PDA

View Full Version : maintainence keto- effects?

furious
07-28-2003, 07:49 AM
Hey,

I have always been told keto is used strictly for cutting purposes, due to its effects. My question is this, if you were to eat strictly fat and protein at maintainence calories, is it still possible to enter a ketogeni state and thus burn bodyfat? This may sound like an uneducated question, but I am truly curious. Could anyone shed any light on this?

Relentless
07-28-2003, 07:58 AM
if you are consuming few enough carbs, you'll be in keto

the point of a keto diet is to eat submaintenance calories and cut BF while sparing lean tissues.

If you want to try a keto diet, do a bunch more reading/research, learn more about it yourself and then evaluate whether it's right for you or not.

furious
07-28-2003, 08:36 AM
Thank you for the reply, but it didnt really address my question. If you go in to ketosis, while maintaining MAINTAINENCE level calorie consumption, would it be possible to burn or lower bodyfat levels while maintining a constant weight?

Scott S
07-28-2003, 10:42 AM
Well, to lower bodyfat levels at the same weight is to gain muscle without gaining weight. I think that would be really hard (in keto) without bulking because the consumption of carbs helps keep glycogen levels up, which helps muscle growth.

bradley
07-28-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by furious
Thank you for the reply, but it didnt really address my question. If you go in to ketosis, while maintaining MAINTAINENCE level calorie consumption, would it be possible to burn or lower bodyfat levels while maintining a constant weight?

You will still have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. There is no magical fat burning properties associated with ketosis. If you are going to eat at maintenance then I would recommend a more balanced approach, seeing as you are more likely to get some LBM gains when following a more balanced diet.

I am not saying that you will gain muscle eating at maintenance but you are much more likely following a balanced diet.