PDA

View Full Version : calories-still don't get it.

the rock
07-18-2003, 07:50 AM
i still don't get this, if you eat to much calories you get fat, if you eat to little you don't lose weight. i am trying to find a balance here so can someone tell me what is the amount of calories that someone should be taking if they play basketball everyday and workout every second day( full body routines)? i want to lose my love handles and there are weeks that i lose fat and weeks that i gain fat. i am lost:confused: :confused:

Khar
07-18-2003, 07:53 AM
It is different for every person out there. Start tracking your calories and choose say 2600 cals and see if you maintain/lose/gain weight. Try that for 2 weeks and if you lose, then your golden, if you maintain drop them by 200 or so. If in the small case you gain, drop them more.

Fenbay
07-18-2003, 07:58 AM
Welcome to the world of trying to figure out the most complicated organism on the planet.

Basically you need to determine roughly your basal metabolism. There are some standard formulas you can use to get a ball park idea. Then you simply adjust down that caloric intake by about 500 calories or so if you are cutting which is what you'd be doing if you want to lose the love handles.

There are a million other factors but the simple basis is that if you create a calorie deficit you have to burn energy from somewhere other than what you take in and IF your bringing in proper nutrients your body will go for the fat more than the muscle to burn because your body has a much easier time breaking down fat into energy than say protein <muscle>.

I'd be sure to take in roughly 12g*LBM (12 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass) of protein while cutting to try and spare as much muscle as possible.

There's other folks here with 10 times my knowledge who will be able to get you a more in-depth idea, but what I've told you is the basics that you should be shooting for.

Sinep
07-18-2003, 09:21 AM
The body can adapt to a certain extent. People refer to body switching to starvation mode when the body become efficient at not using calories. The body can also become efficient at burning calories when you eat too much. For example for me it becomes really hard to put on fat when I reach a certain level of bodyfat even if I eat over 4k calories a day. Either way you can always break the barrier and lose/add fat. I basicaly did my first bodybuilding show that way, by going on a 125 calories diet a day. My body was then eating my body (muscle and fat) but I was cut in the end. If you eat 8k calories a day, no metabolism is gonna stop you from packing the pounds. A proper dieting consist of finding the just middle and play with it delicatly.

the rock
07-18-2003, 06:51 PM
what are some foods high in protien?

STM
07-18-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Fenbay

I'd be sure to take in roughly 12g*LBM (12 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass) of protein while cutting to try and spare as much muscle as possible.

There's other folks here with 10 times my knowledge who will be able to get you a more in-depth idea, but what I've told you is the basics that you should be shooting for.

I hope you mean calories. 12g per LBM protein..i would be at 2280g of protein :D

bradley
07-19-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by the rock
what are some foods high in protien?

Lean beef, poultry, eggs, fish, dairy products, or you can always up your protein intake with some shakes/MRPs. Although if possible I would save the shakes for pre/post workout and stick with whole foods the rest of the day.:)

i still don't get this, if you eat to much calories you get fat, if you eat to little you don't lose weight. i am trying to find a balance here so can someone tell me what is the amount of calories that someone should be taking if they play basketball everyday and workout every second day( full body routines)? i want to lose my love handles and there are weeks that i lose fat and weeks that i gain fat. i am lost

Well you need to take in enough calories so as your body does not think you are starving, but yet still be in a calorie deficit at the end of the day. Basically you want to try and lose a small amount of weight each week, and you can accomplish this by creating a calorie deficit through diet, activity, or a combination of the two.

To determine how many calories you need to accomplish this, first off figure up how many cals you are eating each day right now. You can use www.fitday.com to help you track your cals if you like. Once you determine how many cals you are taking in on an average day, the next step would be to decrease/increase daily cals in small increments each week until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week (~1lb). For example if you are maintaining your current bw at 2,500 cals, then the following week you would drop them to ~2,200 cals and at the end of the week see if you lost any weight.

IMO this process also allows you to "adjust" so to speak to the lower calorie level, as well as avoid dropping cals too low initially.