PDA

View Full Version : How does this look?

Hercule
07-30-2003, 05:36 PM
Hey guys I am on a cut right now. I am mainly shooting for high protein and carbs and lower fat. Here is my Macronutrient Breakdown for today. Keep in mind I am doing heavy olympic and power lifting, not bodybuilding, so low carb would not be ideal.

Fat- 55G
Carbs- 240G
Protein- 250G
Calories- 2500

Main Sources:
Fat- 2% Milk and Peanut Butter
Carbs- Oatmeal, Wheat, Fruits
Protein- Chicken Breast, Protein shakes, Milk

The fat will usually be lower, but I binged on peanut butter, LoL.

Please give me your opinions on whether or not this will be effective for cutting. Any suggestions and changes are welcome. A more in detail look at my diet can be seen in my journal.

raniali
07-30-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Hercule
Hey guys I am on a cut right now. I am mainly shooting for high protein and carbs and lower fat.

why?

Hercule
07-30-2003, 05:49 PM
WHy what?

Why am I on a cut? I need to get down to 215 to compete in the 220 weight class in powerlifting.

Why am I using High protein, Mod carbs, and low fat? I want high protein to gain more lean muscle, i need a good amount of carbs so my workouts don't suffer for lack of energy, and low fat because uneccesarily high fat intake will make you fat(right?).

I considered the Atkins Diet, but if I did that I wouldn't be able to lift as hard, heavy, and intense if I'm getting less than 50G of Carbs a day.

SoulOfKoRea
07-30-2003, 06:23 PM

Why am I using High protein, Mod carbs, and low fat? I want high protein to gain more lean muscle, i need a good amount of carbs so my workouts don't suffer for lack of energy, and low fat because uneccesarily high fat intake will make you fat(right?).

well to be honest, essential fatty acids are needed more than carbohydrates, hence the "essential". it's good to get atleast 20% of your daily cals from healthy fats.

raniali
07-30-2003, 06:31 PM

I considered the Atkins Diet, but if I did that I wouldn't be able to lift as hard, heavy, and intense if I'm getting less than 50G of Carbs a day.

i was asking about ur approach to cutting, not why you wanted to cut. an atkins diet is high protein AND high fat so i don't know why you would be comfortable using this but not maintaining fats in a balanced approach.

anywho - i think you could modify your cutting diet by upping the good fats and dropping carbs. i didn't take a look at your diet in the journal so i am just making this suggestion off your numbers.

Hercule
07-30-2003, 06:49 PM
To be truthful, I am trying that zone diet. My numbers are pretty close to what is recommended.

Protein- 38%/40%
Carbs- 34%/30%
Fat- 29%/30%

bradley
07-31-2003, 04:18 PM
To be truthful, I am trying that zone diet. My numbers are pretty close to what is recommended.

Protein- 38%/40%
Carbs- 34%/30%
Fat- 29%/30%

I think those ratios will work fine, but just try and get some n-3 fats in your diet. Milk would not be an ideal source of fat and you would be better off going with skim milk and incorporating fats from sources such as fish oil, olive oil, or flaxseed oil.

Hercule
07-31-2003, 07:45 PM
I am currently taking flaxseed oil. How much should I take? I have caplets, and each one contains 1g.

Hercule
07-31-2003, 07:55 PM
BTW, Yesterday, after I made this post, I ate a can of tuna and evened out the ratios better.

P-40%
C-31%
F- 29%

bradley
08-01-2003, 05:56 AM
I am currently taking flaxseed oil. How much should I take? I have caplets, and each one contains 1g.

Well the recommendation that I have most commonly seen is ~2 tablespoons per day, and a tablespoon contains ~14g of flax. That would put you taking about 28 caps per day.:eek: As you can see this is really not very practical and you would be better off supplementing with fish oil or buying the flaxseed in liquid form.

Fish oil is superior to flax as far as a source of EPA/DHA.

Hercule
08-01-2003, 10:02 AM
Dang, you're right. I'll pick up some fish oil ASAP.

greekboy80
08-01-2003, 10:31 AM
not to start any arguments but i thought that a low carb diet would be better for powerlifters and such, because, cp stores are mostly used for low rep(1-3), and high reps needed more muscle glycogen. Dr. Volek is a powerlifter and he said that a low carb approach is more benificial for powerlifters tryingto cut weight. thats just my 2 cents.

bradley
08-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by greekboy80
not to start any arguments but i thought that a low carb diet would be better for powerlifters and such, because, cp stores are mostly used for low rep(1-3), and high reps needed more muscle glycogen. Dr. Volek is a powerlifter and he said that a low carb approach is more benificial for powerlifters tryingto cut weight. thats just my 2 cents.

I do not really believe that it will matter that much in the long run. As long as you are taking in enough EFAs and protein, it really is not going to matter that much where the rest of your cals are coming from.

Although you do bring up a good point, but personal preference would be the best way to go.

Hercule
08-01-2003, 01:40 PM
My program is not strictly powerlifting. I am not doing Westside, so my reps can be high at times. I also do olympic lifts, which are quite energy sapping. I saw this sort of diet recommended by Ken Patera in an interview with him. He stated that he preffered Moderate Carbs and Protein and less fat. He says that without Carbs, where would he get his energy for his workouts? I am not trying to get shredded as hell, I just want to drop abotu 10lbs of fat withing the next couple of months so that I can compete in the 220's.

Holto
08-01-2003, 01:55 PM
I saw this sort of diet recommended by Ken Patera in an interview with him. He stated that he preffered Moderate Carbs and Protein and less fat. He says that without Carbs, where would he get his energy for his workouts ?

Answer: fat

this guy may know alot about powerlifting but he shouldn't be giving diet advice

bradley
08-01-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Holto

Answer: fat

this guy may know alot about powerlifting but he shouldn't be giving diet advice

A low carb diet is not going to do much for glycogen levels, which would provide energy for anaerobic activity such as weight lifting.

I don't really see how fat would be the answer to glycogen levels, although if you were to implement proper pre/post workout nutrition then otherwise I would not see a problem.:)