PDA

View Full Version : new powerlifters more prone to injury?

unshift
07-29-2003, 05:17 PM
on monday i PRed my deadlift at a whopping 315lbs but now today, my wrists hurt pretty bad. i'm pretty sure this is because of holding the heavy weight of the DL (my first 1RM, usually i was DLing 225 at the most, strap-free of course)

also, i was not using a mixed grip if that matters

if i'm new to power lifting, am i more prone to injury? my muscles are used to abuse, but what about the rest of my bones and tendons and ligaments and joints and whatnot? am i looking to hurt myself 1RMing right away? i used to do sets of 8 reps for pretty much everything so this does kind of feel different

Xg74
07-29-2003, 10:35 PM
Obviously if you are lifting a maximal weight your body is not used to, of course your going to feel tendon and ligament and muscle strain the next day, thats normal. You just stressed your body beyond its previous capacity, of course your going to feel it. But if the pain persists, go see a doctor, my chiropractor diagnosed me with a muscle tear, and damn it hurt.

ElPietro
07-29-2003, 11:58 PM
If you aren't using straps I can't see why your wrists would hurt in any way from doing a deadlift. If grip becomes any sort of factor you should go to a mixed grip, and it probably wouldn't hurt to start getting used to it now anyway. Unless you mean your forearms are sore from simply gripping more weight than you are used to, which I guess can be understandable.

The only other thing I can think of, is if you slammed the bar down, or let it come down fast, and kept a strong grip on it, and somehow jammed your wrist.

benchmonster
07-31-2003, 03:06 PM
No, old powerlifters are more prone to injury, I think. When you are new, you are using lighter weights. when you have been at it a while, you will be using enough weight that serious injury is a constant threat.

What is more likely to hurt you? a 225 box squat when you are a newbie? or a combination of bar, band and chain that has you under 835 lbs at the top of the lift and near 600 lbs on the box?

My first box squat was with 225 lbs and my best ever box squat was a bar, band and chain combination of about 835 at top of the lift. I can tell you which one hurt more, and I know for sure which had me most at risk for serious injury.

Sure I was much stronger when I did the latter lift, but I still have the same heart, lungs, tendons, joints, etc. . .

All that being said. If you are doing 315 for reps with no straps and no reverse grip, you have some pretty strong hands there.

B.

unshift
07-31-2003, 08:55 PM
i only did one rep :(

maybe i could've done a second! does 2RM count for anything? :D