PDA

View Full Version : No carbs / low cals at night

Talontsiawd
07-19-2003, 11:12 AM
So I'm doing the no carbs 6 hours before bed thing. A can of tuna only has like 150 calories, eggs barely have any either. What no/low carb foods are high in calories? Is it bad what I'm doing by cutting down my carbs + calories before bed?

john26
07-19-2003, 12:05 PM
personally, i don't believe that ceasing carb after 6pm or whatever will alter the laws of thermodynamics

SoulOfKoRea
07-19-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by john26
personally, i don't believe that ceasing carb after 6pm or whatever will alter the laws of thermodynamics

agreed.

SquareHead
07-19-2003, 12:13 PM
I belive it helps. This is just from personal experience though I have no studies to back it up. And as for if its bad or not. I guess it depends on how far your cutting down your total calories before bed. 6 hours may be a bit long becasue I would have 2 meals in that time. Whey protien would be another low carb choice before bed.

donraja
07-19-2003, 12:54 PM

how does it alter the laws of thermodynamics ?

Talontsiawd
07-19-2003, 01:15 PM
Are you guys saying basically it's fine to eat carbs late at night, as long as they are the good ones? My goal is to use fat in morning cardio. Isn't the basic idea to get your blood glucose level down so you use fat for fuel instead of carbs? I also do something active ~3 hours before bed.
I'm going for maximum fat loss...

Holto
07-19-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by SquareHead
I belive it helps. This is just from personal

is the difference really a matter of total cals...

meaning when employing this strategy are you simply taking in less total cals in a day

Holto
07-19-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Talontsiawd
Are you guys saying basically it's fine to eat carbs late at night

absolutely

all these rules are just wishfull thinking

I can cut while eating an entire meal right before bed

SoulOfKoRea
07-19-2003, 03:40 PM
even if it were true that eating carbs at night or food in general at night led to fat gain(which isn't the case anyways...), ask yourself this - would you rather gain a little fat or lose a little hard earned muscle during the night?

LAM
07-19-2003, 05:39 PM
wether or not to consume carbs or not at night depends on the type and amount of carbs and the level of activity at night.

the key to fat loss is to control insulin not supress it...

bradley
07-20-2003, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by SquareHead
Whey protien would be another low carb choice before bed.

Whey protein would not be an ideal protein source before bed, unless you were to mix it with milk or something else to slow its absorption. Some of the whey would be oxidized by the liver which would kind of go against what you are saying in your post about minimizing insulin before bed.

bradley
07-20-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Talontsiawd
Are you guys saying basically it's fine to eat carbs late at night, as long as they are the good ones?

I really do not think it is going to make that much of a difference whether you eat high or low GI carbs before bed. Total cals will be the main determining factor as to whether or not you lose weight. The WBB roundtable addresses this topic as well.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=109&pageid=1

A slow digesting protein and a little fat are usually recommended before bed because of the sustained release of amino acids that this type of meal will cause.

Isn't the basic idea to get your blood glucose level down so you use fat for fuel instead of carbs? I also do something active ~3 hours before bed.
I'm going for maximum fat loss... [/B]

While you are correct with the above statement, you also have to remember that you run an increased risk of catabolizing muscle tissue when performing increased amount of cardio on an empty stomach.