PDA

View Full Version : I cannot stomach mixing my protein powders with water

Mic Soloist
07-21-2003, 12:12 AM
So I always mix with milk. How much effective do u think I am losing by mixing the milk instead of water. I know it will digest slower but is that really messing me up???

I always have one slice of white bread with my post workout shake. I was told that would be a good high GI carb...

I buy 100% whey for post workout and Metrx Protein Plus for pre workout, meal supplement, or whenever.

I was also thinking of scrapping the Metrx cuz it's more $$$ and sticking with the 100% whey for meal supplement too. Would that be ok??

-peace-

snow
07-21-2003, 01:58 AM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I almost puked when I mixed my protein with water.

Mic Soloist
07-21-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by snow
I don't know the answer to your question, but I almost puked when I mixed my protein with water.

yea....

I do not see how ya'll can stand it. BLAH

-peace-

bradley
07-21-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
So I always mix with milk. How much effective do u think I am losing by mixing the milk instead of water. I know it will digest slower but is that really messing me up???

I always have one slice of white bread with my post workout shake. I was told that would be a good high GI carb...

It will become less of an issue if you are taking in some type of small pre-workout meal or shake. Also, milk does not really provide enough carbs for post workout nutrition, so if you do decide to stick with milk you will probably need to add some more carbs along with the milk and protein powder. The white bread would be fine to help get your carb total up.

I am assuming you are referring to skim milk, which would be the best choice because the fat in 2% or whole milk would not be ideal pre/post workout.

The WBB roundtable addresses this topic as well. I would suggest giving it a look, as it provides some helpful and interesting information:)

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=109

As far as pre-workout you could go with a small amount of carbs (~25-35g) and protein (~10-15g) about an hour before training. You want to keep fat intake to a minimum during this meal as well as post workout.

I buy 100% whey for post workout and Metrx Protein Plus for pre workout, meal supplement, or whenever.

I was also thinking of scrapping the Metrx cuz it's more $$$ and sticking with the 100% whey for meal supplement too. Would that be ok??
[/B]

Sure if you are mixing it with milk since it will slow the absorption of the whey.

AllUp
07-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Or you can try vanilla soymilk and blueberries. if you get a good flavored brand of protein the magic is right there. So far Vanilla is the best flavor for me. :D

Unflavored protein is like unflavored soymilk.. Hurl and watch the colors.. :/

AllUp
07-22-2003, 01:56 PM
also i dont really know if the soy protein will slow down absorbtion of the whey.

SquareHead
07-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Hey you may want to try to use very little watter. That's what I do so it tastes a little better. But realy taste has never been a problem for me. It's not like I mix up a nice protien shake toss a umbrella in there set the lawn chair out back and have a nice protien shake after noon in the sun. I just chug em and move out.

Wikked1
07-22-2003, 02:05 PM
Ha Squarehead dude nice sub you've written there.....got anything for whey? I'm going to throw this out there......maybe try a different brand would help if you really want to mix it up with water? I highly recommend using some ice cubes and a blender to mix it up whenever possible.

bradley
07-22-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by AllUp
also i dont really know if the soy protein will slow down absorbtion of the whey.

Soymilk contains fat which would slow the digestion of the whey.

jixxxer
07-22-2003, 03:55 PM
I'm with squarehead. I use a little water and down that sucker. Hardly taste anything at all.

Stabber
07-22-2003, 04:46 PM
get a different protein. Beverly International Muscle Provider actually tastes better in water than in milk.

Use less than a cup of water per every scoop

Berserker
07-22-2003, 04:54 PM
We haven't had one of these lately. I just don't get it. I've tried a few brands of protein powder and never though they were that bad. Though better with milk then water. I guess we just got a lot french cheifs around here. All you can do is gulp it down.

Sara
07-22-2003, 05:09 PM
I mix my protien with water, its nasty but you gotta do what ya gotta do!! Tastes like crap but its not so bad if you add a little ice and frozen strawberries!! I also add I scoop strawberry protien to my cooked oatmeal now THAT tastes good!!

SoulOfKoRea
07-22-2003, 06:01 PM
hmm, I actually like my protein in water... I find that you have to be consistent with it though, 6 oz + 1 scoop or 12 oz + 2 scoops or something like that until you get a desirable taste.

Ti1301
07-23-2003, 12:51 AM
I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about.
I used to mix it with milk and I got sick of that crap fast.
After that it was all water.
MUCH BETTER.
now I use like 90% water 10% milk/soymilk.

bradley
07-23-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Stabber
get a different protein. Beverly International Muscle Provider actually tastes better in water than in milk.

Use less than a cup of water per every scoop

Beverly is quite expensive and IMO I would rather just drink a protein shake that doesn't taste as good.

I doubt that you will see any difference in results just from switching to more expensive protein such as Beverly. Although I am not questioning the quality of their product, I personally can not justify spending that much on a protein supplement.