PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate my intake ratios (bradley!)

geoffgarcia
07-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Aright, I've been tracking my diet for the last month now and since I dont know much about diet I want to make sure I'm on the right course.

I use a program called DietOrganizer to track my intake and it produces an "average" page which gives the following as my weekly average breakdown:

wk0 Cals /fat/carb/pro~f%/c%/p%
wk1 2422/68/220/165~26/37/28
wk2 2000/61/202/151~28/41/31
wk3 2270/69/215/155~27/37/28
wk4 2250/68/228/204~26/40/35

as you can see in week 4 my proteins have shot up by quite a lot. Thats because now I'm taking protein 3 times per day (proteinFactory)

My average day is:
morning protein shake+glutamine
yogurt
tbsp of olive oil

Basically I can hit just about any diet number I aim at whether it be grams of fats or proteins, or %'s of each, but I just dont know what #'s to aim at?!

Is 170g of protein enough?
Should I stick with 210g or shoot for 230? 250? 270?

Is 62-70g the right daily avg for fat intake? I dont get much from my food so I take the spoons of Udos, olive and safflower...better ideas?

Whats the best source of carbs? I've been doing the Uncle Bens long grain brown rice, is something out there better for me? Surely not pasta?

Any advice would be much appreciated everyone!!!!!

PS
I'm 27
5'10 182lbs at about 8%bf

I goto the gym 4 times a week
I am on the WBB#1 routine currently (in a 4 day split obviously) I do 10 minutes of cardio for warmup.

I'm pretty intense in the gym and want a diet that will keep up. My main goal is to put on 6-10lbs of lean muscle this year

My big lifts:
Hammer bench press 2x10@320
Hammer Military press 2x10@190
DL's 2x10@225
Squats 3x10@235
Pullups 2x17 (no weight currently)

JuniorMint6669
07-31-2003, 03:02 AM
Im not bradley... but if i know bradley...

he'd say something like "as long as you are getting 1g of protein per lb, and sufficient EFA's, the remaining macro's hardly matter"

Im not sure of the contents of UDO's, that is, whether it is from plant or animal sources. If the omega-3's come from plant sources, like flax, you may want to consider getting fish oil caps instead.

thats all for now... sorry 2 a.m.... so tired, im sure someone else will come in and help ya out with the rest of your questions- and if not, ill be back in 15 hours or so ;)

bradley
07-31-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
wk0 Cals /fat/carb/pro~f%/c%/p%
wk1 2422/68/220/165~26/37/28
wk2 2000/61/202/151~28/41/31
wk3 2270/69/215/155~27/37/28
wk4 2250/68/228/204~26/40/35

These look fine IMO. Asuuming that you are eating enough cals each week to cause a small increase in weight each week.

Basically I can hit just about any diet number I aim at whether it be grams of fats or proteins, or %'s of each, but I just dont know what #'s to aim at?!

I would not really worrry about any specific number, seeing as how there is not really any "ideal" intake. Remember everyone is different and experimentation will yield the best results. The main thing is making sure that you are taking in adequate amounts of essential nutrients (protein and EFAs).

Is 170g of protein enough?
Should I stick with 210g or shoot for 230? 250? 270?

While I am sure 170g of protien would be enough. I recommend keeping protein intake around 1g per lb. of bw.

Is 62-70g the right daily avg for fat intake? I dont get much from my food so I take the spoons of Udos, olive and safflower...better ideas?

That looks fine as far as fat intake is concerned although I see no reason to supplement with safflower oil which is composed mainly of n-6 fatty acids. Instead of the safflower oil just go with more olive oil or maybe another serving of Udos.

Here is something that I posted on Udos oil in another thread:
"The product itself is would probably be fine as far as quality, but it contains n-6 fats. Most people get plenty of n-6 fats in their diet so there really is no need to supplement with a product that would further increase the amount of n-6 fats in their diet.

Also the n-3 fats are derived from ALA which has to be converted to EPA/DHA in the body, which is not an effectient process.

I would just supplement with fish oil since it supplies EPA/DHA directly without the need for conversion, and there is no need for more n-6 fats unless you feel you are not getting enough through your diet."

Whats the best source of carbs? I've been doing the Uncle Bens long grain brown rice, is something out there better for me? Surely not pasta?

I would stick to carbs such as oats, sweet potatoes, veggies, fruit, beans, ww bread, etc. Pasta would be fine and I find the whole wheat variety to be tasty.:)