PDA

View Full Version : Hot Sauce Question

defcon
07-29-2003, 02:47 AM
Hey peeps.. okay.. you kjnow those hot sauces such as "franks red hot sauce" and "tabasco sauce" well i was wondering if they are okay to be eating ( im 99% sur they are, just wanna make sur :P ) and what is the nutritional value of those things.. i use about 5-6 tablespoons of them on my meals throughout the day.. and if the cal value is petty high.. so to track my calories better i figure i should include the value of this hot sauce.;. i've looked at fitday and calorieking ect and couldn't find anything :( thanx in advance..

YatesNightBlade
07-29-2003, 03:28 AM
Sauces tend to have alot of sugar in them. There fine so long as your not cutting and you have them in moderation.

bradley
07-29-2003, 03:52 AM
Depends on the particular sauce in question. If it is something similar to Tabasco then it will have a negligible amount of calories, but if you are referring to something like BBQ sauce then you might want to watch out for added sugar, as Yates mentioned.

I would just check the ingredients (nutrition label), which would give you an idea of the sauce's sugar content, etc.

technogeeky
07-29-2003, 09:30 AM
Generally, the hotter the sauce, the less calories. This is because you'll find that a higher content of spicy liquids (like tobasco) is vinegar,water, and pepper based. Milder sauces are usually a lot of pepper, but the heat is taken down with things like sugar or butter.

So hot = better! :)

defcon
07-29-2003, 10:26 AM
i knew BBQ sauce had bad stuff in it.. but im only talking bout the real hot saauce that one drop would burn your tounge :P gotta love that stuff lol, oh.. and bradely.. in canada i can't look at the label on a few of these hot sauces, since our govenr. dosent make them put the nutrient label on it! garbage.. anyway.. the sauce im talking about has next to no cals, i prolly burn off those cals from shaking it outta the bottle anyway :P thanx guys

dirty-c
07-29-2003, 12:59 PM
I've heard that spicy foods can have a thermic effect on your entire body (not just the mouth) that aids metabolism. I don't know if there is ANY merit to this at all, I just remember reading it somewhere. Everyone feel free to jump in and dispel this myth before someone reads it as gospel (if it is in fact garbage).....

Ebu
07-29-2003, 03:24 PM
I am not trying to be racist at all when I say this, but I had read in a newspaper article one time that African American's blood pressure is higher on the average than Caucasians. One reason being due to the more regular consumption of things like hot sauce. I know this is sort of a stereotype, but I have plenty of African american friends who agree. So as long as you are consuming the sauce maderately, you should be fine, but too much could have effect on your blood pressure.

bradley
07-29-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by dirty-c
I've heard that spicy foods can have a thermic effect on your entire body (not just the mouth) that aids metabolism. I don't know if there is ANY merit to this at all, I just remember reading it somewhere. Everyone feel free to jump in and dispel this myth before someone reads it as gospel (if it is in fact garbage).....

Here is some info on capsaicin which you might find interesting;)

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/health.html

defcon
07-29-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Here is some info on capsaicin which you might find interesting;)

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/health.html

Cool, so the raise in metablosim will cancel out the 2-3 cals i get from the hot sauce :P YAY! :D

Berserker
07-29-2003, 09:48 PM
Yates-first thing I seen you post that I don't agree with at all.
If its a real hot sauce I wouldn't worry. Don't care if labeled a sauce. First off if its really hot your not gonna use enough to make a difference. Either way I theres not much in hot sauces.

Berserker
07-29-2003, 09:50 PM
I've heard spicy foods will speed up your metabolism. Never got a real definitive answer if its true or not.

Stephen Riddington
07-29-2003, 10:06 PM
I always use Frank's, nothing else as my hot sause. I love them on my eggs and chicken.:drooling:

defcon
07-30-2003, 03:53 AM
yeah, franks is good, esp their "extra hot" version.. i love em on eggs, ckicken, oatmeal, tuna, cottage cheese, heck.. STRAIGHT FROM THE BOTTLE! :)

pruneman
07-30-2003, 04:19 PM
Frank's has an extra hot version!!!??!?!??! *runs to add Franks to grocery list*
...you made my day defcon!

Also, I haven't seen this point brought up about hot sauce yet. Many hot sauces contain high amounts of sodium. The calories are usually negligible...at least for things like franks or tabasco. Depending on your goals, you may not want all the sodium because of the associated water retension.
Personally I will never give up hot sauce, but that's just personal preference :D.