PDA

View Full Version : When should I have my protein shake

madfistbt
07-27-2003, 01:37 PM
Just got a load of protein powder but was wondering when is the best time to take it. In the morning, before bed, or just after the gym?
Im guessing just after the gym.Feedback would be appreciated

Holto
07-27-2003, 01:47 PM
IMO the absolute best time to take it other than post w/o is in the morning

at other times whole foods usually are better

this is the general consensus anyway, I use a great deal of powder

I assume it's whey powder

a blened protein supp (casein, egg etc...) is better if you take it througout the day

iLUDEd
07-27-2003, 07:43 PM
you can also take it with milk before you goto bed.

Don Birnam
07-27-2003, 10:34 PM
I think it's best right after you wake up to get some quickly-absorbed protein into your blood. Also a good time for the same reason is if you wake up in the middle of the night. When I wake up in the middle of the night I'll take half a scoop and then take the other half when I finally get up for good in the morning. That way my body doesn't go too long without protein.

bradley
07-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Don Birnam
I think it's best right after you wake up to get some quickly-absorbed protein into your blood. Also a good time for the same reason is if you wake up in the middle of the night. When I wake up in the middle of the night I'll take half a scoop and then take the other half when I finally get up for good in the morning. That way my body doesn't go too long without protein.

IMO whey is best used post workout unless you are mixing it with milk. If you are waking up in the middle of the night you would be better served drinking a slower digesting protein, seeing as whey will be digested/absorbed so quickly. Since whey is digested so quickly most will be oxidized for energy so in reality you are not supplying your body with the protein that you think. There is a good artilce on the WBB main page that has some good information regarding whey protien.:)

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=110&pageid=2

If you are taking in a slow digesting protein before bed (casein for example) I see no reason that you would have to consume a shake in the middle of the night, but if you are up anyway then it probably would not hurt.