02 AM
Sure. As long as you're in a calories deficit at the end of they day, you'll lose weight.

gopher
07-18-2003, 02:25 AM
They are a much better choice than fast foods. If these will help you avoid going to Mickey Ds and over eating on fries and Big Macs I say go with it.

p_t
07-18-2003, 04:12 AM
I would definatly say that it is alot of mental control that you need. You say you eat 2-3 times the normal person of junk....
Well as hard as it might be eat like a salad to start. Then after that order what you want according to your hunger and not your cravings. Then take your diet steps from there every meal until you are at a diet witch you will be truely proud of.

bradley
07-18-2003, 10:31 AM
The Smart Ones meals would be fine IMO, and probably the greatest advantage in your situation would be portion control. You could incorporate meals such as the one you described above along with some more EFAs and have a good solid base for your diet. You might add in some healthy snacks between meals if you get hungry, but just keep in mind that you do need calories to support your activities.

In other words don't cut cals too drastically, make sure you are taking in adequate protein, and don't forget about healthy fats.