PDA

View Full Version : Bulk up or cut up?

Yanick
08-25-2001, 08:50 PM
OK guys, i have been working out for about under a year now, i have seen significant gains and am really happy about it. Right now though, i want to make some very serious changes, i want to get very big but i don't want fat, so i'm kindda torn being going through a cutting up cycle, or going through a bulking up cycle. Ideally what i would want to do is both at the same time, something like gaining muscle but losing fat. Is this possible? I want to lose a lot of fat maybe around 15-20 lbs but i also want to be making muscle mass gains at the same time. I think to lose weight you should figure out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight and subtract about 500 calories to safely lose fat, and to gain weight you need to add 500 calories. Are my #'s right? Any suggestions on what to do first, bulk up or cut up? My stats

height- 5'7"
weight- 174
BF% ?????

ideally i want to be around 180lbs but single digit bodyfat which i am sure that i don't have. Thanks for any advice in advance.

syntekz
08-25-2001, 11:39 PM
I've got the exact same stats and have the exact same dilemna. Let me know what you decide.

Wizard
08-26-2001, 03:10 AM
Cut up first.Then bulk up....

Cackerot69
08-26-2001, 10:26 AM
If you really do have 15-20lbs of fat to lose than I agree with Blacky.

Spiderman
08-26-2001, 10:44 AM
First of all, No, its not possible to gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously without using Steroids. I'll assume you're NOT on those.....

Secondly, If you can, get a bodyfat % done. You may not have as much fat as you think. 15-20 lbs of bf is a lot bro..... as for your numbers, yes those do look to be accurate. But in general those are numbers for overall health..IMO. I'd just start dieting with a lower carb intake and increased protein and start doing more cardio. (or start if you're not doing it yet). Hope this helps ya out some. ;)

Gyno Rhino
08-26-2001, 10:48 AM
15-20lbs of fat? That would be a huge loss for someone in the 170s. ****, boy, just lift and get fat like me! Then when people say "Damn, you're FAT!" You just say, "Nah, I just finished bulking and it's some water retention from my Anadrol cycle."

Wizard
08-26-2001, 11:02 AM
Few people will afford it(mentally) Gyno.
I'm with the ones who wouldn't.

Budiak
08-26-2001, 02:04 PM
20 lbs? Cut.

Yanick
08-27-2001, 07:31 AM
Spideyongear, your assumption is correct i would never use steroids. Maybe my fat #'s are a lil too high, i haven't ever had a bf% done on myself maybe i should give it a try. I'm just torn because my ultimate goal is to have like 20" arms and a huge chest and legs but i don't want all that fat, so i'm frustrated because there is so much sh*t that i have to do. But you guys are right i should prob cut first, then i guess i will bulk up, that way i can watch my bf and make sure it doesn't skyrocket like it did when i was younger. I'll prob just cut down to 160 and that might be enough. Also do doctors do bf% or do i go somewhere like a special clinic or something? Thanks for the advice if anyone else has more advice i'm all ears.

Sheik
08-27-2001, 10:36 AM
Geez, my stats are almost identical to yours.
5'6"
174lbs as of yesterday.

I have just been trying to eat as well as I can and it seems to be working. About 8 months ago I was 195lbs(same height...), along with that I have seen some good strength gains.

I have never tried any maximum efforts but here are some examples.

bench press: 240lbs for 4
squats: 315lbs for 8

I still want to lost some of the spare tire too. So over the next month or so I am going back on the tuna!!!!

Sheik

Yanick
08-27-2001, 03:36 PM
Okay i have been thinking about it and decided to lose some serious fat first, any suggestions on what types of meals i should be having, i usually eat about three-four times a day.

Meal 1-Bagel&Coffee(that will change in one week, i'm goin back to school and i will start to eat a better breakfast)
Meal 2-Something like pasta or rice, with chicken, or some other type of meat.
Meal 3-Shake, with protien powder yogurt and skim milk, then some fruits.
Meal 4-(around 9:00-10:00 @ night) whatever i have in the fridge.

Is this an okay meal plan? I know i should be eating more frequently and smaller meals but i don't have the time to eat every two-three hours, especially now that i will be going to school.:cry::help::cry: