PDA

View Full Version : Important Protein Question!!

defcon
07-18-2003, 07:31 PM
Hey everyone, i have been reading that you people ( Bradley ) suggest that i should get 1 gram/lb of bodyweight right? well is that only including protein from animals and protein shakes? or do you also include the incomplete proteins found in rolled oats and nuts and that type of thing.. Thanx in advance.

SoulOfKoRea
07-18-2003, 08:14 PM
all proteins, the proteins found in rolled oats aren't "incomplete", rather they are just complementary to complete protein sources

bradley
07-19-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by defcon
Hey everyone, i have been reading that you people ( Bradley ) suggest that i should get 1 gram/lb of bodyweight right?

That should be plenty:)

well is that only including protein from animals and protein shakes? or do you also include the incomplete proteins found in rolled oats and nuts and that type of thing.. Thanx in advance.

As SoulofKorea stated there is really no such thing as incomplete and complete proteins. Most all proteins contain all of the amino acids so the term incomplete is not really accurate, although some proteins such as vegetable proteins are limited by a certain amino acid. This is where the term limiting amino acid comes from. This should not be a concern if you are taking in a variety of protein sources, because the other protein sources will have enough amino acids to make up for the limiting amino acids.

In other words count all of your protein.:)

defcon
07-19-2003, 07:30 AM
Great, thanx to the both of you :)

Holto
07-19-2003, 08:45 AM
I personally don't count anything toward my protein total but the following:

meat
milk
egg's
protein supp's
soy (the odd time I consume it)

everything else I only count for the sake of cals

I also get the majority of my protein from supps unless I'm cutting

if you can gain well with 1 gram per and counting everything toward your total that is all that matters

my gains improved when I stopped counting protein sources that lacked all 8 EAA's

bradley
07-19-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Holto
my gains improved when I stopped counting protein sources that lacked all 8 EAA's

According to this article all proteins contain the essential or indespinsible amino acids (except for gelatin).

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/mcdonald/protein-01.htm