PDA

View Full Version : What about cholesterol?

Ebu
07-29-2003, 03:26 PM
On the bars and protein shakes that I eat, I notice there is a decent amount of cholestoral contained in them. I have even checked out other products, and have seen the results to be the same.
What I want to know is, what is too much cholesterol? How much does everyone else here consume? Or just any other thoughts or tips on it.

MrWebb78
07-29-2003, 04:08 PM
most BB'ing diets are high in cholesterol. however the exercise itself should be enough to keep levels in check. just get it checked annually and see how to deal with it from there.

bradley
07-29-2003, 05:11 PM
Dietary cholesterol will have little impact on serum cholesterol levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3163364&dopt=Abstract

noraa
07-29-2003, 07:05 PM
While bradley is true to a point, there is still genetic differences to how people handle cholesterol.

Also there is potential that when people are eating a high saturated fat diet, dietary cholesterol may have more of an affect

LAM
07-29-2003, 07:24 PM
the carrier of the cholesterol is what's important

daddyzombie
07-29-2003, 07:34 PM
Most of us eat a lot of whole wheat breads, brown rice, legumes and other whole grain foods. These all help maintain a healthy cholesterol level.

bradley
07-30-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by noraa
While bradley is true to a point, there is still genetic differences to how people handle cholesterol.

I agree with what you are saying and if you have a family history of hypercholesterolemia or family members that are currently taking cholesterol lowering drugs more caution should be used as far as cholesterol consumption is concerned.

In most people the bodies natural feedback system will prevent cholesterol levels from becoming elevated.

Also there is potential that when people are eating a high saturated fat diet, dietary cholesterol may have more of an affect

Would the elevation of cholesterol levels be more associated with the higher intake of saturated fat and not the combination of saturated fat and dietary cholesterol?

noraa
07-30-2003, 04:44 AM
Additional, cant provide a reference, because as far as I know the bit of research was unpublished (local uni). I have a book reference, but probably difficult to find in USA

Essentials of Human Nutrition, Mann and truswell (eds)

Ironman8
07-30-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by daddyzombie
Most of us eat a lot of whole wheat breads, brown rice, legumes and other whole grain foods.

No, I think alot of us eat more Omega-3's and 6's :).

noraa
07-31-2003, 02:59 AM
No, I think alot of us eat more Omega-3's and 6's In certain sections of hte population, addition n-3 fats can increase LDL.
In really high doses, n-3 fats will reduce HDL as well.