PDA

View Full Version : help getting big/gaining strength

zepata
07-18-2003, 07:15 AM
Hi I just signed up here after reading a bunch of the threads, you guys really seem to know your stuff. Anyway i was hoping I could get some answers on some things. First off, im almost 18 (bout 8 more days), im 5'10" and i weigh ~138-140 lbs. I've been lifting for bout a year and half but fairly strictly the last 7 months. I'm pretty cut but I want to gain some weight and some strength. I guess i would aim to get to about 160lbs then cut back down. I've been stuck for a while with not gaining much strength, (benching like 195 max the last 3 months or so), so it seems like im kinda stuck. 1st question: What type of foods should I eat? I'm sure i could put on weight pretty easily.
2nd question: About how long should I do this for? I like having an 8 pak, but i'd give it up for more strength with no problem.
heres my split:
Mon: Chest/Tri's
Tues: Break
Wed: Bi's/back
Thurs: Legs/Shoulders
Fri: Break
Sat: Chest/Tri's
Sun: Break

Please tell me how my routine looks as well, in consideration to what im trying to gain here. Thanks a lot.

SoulOfKoRea
07-18-2003, 07:24 AM
sorry but I'm kinda in a hurry so i can't go into detail, but I'm sure bradley will follow up on this soon :)

geez, you're identical to me! even your goals :).

types of food - high protein, and essential fatty acids.

plan your meals beforehand, write it down on a piece of paper or track your cals using a site like www.fitday.com

how long? as long as you want to....

why do you work chest/tri's twice? if you're working with intensity then two workouts of the same muscle a week might be the answer to your dilemma, try doing chest/tri's once a week and switch legs to wed, bi's/back to friday

zepata
07-18-2003, 08:23 AM
Thanks for your response; I guess i do tri's/chest twice just becuase i like to be in the gym more than 3 times a week. I tried doing chest once a week, and the next week i tried it and it seemed like i had lost some strength, and i got real sore after too. I do intense (till failure) on everything, so I dont know if this soreness is a good thing or a bad thing? Maybe i lost some strength cause i wasnt eating much.. My calories are generally only about 1500 a day, on average, though yesterday i was happy cause i pulled off 2120 calories, still probably not the great accumulation though.

gino
07-18-2003, 10:36 AM
You do chest/tris on saturday and again on monday? That's not good at all. Instead of having set days to do your workouts, just try a 2 days on/one day off split. That way you'll hit everything more than once every 7 days, but not too much.

gino
07-18-2003, 10:42 AM
Oh yeah, and for christ's sake, eat more. My 105 lb mother eats 1700 calories a day(she's a bodybuilder, so she counts calories). Eat NO LESS than 2,500 calories. That's probably won't help you much though considering your goals, so I'd suggest more like the 3,500

zepata
07-18-2003, 11:39 AM
I should have probably been clearer on my first post.. See I do chest/tri's on sat in this example yes, but if i was to do them on that day then on monday i would do back/bi's and then tues shoulders/legs.. I know not to overtrain and stuff, its mainly the diet that I need to get down. I am low on calories, i relaly need to get htem up, can anyone give any good food examples? Greatly appreciate any advice really, thanks.