PDA

View Full Version : ~0 carbs diet .. ?

Sinep
08-26-2001, 06:27 PM
Is it dangerous for muscle mass ? ~0 carbs/high pro./low fat diet

Cackerot69
08-26-2001, 07:12 PM
Well, that would be completely pointless and costly because the extra protein would just be converted to carbs, defeating the purpose.

Wizard
08-27-2001, 04:52 AM
He's right.Your glycogen stores won't be depleted anyway.Ketosis is the most anticatabolic state.
High fat/low prot/no carbs is preferable.

Life4ever
08-27-2001, 06:08 AM
can you expliain why ketosis is the most anti catabolic state?

kAto
08-27-2001, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Life4ever
can you expliain why ketosis is the most anti catabolic state?

because your body utilizes fat(ketones) for energy instead of glucose, protein cant be converted into ketones; only stored fat...i think.

sinep i suggested CKD a long time ago, why you didnt try it, i dont know, but dropping from 10% bodyfat to 5% on keto is very promising; ofcourse i dont know how much time you have untill the big day...

Sinep
08-27-2001, 07:58 AM
I'm doing good right now.. I'm not gonna risk trying something I've never adventured before
5 weeks left... I'm below 10% though .. 8% sounds more like it

Wizard
08-27-2001, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by kAto

protein cant be converted into ketones; only stored fat...i think.

Protein can be converted to ketones.(50%ketones,50%glucose)
It won't be stored as fat.

Life4ever
08-27-2001, 01:45 PM
you guys still didnt answer my question? I heard it was because it slowed protein oxidation down, but it probably slowed all 3 macros down? doesnt that defeat the purpose of dietng by slowing down the metabolism/

Tryska
08-27-2001, 01:47 PM
ketosis is anti-catabolic because your body is using the ketones to fuel metabolism. ketones are made from fat oxidation. therefore, your body doesn't look to glycogen, or gluconeogenesis (which would be catabolic in the face of no carbs) for fuel.

Life4ever
08-27-2001, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
ketosis is anti-catabolic because your body is using the ketones to fuel metabolism. ketones are made from fat oxidation. therefore, your body doesn't look to glycogen, or gluconeogenesis (which would be catabolic in the face of no carbs) for fuel.

**How about during training? You NEED glucose while doing anaerboic training. Gluconeogenesis will occur then. So then what/

Cackerot69
08-27-2001, 02:08 PM
You carb load to fuel anaerobic workouts on a CKD, and eat carbs pre-training on a TKD.

Tryska
08-27-2001, 02:23 PM
yup. what keto-breath said.

Wizard
08-27-2001, 02:59 PM
hell,i started a ckd on saturday(6days high fat/1day carb-up) and my breath is
:drooling:

Sinep
08-27-2001, 05:29 PM
on ckd, what kind of food do they mean when they say fat ? like junk food ? 5 days a week ? I can't see why kato said it requires discipline. on carb load up I guess you eat alot of oatmeal ?

Sun
08-27-2001, 05:33 PM
Ketosis requires discipline, just not quite as much as an isocaloric diet. For a lot of people it's no easy task to get into and maintain ketosis. A lot of different variables affect it's stages.

If you're a meat and eggs type of person, ketogenics is for you. And I think you are, Sinep. LOL. I just wouldn't stay on the habit for too awful long. The only downside to ketogenic dieting is sometimes (In my case anyway, and a few others) is that it is terribly hard to re-introduce carbs gradually, because one taste for a few days you begin to crave.

Sinep
08-27-2001, 06:50 PM
thanks yaz..
I'm actually gonna have to try that someday.. steak and eggs sounds too good to be true lol

Cackerot69
08-27-2001, 07:18 PM
I never got keto breath or any of the negative "side effects" associated with ketosis....just all the good stuff like stable energy levels, rapid fat loss, eating a dozen eggs, ground beef, steak, pepperoni and cheese and going from 10% bodyfat to 6%, and so on....

The fat source really doesn;t matter as long as you stay with the keto ratio's. I tested this out, the first week all clean foods, then the second up until now it's been all "unhealthy" junk food and i'm losing fat just as well.

Your muscles will get flat during the no carb period, but I've found taking creatine (I loaded on the first carb load) helps a ton. You also should stock up on diet coke, sugar free jello, and a carb suppresent...I used 5-HTP (best there is).

Keto and cardio don't seem to mix well though, after every cardio session I feel very sick like I'm going to puke for about an hour and it goes away. The reason, I dunno.

big calvin
08-27-2001, 09:15 PM
i had a theory on ketosis...im doing a ketosis diet now( and for a very long time to come) , sence ketosis is state in which your body uses fatty acids as fuel would eating a bigger % of your fat from EFA's get u in ketosis quicker because u "use" EFA's more so then say saturated fats? or is it all the same in the keto game?:p

ohh. i wanted to let your guys know, i have still been around looking not posting but i have lost 40 pounds :) and going strong.

Wizard
08-28-2001, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Cackerot69

The fat source really doesn;t matter as long as you stay with the keto ratio's. I tested this out, the first week all clean foods, then the second up until now it's been all "unhealthy" junk food and i'm losing fat just as well.
Of course,it doesn't really matter as long as you follow the ketogenic ratios.
I have 2 grams of fat for every gram of protein.
My ratios are
Protein 100gr
Fat 200gr
Carbs Under or ~20gr.
Cals:~2300
It's working wonders.I established ketosis only in two days after starting the diet.Maybe it's because I made a very intensive full body workout in Saturday night.But really,my breath is :drooling:
Anyway,it worths it... :D

vpy
08-28-2001, 10:39 AM
I've tried different fat sources like Cack and didn't see any difference in the speed that my body went into ketosis(48 hours or less). I saw the side effects the first week I was doing the CKD, but nowadays, I have none of the effects during CKD :) ... so I just check the ketone strips to make sure I've succeeded in getting into ketosis.

my fiance is happy that I don't have the bad breath side effect :D

big
08-28-2001, 04:09 PM
Im gonna try and cut down, but im eating to much carbs. i think. Anyway what do you all eat that has no/low carbs?

And should i not eat anything, after say 19:00-20:00? I always eat a bowl of corn flakes in the morning and before i go to bed.

Pup
08-28-2001, 04:46 PM
Calvin, awesome job on the weight loss, keep it up bro.

big calvin
08-28-2001, 07:42 PM
thank yyou...its up to 45lbs now :) or i should say down...

kAto
08-30-2001, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Sinep
on ckd, what kind of food do they mean when they say fat ? like junk food ? 5 days a week ? I can't see why kato said it requires discipline. on carb load up I guess you eat alot of oatmeal ?

it seems easy at first and fun eating all that junk, but when the carb cravings start to strick it takes alot of discipline, the carb cravings you get on keto are merciless atleast for me:cry:

Sinep
08-30-2001, 09:00 AM
I'm doing TKD right now, we'll see how tough I am...

vpy
08-30-2001, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by kAto

it seems easy at first and fun eating all that junk, but when the carb cravings start to strick it takes alot of discipline, the carb cravings you get on keto are merciless atleast for me:cry:

Tell me about it... my coworker thought I was nuts when I was staring down a muffin for a few minutes when I was on a CKD..... maddening...

Jane
08-30-2001, 03:12 PM
:) lol..

must...not...eat...muffin...muffin...eeevil...vpy stronger than...you...fookin muffin
:)

Alex.V
08-30-2001, 03:31 PM
*punches muffin*

vpy
08-30-2001, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Jane
:) lol..

must...not...eat...muffin...muffin...eeevil...vpy stronger than...you...fookin muffin
:)

hehe.... I finally decided that the muffin was eventually going to win, so I banished the evil thing to a coworker :D

Jane
08-30-2001, 04:21 PM
what muffin? i got me a nice...fresh...shiiiiny can o'tuna :thumbup:

Alex.V
08-30-2001, 05:28 PM
Tuna tastes pretty bad when you bake pastries with it, though.

Jane
08-30-2001, 05:51 PM
*quickly hides secret tuna-cake recipe*

sure...