PDA

View Full Version : My bulking diet

NickC
07-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Hello all!

Thought I'd throw out my eating plan for your critique/critisizm.

I'm around 6', 150 lbs, 25, and bf% around 17-18% (from an online source)

I hit the gym for the first time in close to a year, two weeks ago. In that two weeks I gained back 4 pounds, eating six meals a day, with a three day schedule. Mon-Wed-Fri.

I'm trying to eat around 3000 cal/day. Anything over 2500cal I'm happy with.

I usually start eating upon wake

Meal1: 10:30am shake then head to the gym (1/2 hr walk there)
Meal2: 12:30-1pm post workout shake
Meal3: 3-4pm
Meal4: 6pm
Meal5: 9pm
Meal6: 11-11:30pm shake

These are the meals I usually stick to:

1. shake: 614 cal 33g prot.
2. 1 chicken breast
w/2 serv. potatoes w/1 serv. veggies: 400 cal 40g prot.
3. tuna w/2 serv. potatoes: 370 cal 34g prot.
4. 6 eggs (3 yolks) w/1 serv. potatoe: 460cal 30g prot.
5. 2 mini pizzas: 520 cal 20g prot.
6. 2 chicken or bean burritoes: 580cal 22g prot.

What do u guys think?

Thanks!

archanix
07-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by NickC

I'm

slight problem with this many cals before working out.. thats quite a bit to eat before exercising and can bog you down.

before working out, i only take in about 25g of carbs and around 10-15g of protein

i use 25g of malto with 10-15 g of whey

also, add in some efas.. fish oil, olive oil, nuts.. try to get around 25% from these fats

bradley
07-30-2003, 04:41 PM
I hit the gym for the first time in close to a year, two weeks ago. In that two weeks I gained back 4 pounds, eating six meals a day, with a three day schedule. Mon-Wed-Fri.

If you continue gaining at the rate stated above I would cut cals a little, seeing as how gaining 2lbs. of LBM per week would be exceptional results for a natural trainer. Although some of this weight could be attributed to water/glycogen.

Meal2: 12:30-1pm post workout shake
Meal3: 3-4pm
Meal4: 6pm
Meal5: 9pm
Meal6: 11-11:30pm shake

What do the shakes consist of?

That seems like lot of cals for a pre-workout shake, to be taken that close to training.

2. 1 chicken breast w/2 serv. potatoes w/1 serv. veggies: 400 cal 40g prot.

Would this be in addition to the shake?

5. 2 mini pizzas: 520 cal 20g prot.
6. 2 chicken or bean burritoes: 580cal 22g prot.

Not the best of food choices IMO, and I would go with cleaner foods consiting of lean protein, low GI carbs, and healthy fats.

Also think that the addition of some EFAs would be beneficial as well. Might want to add in some oily fish such as salmon or supplement with fish oil or flaxseed oil.

NickC
07-31-2003, 07:38 AM
thats quite a bit to eat before exercising and can bog you down.

Well, it gives me plenty of energy for my workouts, but I'll look for alternatives.

shake: 614 cal 33g prot. 88carb. 14gfat

also, add in some efas.. fish oil, olive oil, nuts.. try to get around 25% from these fats

I'll pick up some fresh salmon, try to have some everyday. I should look up the nutr. values on fish though. I guess tuna aint the same? EFA wise?

2. 1 chicken breast w/2 serv. potatoes w/1 serv. veggies: 400 cal 40g prot.: Would this be in addition to the shake?

No, this would be a seperate meal.

Not the best of food choices IMO, and I would go with cleaner foods consiting of lean protein, low GI carbs, and healthy fats.

I agree. I'm trying to figure out my grocery list for tomorrow. I'm thinking of sticking with chicken, eggs, and pork, for protein; salmon for protein and fat, just gotta figure out some low GI carbs.

I'm checking other threads, any ideas?

Thankx!

bradley
07-31-2003, 01:40 PM
Well, it gives me plenty of energy for my workouts, but I'll look for alternatives.

shake: 614 cal 33g prot. 88carb. 14gfat

Fat should be kept to a minimum pre/post workout due to the fact that fat will slow the absorption of the protien and carbs which would not be ideal.

IMO I would go with ~25-35g of carbs and ~10-15g of protein preworkout, and if you need the extra cals then you could spread them out over the course of the rest of your meals.

You might also consider a carb drink while training if your workouts are over 60 minutes in length.

Post workout would be just like preworkout except more carbs and protein. I would say ~50g of carbs and ~25g of protein.

I'll pick up some fresh salmon, try to have some everyday. I should look up the nutr. values on fish though. I guess tuna aint the same? EFA wise?

Tuna contains a small amount of fat, which I would not consider a significant source of EFAs.

just gotta figure out some low GI carbs.
I'm checking other threads, any ideas?
[/B]

Here a few that come to mind.:)

oats, sweet potatoes, ww bread, veggies, fruit, beans, ww pasta