PDA

View Full Version : OK atkins is done.....ive lost the bulk of the fat i had.

shansen008
07-28-2003, 09:42 PM
Now its time to workout a balanced diet to help continue fat loss and lean muscle gains.

Here is what ive been eating the past couple of days:

Typical breakfast:
Mexican Omelette- Includes 3 whole eggs, black beans, salsa, cheese, and sour cream.
Side of bacon...crispy. mmmmmm.
Slice of melon
LOTS of water.

snack- protein bar

Typical Lunch:
Piece of fresh fish, usually Ahi or Ono
Rice
Vegetable medley
LOTS of water

snack- i mix up 2 scoops of designer whey protein, 2 ice cubes, a scoop of creatine and some berries with 16 oz. of soymilk.

---WORKOUT---

post workout protein- 40g whey sipped over 30 minutes.

Typical Dinner:
Pretty much same as lunch.

Late snack if i get hungry- EAS carb control shake...15g protein, 1g carb...lots of vitamins.

Ok, so some of you might be wondering how i manage this type of food....well i own a restaurant so its pretty easy to get what i want foodwise from my cooks.

My major question is, how should i start adding more carbs to my diet, i feel its a bit protein heavy at the moment. I know i should stay away from refined carbs like cane sugar and bleached white flour, so what about maybe substituting borwn rice for white? Are red potatoes a good carb source? What fruits should i look at? I also eat a lot of Broccoli.

Thanks in advance.....

-Shawn

JuniorMint6669
07-28-2003, 11:25 PM
black beans...melon...rice...berries... looks like you are getting plenty carbs already. i would reccommend more carbs post workout, something like dextrose/maltodextrin/powdered gatorade. You may also want pre-workout carbs of a similar sort. As far as fruit is concerned, I really like eating apples... they are fiberous and filling. You may want to eat some natty peanut butter or mixed nuts for omega-6 fatty acids. oh yea, oatmeal is a good choice too, if you like it.

shansen008
07-29-2003, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the ideas, what contains dextrose/maltodextrin? Or can it be bought and added to shakes? As far as powdered gatorade goes, doesnt that contain glucose-fructose syrup? I thought i was supposed to stay away from fructose, we have a ****load of gatorade sitting in the fridge.

bradley
07-29-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by shansen008
My major question is, how should i start adding more carbs to my diet, i feel its a bit protein heavy at the moment.

IMO I would start by adding in carbs pre/post workout and then go from there. It really will not matter that much as long as you keep total calories in check. After incorporating pre/post workout carbs you might want to add in more carbs at other meals, but again you are really just replacing some of the cals from fat/protein with cals from carbs so it really does not matter how you go about it. Just remember to expect an initial weight gain due to glycogen/water weight.

I know i should stay away from refined carbs like cane sugar and bleached white flour, so what about maybe substituting borwn rice for white? Are red potatoes a good carb source? What fruits should i look at? I also eat a lot of Broccoli.

Brown rice is fine, as welll as foods such as veggies, beans, oats, sweet potatoes, ww bread, fruit, etc. The red potatoes are a higher on the GI index than say sweet potatoes, but if you are eating them with other foods (fat and protein) this won't really matter that much.

Typical breakfast:
Mexican Omelette- Includes 3 whole eggs, black beans, salsa, cheese, and sour cream.
Side of bacon...crispy. mmmmmm.
Slice of melon
LOTS of water.

I would probably drop the bacon and go with a more healthy source of fat such as fish oil or olive oil. Also you have to be careful about things like sour cream as the calories can add up quickly.

Typical Lunch:
Piece of fresh fish, usually Ahi or Ono
Rice
Vegetable medley
LOTS of water

Maybe add in the brown rice as you suggested which has more nutritional value than the white rice.

snack- i mix up 2 scoops of designer whey protein, 2 ice cubes, a scoop of creatine and some berries with 16 oz. of soymilk.

You might think about turning this snack into more of a pre-workout shake. Include ~10-15g of protein along with 25-35g of carbs, and drink this about 30-60 minutes before training.

---WORKOUT---

post workout protein- 40g whey sipped over 30 minutes.

Need to add some carbs post workout. IMO a good post workout shake would include ~25g of protein and ~50g of carbs. You can use malto or dextrose as your pre/post workout carb source.

Diet looks good IMO, just need a few carbs around your training and more omega 3s:)

Thanks for the ideas, what contains dextrose/maltodextrin?

The best way to get malto or dextrose (glucose) is to buy it in powder form. You can get dextrose at a place that sells home brewing supplies, and malto can be ordered off the web from most online supplement companies. You could possibly find malto in your home town but I have never had any luck with this.

As far as powdered gatorade goes, doesnt that contain glucose-fructose syrup?

Powdered Gatorade's primary ingredients are sucrose (fructose/glucose) and dextrose. IMO this would not really be ideal for glycogen replenishment post workout, but it would work.

I thought i was supposed to stay away from fructose, we have a ****load of gatorade sitting in the fridge.

While too much fructose would not be ideal, and the main thing you have to watch out for is high fructose corn syrup and large amounts of sucrose. Otherwise you would be hard pressed to consume enough fruit to have to worry about the fructose content.

shansen008
07-29-2003, 05:33 AM
great info, thanks a bunch

Gymgurl37
08-07-2003, 06:36 AM
Hi...I would really love to talk to you and find out what you are doing and how it is working. I have lost 30 pounds with low-carb and now I 'm looking for something to help maintain the weight loss but help my workouts. I'm not really sure where to start and what to do. It was so nice to see someone else adding back the carbs the way I want to.:bow:

Relentless
08-07-2003, 06:47 AM
instead of sour cream, try cottage cheese

cottage cheese is the food of the (bodybuilder) gods. ;)

greekboy80
08-07-2003, 05:04 PM
try powerade power mix. its main sweetner is dextrose, 2nd is sucrose. no fructose, no problem.

bradley
08-08-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by greekboy80
try powerade power mix. its main sweetner is dextrose, 2nd is sucrose. no fructose, no problem.

Sucrose is half glucose half fructose.;)

AstronautJones
08-08-2003, 02:22 AM
You could try Optimum Nutrition's Glycoload. First two ingredients are dextrose and maltodextrin. Third ingredient is fructose though.