PDA

View Full Version : basic carb question

Berserker
07-30-2003, 08:10 PM
Got some dumb questions. Does it matter what simle carbs you have after your wo? Today I bought some cranberry juice tonight and I am having a glass after my wo. Is there any benefit to dextrose or malto?
Also dumb ass question here. I know your not supposed to mix creatine with citric juices, but it doesn't matter if you drink juice and then creatine? I feel dumb asking. I started creatine again tonight. Never had much luck with but thought I'd give it one more chance.

bradley
07-31-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Berserker
Got some dumb questions. Does it matter what simle carbs you have after your wo? Today I bought some cranberry juice tonight and I am having a glass after my wo. Is there any benefit to dextrose or malto?

Well you want to keep an eye out for the fructose content, since fructose will preferentially refill liver glycogen instead of muscle glygogen.

Most fruit juices contain larger amounts of fructose, which is the reason they are not the ideal post workout carb source.

Also dumb ass question here. I know your not supposed to mix creatine with citric juices, but it doesn't matter if you drink juice and then creatine? I feel dumb asking. I started creatine again tonight. Never had much luck with but thought I'd give it one more chance.

You can mix the creatine with fruit juice if you like. Seeing as how the stomach contains hydrochloric acid I don't see how the acidity of fruit juice would come into play.

Berserker
07-31-2003, 11:08 AM
While fruit juice isn't ideal, is it that bad? I am not asking until I get the answer I want. But just because something isn't ideal doesn't mean it won't work. Also what food products would be good? Instead of gatoraide or dextro or malto powders.
Post wo carbs are something I've probably not put enough effort in. My pwo meal contains carbs but not pwo shake.

Manveet
07-31-2003, 12:38 PM
While fruit juice isn't ideal, is it that bad? I am not asking until I get the answer I want. But just because something isn't ideal doesn't mean it won't work. Also what food products would be good? Instead of gatoraide or dextro or malto powders.
Post wo carbs are something I've probably not put enough effort in. My pwo meal contains carbs but not pwo shake.

Well you want to refill muscle gylcogen first and foremost after a training session. Fructose primarily refills liver glycogen. Fructose is not ideal in this situation.

You usually want something liquid immediately after a training session. So a good mix of dextrose and protein is the way to go.

About 30min-60min after training, go with some low GI carbs like yams/brown rice.

bradley
07-31-2003, 02:17 PM
While fruit juice isn't ideal, is it that bad?

Well if you were to consume enough of it you would cause spillover into fat. The main thing is, yes you are consuming carbs, but the carbs are not getting to the muscles. Well this work, yes, but then again you would see better results using some other carbs source other than fructose.

But just because something isn't ideal doesn't mean it won't work.

I agree, but if there are better choices out there then why continue doing something that will yield less results?

Also what food products would be good? Instead of gatoraide or dextro or malto powders.

Well if you could take in some preworkout carbs along with a small amount of protein ~30-60 minutes before training and then have a whole food meal after training. For example, you could take in some oats and whey preworkout and then have a higher carb whole food meal after training. You do not necessarily have to consume dextrose, malto, etc. to see good results, and the amount of carbs consumed around training would be more important than the type of carbs consumed.

Berserker
07-31-2003, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the help.