PDA

View Full Version : Im Bulking.. But Hungry?

defcon
07-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Hey Guys.. i got a strange problem here.. right now im bulking up.. i weight ~145 lbs and get between 2700 and 2800 cals a day.. i use fitday.com to track my calories, and i do it VERY excact.. well anyway, i space my meals every 2.5 hours or so.. but it seems that i usually get a little bit of a hungry feeling 45 mins to an hour BEFORE my next meal.. what makes it even stranger is that i am gaining between 1lb and 1.5 lbs a week.. the max i was hoping to gain would be a lb a week becuase i am endomorphic and want to get as little fat gain as possible.. what do you guys think can be causing my hungriness, and what can i do to control it! thanx in advance..

WillKuenzel
07-22-2003, 01:01 PM
What's your daily diet look like?

raniali
07-22-2003, 01:01 PM
your growing and your body is hungry for fuel
it might also have to do with the contents of your previous meal, perhaps causing insulin to rise and fall in an nonideal fashion.
what's ur daily menu look like? (hy got to it first)

defcon
07-22-2003, 01:10 PM
Heres a link to my average daily diet.. http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34630

bradley
07-22-2003, 01:37 PM
You could always include more fibrous veggies in your diet which will help keep you full longer, and also include more fat in your diet. You are getting in plenty of protein and if you wanted you could decrease your protein and bump fat intake up a bit.

I prefer eating larger less frequent meals as opposed to smaller more frequent meals, and I have found this to work better at controlling hunger.

defcon
07-22-2003, 02:09 PM
hmmmmm, i'll try the veggie thing tommorow i guess, i'll have sum of this "garden salad mix" that my mom has out there tommorw with my 2:30 meal, it contains 2 or 3 types of lettuce and some carrots.. like 13 cals per 85 gram if i remember correctly from the package..

Its just hard for me to get my head around tho. im "bulking" but still getting a hungry feeling like im cutting.. so i mentally think "he.. lets go eat another cup of dry oats!" but then i look at the scale and im alrdy gaining weight at a fast pace with these cals.. so i have a mental argument :P Its a weird feeling.. well thanxd for the advice so far guys.. keep it comin! :)

bradley
07-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by defcon
then i look at the scale and im alrdy gaining weight at a fast pace with these cals..

If you are gaining more than 1lb. per week then more than likely you are adding bf as well. IMO I would concentrate on gaining ~.5-1lb. per week which should help minimize fat gain.

defcon
07-22-2003, 02:27 PM
i agree with you.. that is why im worried about it moreso.. im alrdy gaining 1 - 1.5 lbs a week, so i was gonna try to cut calories back to 2600 +- 50 cals, hence wh yi came here looking for suggestions about my hunger problems :)

Y2A
07-22-2003, 02:52 PM
If you find the solution, let me know, cause I have the same problem. I think us Endo's are always going to gain fat on a bulk :mad:

noraa
07-22-2003, 05:06 PM
If you dont gain fat on the bulk, your the exception rather than the rule

defcon
07-22-2003, 05:30 PM
i understand that i will gain some fat.. but gaining 1.5 lbs a week is also gaining too much fat compared to muscle.. and being a endomorph im VERY sur that a 1.5 lb a week gain will be mostly fat :\ so im gonna try to reduce the cals a little bit

JuniorMint6669
07-23-2003, 12:59 AM
it may sound kinda silly... but how about taking ephedrine+caffeine for appetite suppression. I know we mostly use this while cutting, but eh, why not?

Khar
07-23-2003, 05:15 AM
The ephedrine+caffiene will give you energy during workouts if you use ~30 minutes before you workout...Might as well throw some Aspirin in too, that has helped with my lifting immensly(sp?) it seems.

bradley
07-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Khar
The ephedrine+caffiene will give you energy during workouts if you use ~30 minutes before you workout...Might as well throw some Aspirin in too, that has helped with my lifting immensly(sp?) it seems.

**No need for the aspirin unless you have a fairly high bf%.:)

Aspirin potentiates the effect of ephedrine on the thermogenic response to a meal in obese but not lean women.

Horton TJ, Geissler CA.

Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, King's College (KQC), Kensington, London, UK.

The effect of ephedrine (30 mg) and aspirin (300 mg) on the acute thermogenic response to a liquid meal (250 kcal) was investigated in lean and obese women (n = 10 each group). Resting metabolic rate (RMR) was measured prior to each of the following treatments: meal only (M), meal plus ephedrine (ME) or meal plus ephedrine and aspirin (MEA). Eight post-treatment measurements of metabolic rate were made over a total of 160 minutes. Rise in post-treatment metabolic rate was compared to the baseline RMR. Following the M treatment, the mean increase in metabolic rate was 0.17 +/- 0.01 and 0.13 +/- 0.02 kcal/min in the lean and obese groups respectively, with the corresponding rises being 0.21 +/- 0.02 and 0.19 +/- 0.02 kcal/min following the ME, and 0.23 +/- 0.03 and 0.23 +/- 0.01 kcal/min following the MEA. The increase in post-prandial thermogenesis with the ephedrine or ephedrine plus aspirin was significant in the obese group (P less than 0.03 and P less than 0.001 respectively) but not the lean. Furthermore, the post-treatment rise in metabolic rate, following the MEA treatment compared to the ME, was significantly greater for the obese group (P less than 0.05) but not the lean. It was concluded that aspirin potentiates the stimulatory effect of ephedrine on the thermogenic response to a meal in obese but not lean women.

Khar
07-23-2003, 05:21 PM
oh...thats interesting. It helps with my lifts though :) and it feels like a swift kick in the @$$

bradley
07-23-2003, 06:12 PM
oh...thats interesting. It helps with my lifts though :) and it feels like a swift kick in the @$$

It will not hurt anything to continue including the aspirin along with the ephedrine and caffeine, but then again less aspirin would be a good thing IMO.

Khar
07-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by bradley

It will not hurt anything to continue including the aspirin along with the ephedrine and caffeine, but then again less aspirin would be a good thing IMO.

Why's that? I am taking ECA STACK by NutraSport which contains 20mg Ephedrine, 200mg Caffeine, and 324mg Acetlysalicylic Acid. What would you more recommend? And I'm currently only using it pre-workout for weights...I havn't used it for HIIT...yet. So far that is only 3x/week. When I am doing a cut, at the end of this slow bulk...if I ever GAIN weight :), then I will use the recommended dosages at the end of the cut.

bradley
07-24-2003, 03:08 AM
Why's that?

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory have been shown to inhibit muscle growth, but would probably be more of a concern when taking larger doses. NSAIDs would include things such as apsirin, ibuprogen, acetaminophen,etc.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11832356&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11600586&dopt=Abstract

I am taking ECA STACK by NutraSport which contains 20mg Ephedrine, 200mg Caffeine, and 324mg Acetlysalicylic Acid. What would you more recommend?

You could just make your own by purchasing epehdrine/ephedra seperately, which would probably be cheaper in the long run. Also if you do decide to use it when cutting, you could try using it more frequently with smaller doses.

Don't get me wrong, the small amount of aspirin that you are taking probably will not cause any problems, but once less added chemical in your body is not a bad thing.:)