PDA

View Full Version : Getting the proper foods for my training

Nightfire
07-20-2003, 03:25 PM
So I'm 15, 5'7" and 135 pounds and I'm going to be going for some muscle gains soon and I need help with my everday menu for what I'll be eating.

I plan to get on a multi vitamin and such, try to eat as many protien filled things that I can, as well as shakes (which ones are the best do you think?) and possibly creatine just because I'm such a small guy hehe.

I am ready to have as much disipline as needed for this and so any foods you say will work I'm willing to eat. I'll probably be doing the WBB 1 routine with some added in exercises and such.

Before anyone starts suggesting what to eat and which supplements are best... I'll let you know what I like just in case there is certain things that should stay... Tuna fish, steak, chicken breast, milk especially, fish sticks, carrots, bananas, cheerios, lettuce, celery, roast beef, apples, and such. I only named the things I think would be useful for my training, so if I need more calorie containing foods I can post more too..

Remember, I don't want to limit my menu to only things I like, I want to get the best stuff I can get to make the gains whether I like the food or not.. though liking it would be a good thing :)

I hope this is a start to get the answers I'm lookin for, I know theirs a certain forumula to go by for protien per pounds but I can't find it at the moment, neither that for creatine. Thanks a lot in advance, I will be able to post replys if you guys have more questions. later!

SoulOfKoRea
07-20-2003, 04:15 PM
looks like you're on track, I'm guessing you're trying to gain weight(muscle mostly) since you want "gains".

Good sources of protein - Lean cuts of meat(lean steaks), eggs, you mentioned "tuna, fish, chicken breasts, milk".

Good sources of carbs - whole grain foods(whole wheat breads, whole grain pasta), brown rice, yams, potatoes, and oatmeal. lots of fibrous vegetables.
(basically low GI stuff)

first - I'd limit all foods that contain high amounts of saturated fats and trans fatty acids like fried foods(fish sticks for example), chips, cookies, basically all processed and packaged foods. the cheerios, I'm not sure but they might have some partially hydrogenated oils in them.

You definitely need more essential fatty acids (EFA's), you can get them from sources such as oily fish, natural peanut butter, nuts, and fish oil supplements.

Protein = Atleast 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.

Right now I suggest eating more calories gradually until you are well enough over maintenance to gain about a pound per week.(500 cals more a day x 7 days a week = 3500 cals = 1 lb)

as far as protein powders - stick with a whey isolate or whey concentrate/isolate like Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey protein(if you can spend money, then go for better quality kinds like beverly international products, but Optimum's whey is a good bang for the buck).

mix it in water after working out with some high glycemic index carbohydrates such as dextrose or maltodextrin. you want to mix the whey in water after working out because you need a fast absorbing protein and the carbs will cause an insulin spike, which will replenish depleted muscle glycogen stores and provide better absorption as well.

you can mix creatine into your post workout drink(about 2-5 grams, pick your number :) ), or have some pre workout, and then some more post workout, but it's easier and better absorbed to have the creatine after your workout due to the insulin spike you'll be inducing if you decide to use the malto and/or dextrose. anywhere from 2-5 grams of creatine a day is enough, no need to load, anymore than that and you'll be pissing it out, and that's money :(

Nightfire
07-20-2003, 04:52 PM
Thanks a helluva lot for providing the reply you did, much appreciated man, that gives me a much better idea on where I'll go with this.

What kind of creatine do you recommend? Should I take the 2-5 grams of it all at one time or do half before workout and the other half afterwards? I beleive it comes in a powder (correct me if I'm wrong) so should I just take it with some water or milk?

When you said 500 more calories, do you mean that much more than the calories it takes to maintain 135 pounds? I don't know how much I'm taking in per day, it probably varies a lot which is probably not good, so I'm glad to be getting on a planned schedule :) I'm guessin I'll have to just start eating planned meals and see how it effects my weight to get a good idea.

Thanks for all the help man, and if anyone else has something to add in feel free to, I could use all the help I can get! Thanks again! :D

SoulOfKoRea
07-20-2003, 05:39 PM
you can get creatine from any brand, it doesn't really matter which one, just make sure it's the pure creatine(creapure or 99.9% creatine). respected brands - Optimum Nutrition, NOW foods, Prolab, AST.

get creatine monohydrate or micronized creatine(basically the same as monohydrate, but better absorbed and less gastrointestinal discomfort aka the "runs"). powder form is cheaper and I recommend it because the already mixed liquid forms aren't stable for long periods of time.

personally, I'd take all of it post workout, because that's the only time I induce an insulin spike(the creatine and protein will be absorbed better cause of this), but it's fine to take it whenever you want.

yes add 500 calories(give or take, depends on if you gain weight easily or not, might be more cals) in addition to what you're currently eating to stay at your weight you can track your cals on a site like www.fitday.com

you can find dextrose in a nearby brewery store, or most online supplement stores sell them(2 lbs for $2 at 1fast400.com, maltodextrin is 10 lbs. for about $17 - look for maltodextrin under the name "Carbo Gain")