PDA

View Full Version : No wonder my back hurts....

supirman
07-21-2003, 07:30 PM
I decided to video tape my deadlifts today just to see how my form was and all I have to say is DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! After seeing the video, I realized that I am basically stiff legging the weight on my deadlifts. I'm thinking this might be a hip flexibility issue since I didn't have this problem when I used a sumo stance. Now that I've gone conventional my form seems to suck.

Anyway, here's me with my set of 505x4 today(only 3 are on the recording b/c my digital cam only records 15 seconds at a time).

Enjoy.

deadlift video (http://erafx.com/movies/deadlift_505x4.AVI)

Manveet
07-21-2003, 08:39 PM
impressive

harryhoudini66
07-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Thanks man. I am going to start WBB Routine 1 today. I was always wondering about the proper form for deadlifts since the exercise videos I saw are blurry. I kept reading that the back should be flat but never humped. By looking at your vid, I see that your back is kind of humped down. I will start with low enough weight so I do not have to give up proper form.

supirman
07-21-2003, 08:46 PM
I'm thinking maybe I need to go back to sumo style. It takes much of the strain off my lower back, plus I can do alot more weight :)

ryan1117
07-21-2003, 08:53 PM
It didn't look bad to me. My opinion is that if that form was dangerous, then nobody would be doing SLDLs.

supirman
07-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by ryan1117
It didn't look bad to me. My opinion is that if that form was dangerous, then nobody would be doing SLDLs.

Well, only dangerous for me perhaps. I've been struggling with a muscular imbalance in my hips for a number of years now and its really been irritated lately. The only reason I say the form sucks is because I'm supposed to be regular DL, not SLDL

harryhoudini66
07-21-2003, 09:09 PM
I am not saying it is bad either, but your back was not so straight during the initial lift. My understanding is that it should be straight and your lift has to start with the legs and then back. For a second there it looked like you started with your back first. Now, I may be talking out of my ass since I am new to this deadlift thing. Here is a clip that I think shows good form.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/blinscott706018/Needsize/deads.WMV

EDIT: Just did Deadlifts for the first time today. Props to you man for the weight you did. I loved them and will do them from now on. I am sorry to say my weight was much less, but what the hell, I will get there.

supirman
07-22-2003, 06:41 AM
harry, I just hope I can actually get my form to where it should be, then I should be able to put up some really good numbers.

Relentless
07-22-2003, 07:43 AM
comments, based on recent advice I had from a PL veteran and coach, and what I see in your lift:

- don't 'jerk' the weight at the start of our first rep... keep it fast, but smooth

- get your chest out! Big chest! ;)

- get your shoulders behind the bar

supirman
07-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Callahan- I definitely agree that I need to work on my form. I keep my legs too straight during my DLs. The problem is because I don't feel very comfortable with the conventional stance when I squat down to grab the bar. It feels as if my knees are in the way...

I dunno, I just need to start using better form!

Frankster
07-22-2003, 10:31 PM
yeah.. only thing I see wrong with them is the start.. it seems to me your probably stronger proportionally in the back than the legs (from your photos it looks that way too).. so it seems that you you have trouble starting the lift with your legs.. they give up and the back takes over for the most part in getting the bar off the ground.. you can see this in the video.. you seem to want to start with the legs.. but the legs don't want to so the stop and the back kicks in and gets the job done... and your back remains a little curved from that point on until the very end when you do an effort to bring your back strait.

Just what I seem to make out of the video.. i'm not a deadlift expert or anything.

supirman
07-22-2003, 11:21 PM
Frankster - the only thing I see odd with your theory is that my squat destroys my deadlift pretty handily. I squatted 600 just shy of parallel and only got within 50 lbs of that on deads...

I think I'm just not meant to deadlift! lol

Frankster
07-22-2003, 11:36 PM
perhaps then :D

Relentless
07-23-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by supirman
Callahan- I definitely agree that I need to work on my form. I keep my legs too straight during my DLs. The problem is because I don't feel very comfortable with the conventional stance when I squat down to grab the bar. It feels as if my knees are in the way...

I dunno, I just need to start using better form!

Knees in the way? no way, dude... you aren't even scraping your shins on the lowest part of the deads! Dipping your hips before starting the lift, allowing your arms/shoulders to get nice and low and in position, and then pulling back with your shoulders behind the bar oughta help.

from what I can see, you DO have long thighbones for your height (I have the same problem myself, despite being much taller) but you also have fairly longish arms, which should help mitigate it

I would be especially keen to see a video of your squatting as well... forget what you can do 'just shy of parallel' and show us what you can go deep with. ;)

supirman
07-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Actually, I hit 585 parallel, then attempted 600 after it and couldn't get quite deep enough. I have been doing all light squats lately though. For instance, today I did 315 for 25 and 365 for 15, then 225 for 40. I have been trying to get away from powerflifting. I do have an old vid of me squatting that I posted on here a while back. It was 515 for 4 or 5 reps I believe.

I can reupload it to my server if you're interested.

supirman
07-23-2003, 02:42 PM
And one more thing.... I have cuts on my knees from deadlifts. I do manage to bang the top of my knee up when doing them, and that's why I feel my knees are in the way.

Looky! http://www.erafx.com/photos/cut_knee.jpg

I do want to get this form better though!

STM
07-24-2003, 06:13 PM
Reset yourself after each rep. It kind of looking like you were almost 'bouncing' off the bottom a tad.

Anyhow, nice weight!!!!!!!

supirman
07-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Actually, I prefer to not reset at the end of each rep. If I do that, I lose all concentration. And I really don't think 500 lbs is going to bounce much when hitting a 1 inch sheet of rubber/plastic matting that's lying atop cement.

raniali
07-25-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by supirman
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! After seeing the video, I realized that I am basically stiff legging the weight on my deadlifts.

what's wrong with stiff-legging the weight if you can do it (i.e., properly)?

supirman
07-25-2003, 03:04 PM
Nothing's really wrong except I'm supposed to be doing a regular DL. And I'm not quite stiff legging it either b/c my hamstrings don't feel it at all.

Tryska
07-25-2003, 03:20 PM
your dead looks way different from my dead.

looks like your moving point is your back and hips, and mine is my legs. almost like a squat, except with bar in front of me and at the end of my arms. *lol* i'm doign sumos too.

you need to get your knees more into, cuz i don't see much except you workign the hell out of your low-back. why not drop the weight and work on form?

supirman
07-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Actually tryska, I think I might just go back to sumos because that way I feel more comfortable and can do more weight with proper form.

I can't wait til this winter when I'm reppin 600+ :)

Tryska
07-25-2003, 03:56 PM
well if sumos work for ya, stick with them.

supirman
07-25-2003, 04:11 PM
I just got bored with them, and didn't feel like going as heavy so I switched up my stance.

Back to my wide ways I go...

Tadger
07-31-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by harryhoudini66
....I kept reading that the back should be flat but never humped. By looking at your vid, I see that your back is kind of humped down....

Actually that's one thing he was actually doin wrong there. Your lower back should be arched not rounded. If he wasn't wearing a belt, he'd probably never get that bar off the ground.

Sup,
Watch that lower back man. You're gonna hurt yourself if you keep doin deads that way, bro.

You seem to be built alot like me. My squat has always been considerably stronger than my dead. I struggled to find good form on my deads for a long time. I had no trouble with a nice wide stance, but when I tried to go conventional my form suffered. I was lifting just like you were in that vidcap.

One thing that I found to be very helpful was alot more direct abwork. Strengthening my abs helped quite a bit. Hit those hip flexors too... hanging leg raises and standing abs are a standby of mine now.

Another thing that I feel helped me alot was kind of a modified good morning (forgot the name). You basically put the bar on your back, squat down to just below parallel (exactly like you would to do a squat), then hold it there. From that position, you lean forward, pause, then straighten up again. It's basically just a conventional good morning, but squatting down the whole time. It's gonna be a very small range of motion, and you'll feel like it's not doing much of anything... until you get to your 3rd rep. Heh heh heh. Those will kick your ass in no time. One variation of those is to start with your back arched, round it, then arch it again. That'll really help keep your back straight comin out of the hole while squatting, and at the bottom of your dead lift.

You should also throw in some close stance squats to help you out with those deads too. Try to use the same foot placement for both your squats and deads (and practice with both close and wide stances). That'll help a whole lot.

It took me a while, but I finally got my form nailed down enough to work with it. This spring I was in a meet and pulled 435lbs raw, weighing only 165.

supirman
07-31-2003, 08:18 PM
My abs are very very strong actually. I do all sorts of hanging leg raises and lots of other abdominal work. I'm going to give my sumo deads a go since this close stance is messing my both my form and my back.

PowerManDL
07-31-2003, 08:30 PM
From looking at it....

Get your hips down lower. That'll probably mean getting the bar closer in to your shins, which will hurt, but it'll make the pull better. As was said, work on that arch in the back. When you're setting up, you want to look almost like a 4 from the side.

Try to bring your hips in as much as possible. The same way you "sit back" into a squat, you want to focus on bringing the hips forward.

supirman
07-31-2003, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna work hard on my form next monday.

RG570
07-31-2003, 10:18 PM
that is how i deadlift. =/