PDA

View Full Version : Little remark

Sinep
07-18-2003, 08:31 AM
Since Lyle's interview , it seems that people here pay way too much attention to refeeds. As much as you can't open a diet thread without finding someone say "Do you do your refeeds to keep up your 'whatever' (forgot the word) level up?". I'm not saying refeeding is wrong, in fact it is a theory that has been supported for years before Lyle came along and I do it myself when I diet but I don't think refeeding is the miraculous answer like people here seem to think. Years ago people swore that doing cardio in the morning on an empty stomach was the Godly answer to losing weight. Now you don't even hear about it anymore, in fact I've read articles saying it is probably worst. I'm not trying to take credits away from the refeed theory, but I do want to point out that some of you seems to get brainwashed quite easily by a single article (or 3). I think scientist and nutrionist like to over brag their 'scienticly supported' belief and every little thing they discover become the next big thing in dieting.

Frankster
07-18-2003, 08:40 AM
I think you're in a bad mood because you didn't do your refeed dude.

Seriously though I know what you mean.. having been in this for almost 6 years... It's entertaining to see the so called "pros" contradict themselves over the years.. like the cardio on the empty stomach thing you pointed out.. funny thing is they have scientific proof of why it works.. and also why it DOESNT work.
I've learned pretty quickly in the beginning to take in the info but don't live by it...test it out and see for yourself what works and build your own little bodybuilding knowledge base.
Sometime it's what the bodybuilding gurus say are completelly false and is only a myth that works best for you.

Fenbay
07-18-2003, 08:45 AM
Well perhaps refeeds get so much attention because they make great logical sense??

The body always tries to keep itself homeostatic and responds outside forces as such. One of the studies Aka32 provided where the body literally reduced basal metabolic rate by 40% certainly rings home to me as something worth considering when you artificially throw your body into starvation mode.

Everything is still under study and there is no right or wrong answer yet. Maybe one day there will be, but until then we try and learn as much as we can and apply it. Maybe tomorrow refeed theory will be proven total B.S. until then they make great sense to me.

Frankster
07-18-2003, 08:48 AM
it does make great sense... it's not new though.. I first learned of this concept a few years back with the ABCDE diet. I think what Sinep is saying is more in general than this particular example and even this example.. people shouldn't believe 100% of it since in 2 years.. they're gonna find that this approach is very dangerous and liptin is the main cause of cancer or somthing :p

bradley
07-18-2003, 11:12 AM
Since new processes, hormones, etc. are continually being discovered you have to accept the fact that things are going to change. That is what progress is all about, and if we knew everything there is to know about the human body then we could just come up with a fool proof plan to lose weight.

As frankster mentioned everyone is different and you have to take the information and apply it, and then determine for yourself what works best for you. Not everyone will need to refeed at the same time or maybe not at all, but I believe it has been well established that having a cheat day/refeed has metabolic benefits when trying to diet down to a low bf%.

raniali
07-18-2003, 11:39 AM
sinep - i totally agree with you that things should be taken at face value and not immediately be made a dieting mantra .... but in support of refeeds, i have found that after 2-4 months of HARD dieting, i can eat WHATEVER i want for 2-4 weeks afterwards without gaining a single pound AND i feel PHENOMENAL. my body is certainly happy with refeeding.

SoulOfKoRea
07-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by raniali
sinep - i totally agree with you that things should be taken at face value and not immediately be made a dieting mantra .... but in support of refeeds, i have found that after 2-4 months of HARD dieting, i can eat WHATEVER i want for 2-4 weeks afterwards without gaining a single pound AND i feel PHENOMENAL. my body is certainly happy with refeeding.

*bump*

I think there's too much negativity towards "refeeding", but after I refeed, I can go the whole next week without even thinking bout junk foods, but I'd have to say that people have somehow converted "refeeds" into "cheat days" - which, would not be good.