PDA

View Full Version : leg drive on benchpress

slydeflex
07-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Hi, I wanted to get some opinions as to how to get maximum leg drive on the bench. I know that Metal melitia recommend that you should be on your toes, however, others stress that you should be driving with the heals. Which is the more efficient way? I have been trying the MM style of being on the toes, however, I do not feel that I get maximum leg drive.

Relentless
07-31-2003, 01:02 PM
well, I'm no powerlifting coach, but being on your toes puts you in a less stable position to start with, doesn't it? -- not something I'd want when trying a max-effort bench

in a recent session i had with a very experienced powerlifting coach, he recommended that the feet be flat and angled outward a bit

benchmonster
07-31-2003, 03:01 PM
Personally, I think leg drive is a bit overrated. I am flexing everything while I bench, so I guess I am getting some leg drive, but really, there is no oportunity for your "leg drive" to move your upper body anywhere as you are on a bench pinned down by both bodyweight, and by the massive amount of weight in your hands, so I question how effective driving with the legs is, if it does not make you go anywhere.

Also, the metal militia guys are the best benchers on the planet, and if they say to do something, there is probably some good reason for doing so, such as. . . it works.

I have benched over 500 in several different competitions in 3 different weight classes. This makes me a bit above average, but I am not at the top of the heat, so be aware of that when I give advice. . . but I correspond on a daily basis with 600 and 700+ benchers, and I myself have benched 500+ using the flat feet style and the feet extremely tucked style.

Whatever you need to do to get arched as much as possible, and to be as stable as possible is the thing to do. Also, if you tend to have your butt come up, I recommend finding a stance which makes such behavior physically impossible. My current style of benching is feet way behind me, up on toes, and a severe arch. With this style, I could not raise my butt even if I tried to, and that is the way I want it.

I had a 505 @220 turned down for butt raise, which was the only red I have ever got for butt raise. Was a strongly made lift, but air under the butt cost me a state record that day. never has happened since.

So experiment, but I would not get too excited about leg drive. Get stable, keep elbows tucked, arch hard, put the bar on the highest point of upper abs, flex everything, and push like Hell. This is the best advice I can give.

B.

ElPietro
07-31-2003, 03:04 PM
I found the last few times I benched somewhat heavy, that keeping the feet back promotes going up on the toes, and that I believe helps maintain a high, tight arch. So if I had to cast my vote, from my limited personal experience, I'd say toes feels better for me.

noraa
07-31-2003, 05:18 PM
If it was legal (IPF) I would go up on my toes, to maintain the arch. But at the moment its just a matter of working on increasing flexibility/width of feet to allow the maximum arch, with legs tucked behind me slightly with feet flat.
The Metal Militia boys have it down good

much like this postition
http://www.benchpresschampion.com/CHAMPIONNES2/Naskripnyak.jpg
if I could manage that, and still get my lifts passed, I would be happy. :)

Bruise Brubaker
07-31-2003, 05:43 PM
What if one day a guy who can arch his back in such a way that the bar only need to be unracked to touch his chest, he'll be the strongest bencher in the world.

noraa
08-01-2003, 03:57 AM
Some are pretty damn close

The picture I gave above didnt actually pass, as the IPF rules says the bar has to touch the chest (which ends at the sternum), these lifts didnt.

Hercule
08-01-2003, 09:46 AM
Eh, I can't really get a good arch, because in the THSPA, feet must be flat on the ground at all times. I need to join a real fed. so I can get my feet farther back, have a bigger arch, and bigger bench.

Chris Rodgers
08-01-2003, 03:16 PM
I agree with BM. Feet back and hard arch does more for me then feet flat.

DK
08-03-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Hercule
Eh, I can't really get a good arch, because in the THSPA, feet must be flat on the ground at all times. I need to join a real fed. so I can get my feet farther back, have a bigger arch, and bigger bench.

I agree. Most of the high school powerlifting meets force you to keep your feet flat.

BigCorey75
08-03-2003, 10:12 PM
I primarily get my leg drive from my heals. ive tried the toes, and liek someone said it makes you off balanced, i get a stronger drive from my heals, it is weird how your legs an help you so much in the bench press...