PDA

View Full Version : Does the body absorb everything.....???

Khar
07-27-2003, 07:48 PM
Ok this question is pointed towards anyone that can dig up an article preferably. If you have anything to say on it though feel free to chime in. In the event of a binge eating where you eat say...5000 calories in a day, like I did yesterday. Is there a point where your body can no longer absorb anything and just shuttles the food through unprocessed and you just crap out the food in food form...Basically, does your body absorb all the nutrients and calories from everything you put in your mouth no matter the amount you shove in there?

Scott S
07-27-2003, 09:56 PM
You absorb all of the calories for sure unless you puke. tuttut

It just turns everything it doesn't use into fat. But cheer up, the thermic effect of digesting all the extra food helps you there!

JuniorMint6669
07-27-2003, 10:17 PM
ehhhh sucks, i did that too. i wonder though.... not to be gross... but ya know when you poop out whole corn kernals? (cmon i know im not the only one) those kernals werent properly digested, right? And I think sometimes when you dont chew properly, other things can pass through undigested. I have no articles or scientific evidence on this, just things I think about while staring at my crap...

mikey4402
07-27-2003, 10:45 PM
i always wondered about that korn affect junior...
and khar you are way too worried about this binge you had, its like the 3rd thread you talked about it, let it go bro haha

Khar
07-28-2003, 06:03 AM
Mikey: Not really worried about it...I'm was must in more pain that I would have thought imaginable for....eating.

bradley
07-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Your body is very efficient at absorbing the food that you consume. The absorption rates that I have seen are as follows:

~90% protein
~97% fat
Carbs will vary depending on fiber content, so a vegetable will have a lower absorption rate than say dextrose.

bradley
07-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by JuniorMint6669
ehhhh sucks, i did that too. i wonder though.... not to be gross... but ya know when you poop out whole corn kernals? (cmon i know im not the only one) those kernals werent properly digested, right? And I think sometimes when you dont chew properly, other things can pass through undigested. I have no articles or scientific evidence on this, just things I think about while staring at my crap...

What you are referring to above usually occurs because of the lack of enzymes required to break down that specific type of food. This usually refers to high fiber foods which contain cellulose.

Although some of these foods can be broken down by the bacteria that live in the colon.

JuniorMint6669
07-28-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by bradley

What you are referring to above usually occurs because of the lack of enzymes required to break down that specific type of food. This usually refers to high fiber foods which contain cellulose.

Although some of these foods can be broken down by the bacteria that live in the colon.

Interesting... do we have any control over the amount of enzymes we have in us? Why do I ask? Because Im an idiot... but also because I want to not have corn-breaking-down-enzymes so that I can fill myself up with corn without getting the calories, know what I mean? I also want to limit my chocolate-chip-cookie-breaking-down-enzymes if possible:angel:

bradley
07-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by JuniorMint6669
Interesting... do we have any control over the amount of enzymes we have in us

You can take digestive enzymes such as lactaid or beano which will help with digestion of foods. I doubt there is any way to limit the bodies natural production of enzymes, and even if this was possible it would have an overall detrimental effect on the body.

pusher
07-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Interesting... do we have any control over the amount of enzymes we have in us? Why do I ask? Because Im an idiot... but also because I want to not have corn-breaking-down-enzymes so that I can fill myself up with corn without getting the calories, know what I mean? I also want to limit my chocolate-chip-cookie-breaking-down-enzymes if possible

No I don't think you have control over the amount or type of digestive enzymes in your body, although you can proly get treatment if you are deficient in any. Try not chewing the corn. Also, you may want to make your chocolate chip cookies out of grass if you are so inclined.

Y2A
07-28-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by pusher

No I don't think you have control over the amount or type of digestive enzymes in your body, although you can proly get treatment if you are deficient in any. Try not chewing the corn. Also, you may want to make your chocolate chip cookies out of grass if you are so inclined.

I put the grass in brownies ;)

JuniorMint6669
07-29-2003, 12:19 AM
Im pretty sure thats the wrong kinda grass Y2A... and thats just gonna lead you to eating even more tuttut

Brandon7775643
07-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by bradley
~90% protein
~97% fat
Carbs will vary depending on fiber content, so a vegetable will have a lower absorption rate than say dextrose.

Bradley -- do you remember the source of the information you posted? I got into an argument with my brother the other day on just this topic.

bradley
07-29-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Brandon7775643

Bradley -- do you remember the source of the information you posted? I got into an argument with my brother the other day on just this topic.

I have never seen an actual study done on the topic but the numbers I posted are from MFW (google groups). Here is one post that explains the absorption rate for the different nutrients.

You could also run a search and pull up more of the same:)

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=protein+absorption+group:sci.med.nutrition+group:sci.med.nutrition&start=10&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=sci.med.nutrition&selm=1996Aug29.085514%40vms.ocom.okstate.edu&rnum=13

body
07-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Brandon7775643

i agree with bradely

they are not exact figure and there a few variables that can alter the %.

i reference
garrow, j,s,. james, w,p,t,. human nutrition (1993) churchil livingstone.
quite a good book.

alcohol is quite easily absoredbed as well