PDA

View Full Version : how easy is it to slow down your metabolism?

Stabber
07-24-2003, 11:21 PM
It's the last thing I want to do while I'm cutting so I figure I'd ask. Ive been doing A LOT of cardio recently and want to drop the food intake a bit. I am scared to slow down my metabolism. How can I prevent this? I never let myself go without food for more than 3 hours. I never starve myself and I always try to eat a good breakfeast and something good before bed.
What else?

bradley
07-25-2003, 03:54 AM
There is really no definite answer, and the easiest way to combat this problem would bet to create a moderate calorie deficit and make sure that you are losing a small amount of weight each week. Factors such as degree of calorie restriction, bf%, etc. would all be factors in determining how long you could stay at a certain calorie level without causing metabolic rate to decrease.

As you get to a lower bf% (15%) you might have to deal with leptin issues which could be countered with periodic refeeds.

I have also seen it recommended to take a week off of dieting at around the 8 week mark, which would help in causing metabolic rate to increase (metabolic reset so to speak). Again this would be more beneficial if you are at a lower bf%.

This study was interesting and it shows that there was a difference in resting energy expenditure after only 2 weeks of dieting and it increased as the diet progressed. I just found it somewhat interesting:)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11430776&dopt=Abstract