PDA

View Full Version : Is Splenda dextrose/maltodextrin

golfbobbyhill
07-23-2003, 10:03 AM
Seems to be the #1 ingredients in Splenda.

Does this mean after my morning workout I can throw a few packs of Splenda from the coffee station at work into my protein shake?

Khar
07-23-2003, 10:19 AM
There is also a lot of artificial sweetener in it...For you to get the 50 grams of dex/malto...You would have to destroy a few of those 200+ serving boxes of splenda I would think...At this point your getting the same cals as just using dextrose or malto...Just buy some malto or dextrose online.

bradley
07-23-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by golfbobbyhill
Seems to be the #1 ingredients in Splenda.

Does this mean after my morning workout I can throw a few packs of Splenda from the coffee station at work into my protein shake?

Splenda is sucralose, which is an artificial sweetner but it does contain maltodextrin. The maltodextrin content of Splenda is <1g so it would not be a significant source of malto. This is the reason that the nutrition label can get away with stating that one packet of Splenda contains 0 calories.

http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml;jsessionid=IU5EUNVAIPJ5ACQPCB3SUYYKB2IHWNSC?id=splenda/products/prodinfo.inc

reloaded
07-23-2003, 02:22 PM
what about malto in nestle products? i want to put it in my post work out shake for the malto/carbs benefit, but it contains lots of sugar too. 21 g carbs and 21 g sugar in one serving. is this good or not?

bradley
07-23-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by reloaded
what about malto in nestle products? i want to put it in my post work out shake for the malto/carbs benefit, but it contains lots of sugar too. 21 g carbs and 21 g sugar in one serving. is this good or not?

Malto is technically not considered a sugar so it will not be listed under the sugar content. I am not sure as to what the Nestle products contain but I would guess that the 21g comes froms sucrose which would not be the ideal carb source post workout. You would need to check the ingredients to get a definite answer.

Is there any specific reasoin you are looking for malto? You could use dextrose which would work just as well and can be purchased at most any store that sells home brewing supplies. Another option would be to look for candies that contain dextrose, Smarties for example. I have also seen people use powdered Gatorade as a post workout carb source.

What does your post workout shake consist of now, and are you taking in any type of pre workout shake/meal? The pre-workout shake could just as beneficial if not more so than a post workout shake.

reloaded
07-23-2003, 06:25 PM
i was looking for either dextrose or malto in stuff at the grocery store today. that's when i looked at the nestle quick product. right now i use whey protein and creatine in my shakes, and i take it post workout. i usually eat some fruit like a banana right before the workout or i eat a couple hours before and drink water on my way to the gym.

bradley
07-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by reloaded
i was looking for either dextrose or malto in stuff at the grocery store today. that's when i looked at the nestle quick product. right now i use whey protein and creatine in my shakes, and i take it post workout. i usually eat some fruit like a banana right before the workout or i eat a couple hours before and drink water on my way to the gym.

You don't necessarily have to take dextrose/malto around your training. You could use whole foods like white rice, white bread, bagels, oats, etc., but just try to take the whole foods early enough to allow time for digestion. Also a banana would work well as you mentioned above. You can do the same for post workout nutrition as well.

Taking in adequate amounts of carbs would be more important than the GI. Try taking in some carbs and protein pre-workout (~25-35g carbs and ~10-15g of protein) and post workout go with ~50-60g of carbs and ~25g of protein).