PDA

View Full Version : Deli Meat

Y2A
07-23-2003, 09:49 AM
Is this stuff any good? The only thing that is obvious is that it has lots of sodium... Does the processing of it make it bad for you? Is it acceptable as an everyday food?

Khar
07-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Ya it's fine...It is no different that processed boneless skinless chicken breasts. Sodium may be a little high. Just get lean meat or fat free and your golden.

chops
07-23-2003, 10:43 AM
hey look, its the wwb pimpster :)

personally i think the salt is too high considering that you probably have to eat many slices to get the protein u want out of it. preservatives,nitrates, other stuff i consider frankenstein food. blah.

check out this nutriton label for fat free oscar mayer chicken breast

http://www.diet-data.com/sausages_and_lunch_meats/oscar_mayer/chicken_breast_oven_roasted/fat_free/

Y2A
07-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Just checked out the sandwich I had earlier, 18g protein, 810mg sodium!

SquareHead
07-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Dude what's wrong with sodium?

Y2A
07-23-2003, 11:42 AM
I dont know :D I dont have any health problems (except for my height :mad: ) so it probably doesnt matter :)

Khar
07-23-2003, 12:00 PM
If your young and have no blood pressure or cardiovascular conditions sodium really doesn't make a difference health wise. If your about to go to the beach, I'd say THEN you may want to limit your sodium for a few days so you appear more cut up.

technogeeky
07-23-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Khar
If your young and have no blood pressure or cardiovascular conditions sodium really doesn't make a difference health wise. If your about to go to the beach, I'd say THEN you may want to limit your sodium for a few days so you appear more cut up.

I swear nobody notices this except you.

Khar
07-23-2003, 05:19 PM
What the fact that high sodium intake causes water retention...uhm, no I'm pretty sure a lot of people notice that.

JuniorMint6669
07-23-2003, 10:50 PM
I gotta agree with khar... i heard that sodium retains 50x its weight in water... so 1g of sodium in your sandwich... 50g of water... bust out the calculator... its about 1/9th of a pound. okay so its not a lot, but if you are eating lots of salt, you could be retaining a pound or more of water, and when ya think about how hard you worked to get that last pound of fat off to show your sixpack, only to have it covered up on beach day because of high salt content...well damn /end rant
not that i ever watch it myself, but i mean hey, its something to think about!

PowerManDL
07-23-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by technogeeky

I swear nobody notices this except you.

When you're at a low enough bf%, they do.

Wikked1
07-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Nitrates,sodiums and delis OH MY......my deli has some really good cuts of meat they offer....All natural turkey breast,chicken breast,and roast beef......the all natural stuff is pretty darn good when you don't have meal prep time. (the downside is they charge a little more for it) (go figure!) Some of that stuff you really do have to watch .....damn they LOAD it up with sodium and a boatload of preservatives....it is by far a better choice than a trip to McD's or BK.

technogeeky
07-24-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL

When you're at a low enough bf%, they do.

I'm pretty fat, so I can't tell. But I dont think I could notice a 4 lb difference on someone (water weight wise)

body
07-24-2003, 03:59 PM
the deli meats are foten the same as the pre-packed meats.

Allie
07-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Another solution to get around the sodium, is to buy something after checking out that side pannel ;) I usually get Healthy Choice Turkey that has low sodium.

body
07-25-2003, 12:53 PM
lots of meats are marinated before cooking to help keep the yield high and make it taste better, this increase the soduim or salt(if potaasium salt used for low soduim).