PDA

View Full Version : Carb Up Question



donescobar2000
07-19-2003, 12:16 PM
Today I have decided to carb up since I feel tired as hell. What should I aim for? I am 5'4 169. I was thinking 230 or should I go for more? Also What should I aim for in fat? So far I have 20 grams. Protien I am matching with my bodywieght.

bradley
07-19-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by donescobar2000
Today I have decided to carb up since I feel tired as hell. What should I aim for? I am 5'4 169. I was thinking 230 or should I go for more? Also What should I aim for in fat? So far I have 20 grams. Protien I am matching with my bodywieght.

You want to make sure that you eat a little over maintenance cals, and the general recommendation is maintenance cals*1.1-1.2.

Make sure and get ~1g of protein per lb. of bw, ~15% of cals from fat, and fill in the rest of you daily cals with carbs. Don't forget about EFAs which should be included in the 15%.

I am assuming you are referring to a refeed:)

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

donescobar2000
07-19-2003, 03:44 PM
So let me get this right....I need to double my current cutting cals and add more? More would be about 500 cals. This would be with cardio and weight training. That is about 3900 kcals. THAT'S A LOT!!! Assuming that I am correct, is this ideal for someone my height and current weight(5'3.5 at 169? I do do cardio 4 days a week, and lift 5 days a week. Also I should do this refeed for two straight days or should I spread it out? I assume I am around 10% because i can slightly see my abs. Today I only lifted so I did not burn 500 kcal but i did help my father for 2 hours on some housework.

bradley
07-19-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by donescobar2000
So let me get this right....I need to double my current cutting cals and add more? More would be about 500 cals. This would be with cardio and weight training. That is about 3900 kcals. THAT'S A LOT!!! Assuming that I am correct, is this ideal for someone my height and current weight(5'3.5 at 169? I do do cardio 4 days a week, and lift 5 days a week. Also I should do this refeed for two straight days or should I spread it out? I assume I am around 10% because i can slightly see my abs. Today I only lifted so I did not burn 500 kcal but i did help my father for 2 hours on some housework.

You need to multiply you maintenance calorie level by 1.1 or 1.2. Your maintenance calorie level is the amount of calories that you need to consume to maintain your current body weight. For example if your maintenance cals are 2000 then 2000*1.2=2400. This means you would need to take in ~2400 cals total on your refeed day.

As far as what your maintenance calories are, I have no idea.:) Everyone is different but you should have some idea as to your approximate maintenance calorie level so just eat a little above that.

Did you read the article that I posted? That should tell you exactly what you need to know, and how to go about planning your refeed.

donescobar2000
07-19-2003, 06:06 PM
I did read it. That is how came up with that number. Kinda High But it seems about right. My deficit is 1700. That is the deficit iI have right now to loose weight. The article says to maintain it would be 2 times that. If I multiply it by 1.1 its about 3740.

bradley
07-19-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by donescobar2000
I did read it. That is how came up with that number. Kinda High But it seems about right. My deficit is 1700. That is the deficit iI have right now to loose weight. The article says to maintain it would be 2 times that. If I multiply it by 1.1 its about 3740.

If your daily calorie deficit is 1700 you must not be eating anything. Anyway you need to worry about maintenance calories and not your daily calorie deficit.

1)How many cals do you require to maintain your current bw?

2)Whatever that number is multiply it by 1.1 or 1.2.

3)Then use the guidelines I gave you above to plan your refeed.

I feel as though you might be getting something confused, or either I am not explaining it correctly.

donescobar2000
07-19-2003, 06:21 PM
I may be getting something confused or I am not dieting correctly. Normally I do 150 to 170 carbs protien matches my wieght if not 200. Fat is usally around the 30 to 40 gram range. But I seem to be lossing. Honestly I do not know what I need to hold my current wieght. Since I have dieted for so long. I have lost over 100 pounds. I am down to 10% and want to cut more.

donescobar2000
07-19-2003, 06:47 PM
Wait I think I got it. Since my BMR is 1758. My activity level in my day is adding 50%. That comes to 1758(BMR) + 50 % = 2638 * 1.1 = 2901

Breakdown.
395 G Carbs
230 G Protein
43 G Fat

bradley
07-20-2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by donescobar2000
Wait I think I got it. Since my BMR is 1758. My activity level in my day is adding 50%. That comes to 1758(BMR) + 50 % = 2638 * 1.1 = 2901

Breakdown.
395 G Carbs
230 G Protein
43 G Fat

If you are 169lbs. why are you taking in 230g of protein?

donescobar2000
07-20-2003, 05:47 AM
Well this is how it ended.

191 Protien
444 Carbs
54 Fat

Yesterday was the Carb Up.

The Protien ended up being that high with all the incomplete protiens in the carbs.

bradley
07-20-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by donescobar2000
Well this is how it ended.

191 Protien
444 Carbs
54 Fat

Yesterday was the Carb Up.

Well the ratios look like they turned out fine.



The Protien ended up being that high with all the incomplete protiens in the carbs.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34578

donescobar2000
07-20-2003, 06:14 AM
Great! I thought I did it right. Thanks for helping and making me understand.