PDA

View Full Version : The Zone Diet... Wtf?

p_t
07-18-2003, 03:49 AM
I was reading about this zone diet. It didn't tell what it was meant to do but it's%40 calories from carbs %30 cals from protien and %30 cals from fat. So to me that sounds like a bulking diet without near enough protien (so maybe it sounds like a fating diet) hence the"WTF".

Blood&Iron
07-18-2003, 06:53 AM
Barry Sears, who came up with it, bills it as good for everything.
So, basically it's 'meant' for everything from elite athletes hoping to optimize their performance to people wanting to lose weight to those who just want to improve their health. I don't think it's a bad diet at all. Sears' emphasis on hormonal factors (when their not understood with the sort of certainty he makes it seem like they are) is a bit unfortunate, though.

The protein levels are adjusted based on activity level. If you're working out a lot, I think it actually goes up to 1g/lb lbm. For sedentary individuals, they're quite a bit lower.

The one big flaw with the diet IMO is that the calorie levels are just way too low.

Wu36
07-19-2003, 12:21 AM
What B&I said, I did try it a few years ago, although i upped the number of meals. Not a bad diet at all.