PDA

View Full Version : how many cals?

greekboy80
07-30-2003, 06:59 PM
how do i know how many cals that i need to cut/bulk/maintain?

JuniorMint6669
07-31-2003, 03:04 AM
Track your calories and your weight for a few weeks. If your do not gain weight at your current calories, then you have found your maintainance. Adjust this number up and down, depending on whether you are bulking or cutting.

JIG
07-31-2003, 03:15 AM
found this on another thread...

http://geocities.com/jtr1_2000/weighttable.html

Terminator-850
07-31-2003, 03:36 AM
Heres a good website I found if you are wanting to bulk up and get big while bodybuilding.....It is a basic breakdown of a diet in plain terms of Protein, Carbs and Fat, and what your consumption should be based on your weight and goal of bulking.

Basically its "your weight" X 16= your normal caloric intake

That number x.20= what you need to increase your weight

of that you need at LEAST 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight...that number multiplied by 4 equals how many calories from protein...

next take your total number of calories divide it by .25% thats how much fat you should consume in calories ( dont use saturated fat though)....that number divided by 9 equals your grams of fat intake

the rest is carb calories(complex carbs of course)..you get this by subtracting the number of fat calories and protein calories from your total calories. this number divided by 4 equals your grams in carbs.

Hope this helps you a bit its a decent bulking diet.

You have to work out and do cardio of course for this to not make you a fat ass

try reading the site if im speaking greek to you.

"www.t-mag.com/html/body_92getbig.html "

bradley
07-31-2003, 03:40 AM
The bodyweight formulas are at best a good estimate of daily calorie intake, seeing as how they do not take into account bf%, activity level, metabolism, etc.

Terminator-850
07-31-2003, 03:46 AM
Basically to increase weight you want to create a "surplus " of calories than a deficit .....to lose weight you must create a deficit of calories....consistency is the key to dieting like most things... inconsistency in dieting can bring you unwanted results or lack of them.

And bradley you are right most of the body weight formulas dont account for those variables, but on the whole they are good estimates.

greekboy80
07-31-2003, 05:09 PM
got all that.......thanks, but i thought that i have seen a ratio of what you multiply times your weight and you get the needed info. like...........body weight X 12=cutting, BW X 14 = mantinance, BW X 16 = bulking. is that right?

bradley
07-31-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by greekboy80
got all that.......thanks, but i thought that i have seen a ratio of what you multiply times your weight and you get the needed info. like...........body weight X 12=cutting, BW X 14 = mantinance, BW X 16 = bulking. is that right?

12*bw lose weight
15*bw maintenance
18*bw gain weight

Although these should be used as rough estimates for reasons stated above. Adjusting your current daily calorie intake up or down in small increments each week would yield better results.

Wizard
07-31-2003, 05:20 PM
Through trial and error. As bradley said, there are some estimates but you can't really be based on the numbers.

greekboy80
08-01-2003, 10:35 AM
thanks guys.