PDA

View Full Version : Sliced Ham

syntekz
08-25-2001, 06:25 PM
Does anyone know the nutritional value of Sliced Ham that you would buy from the grocery?

Is it a good source of protein or no?

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-25-2001, 06:29 PM
ham = pork product. much the same as gammon.

this was discussed in another thread which i will bump for you. you'll probably find out all you need from there.

Joe Black
08-26-2001, 04:15 AM
Also anything sliced and in a packet generally is processed and is not as good as a good ole lump of meat :)

syntekz
08-26-2001, 07:16 AM
Full of sodium and preservatives, eh?

But, so is almost everything we eat.

Jane
08-26-2001, 09:22 AM
Sliced packet meats bad? Hmm, thats a shame. Just yesterday I made my favorite sandwich: wholewheat toast topped with Dijon mustard, purple onion, two slices roast beef, 1 slice pastrami, fatfree cheddar cheese--broiled until cheese melts. Yummy stuff.

Any clever alternatives?

Spiderman
08-26-2001, 10:48 AM
I've found that if you get the low-fat deli meats they're not really that bad. True they do have a lot of sodium from the processing, but is it gonna make THAT big of a deal? Hell, we're not gettin ready for competitions here are we?? I've found though that the major draw back is the amount you have to eat to get a good amount to get some good protein. 2 oz is usually only about 8-9 g of protein. Do the math and soon you're eatin like 10, 12 or 14 oz of deli meat in one sitting. Having done this multiple times I know its gonna make you feel stuffed. (thats just on high protein/low carb...think about if you were on a regular diet. :eek: )