PDA

View Full Version : Morning only time to directly burn fat?

Talontsiawd
07-21-2003, 01:11 PM
Aside from doing cardio on an empty stomach in the morning, is there any other way to exercise and use fat?

bradley
07-21-2003, 01:58 PM
If you create a calorie deficit through diet, activity, or a combination of the two you will lose weight. By creating a small calorie deficit, and concentrating on losing a small amount of weight each week you will help minimize the amount of LBM that is lost while dieting.

Concentrating on the above would be more important IMO, than worrying about how to burn fat at specific times during the day. If you were trying to get rid of that last little bit of stubborn bf then it might be more of a concern, or you were in the final stages of your competition diet.

GhettoSmurf
07-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Talontsiawd
Aside from doing cardio on an empty stomach in the morning, is there any other way to exercise and use fat?

doing cardio in the morning on an empty stomach isnt the best way to lose fat. but it may be one of the best ways to lose muscle.

Talontsiawd
07-21-2003, 10:42 PM
:confused: <------ me.

Can someone give me a link to an article or explain what I'm missing here? (which is like everything)

lid6662
07-22-2003, 02:27 AM
What happens when you do some cardiio right before bed? I am a nightstocker and a while back i would run before sleep cause it help me fall asleep? Does this up ur metablosim?
:confused:

bradley
07-22-2003, 03:18 AM

Can someone give me a link to an article or explain what I'm missing here? (which is like everything)

What is your question(s)?:)

bradley
07-22-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by lid6662
What happens when you do some cardiio right before bed? I am a nightstocker and a while back i would run before sleep cause it help me fall asleep? Does this up ur metablosim?
:confused:

Well you would burn calories due to the cardio activity, which is an obvious point.:)

As far as increasining your metabolism this would depend on the intensity of the cardio. The excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) is relativily insignificant in relation to moderate/low intensity cardio. The EPOC can be though of as how many cals you burn after the cardio session is over.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8299613&dopt=Abstract

I see no problem with performing cardio at night, but I would recommend taking in some sort of meal after your cardio session so as to make sure you are not in a catabolic state when going to bed.

aka23
07-22-2003, 02:06 PM

Here are some related statements I have made in other threads:

You do not need to deplete the body of glycogen to burn fat. When your body is resting, the primary fuel source is usually fat. When you are reading this post, your primary fuel source is probably fat. And you are burning fat throughout the low intensity cardio, whether or not your glycogen stores have been depleted. It is true that a larger portion of energy comes from fat as glycogen stores decrease (glycogen stores are lower in the morning).

As intensity decreases, a larger portion of fuel comes from fat. As intensity increases, calories are burned at a faster rate, so more total fat calories may be burned. Fat tends to be burned at the highest rate around 65-80% MHR, depending on many factors including previous training, genetics, and fuel stores.

For example walking a mile at 40% MHR would probably burn more fat than jogging a mile at 75% MHR. But walking 20 minutes at 40% MHR would probably burn less fat than jogging 20 minutes at 75% MHR, since more distance is covered in the jogging and more total calories are burned.

A related graph is below. This graph displays data from a study, which found that the highest rate of fat burning occurred at 74%MHR (64% VO2Max).

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/images/fat_zone.gif

Increasing % MHR beyond this level will likely result in less fat being burned during the activity, but more fat being burned afterwards and more total subcutaneous fat being lost. The study described at http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8028502&dopt=Abstract found that an HIIT type approach resulted in 3x more subcutaneous fat loss than a similar endurance training approach at 60-80%MHR.

Both traditional and HIIT cardio benefit fat loss and reduce body fat % more than predicted by calorie balance alone. Both types better target subcutaneous (under skin) fat loss than caloric deficit, which emphasizes visceral (protects internal organs) fat loss. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9432085&dopt=Abstract , http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/sub.htm)

Training in the morning on an empty stomach increases the risk of muscle catabolism since liver glycogen stores are low after an overnight fast. The risk of catabolism depends on intenisty and duration of the cardio, as well as starting glycogen levels. In short, the risk of catabolism is highest when glycogen levels are lowest. Low glycogen levels also decrease endurance so you feel fatigued earlier and are likely to burn less calories. However, doing low intensity cardio on an empty stomach increases fat mobilization and is a common practice among pro bodybuilders in conjuction with various supplements.

lid6662
07-22-2003, 04:30 PM
Dam thats some deep stuff, how u guys learn all this? I've just well in the last 4 months be reading up on lifting cardio and anything that has to do with bodybuilding and losing fat:eek:

Holto
07-22-2003, 05:09 PM
I have spent hours disecting individual posts here

plugging any scientific/medical terms or anacronyms into google and doing background reading

Holto
07-22-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by aka23
When your body is resting, the primary fuel source is usually fat

does this indicate that someone eating maintenance cals would be depositing significant fat every day ?

and in general that people bulking/maintaining/cutting will all deposit some fat from every meal