PDA

View Full Version : Simple post workout

r6phantom
07-31-2003, 09:22 AM
Simple post workout drink session....

How much approximately is 50 grams of dextrose? 2 tablespoon? i bought a 500g bottle, and it doesnt look like it will last long, maybe ten times only? did i buy the right one

I dont have maltodextrin, so my drink would be 3 scoops of chocolate whey, making 39g protein, 50g dextrose.

Some typical mixes i see people having 50g dex, 50g malt, 40g whey. does that make it somewhere around 640 calories? sounds a big hefty for cutting.

AdamGberg
07-31-2003, 09:58 AM
i posted teh same exact thing when i first got my dextrose...about a heaping tablespoon...i put only around 40, because it is too sweet for my taste....

stuff probably only costs around 2$ for 500grams, so it is ok....

Stephen Riddington
07-31-2003, 10:13 AM
For my postworkout drink, I used about 5g of creatine (a rounded teaspoon) and I add about 40g of dextrose (applying the math from the creatine, 8 rounded teaspoons). Then I mix it with juice that have high natural occuring sugars such as cranberry juice or grape juice. (Freakin' sweet as hell). Did you buy it in a bottle or a jar? If you did, maybe you should buy it in bulk, I paid like 2 bucks for 1kg of dextrose. Go to a Lifestyle store or Health store; where they sell those organic crap and etc. They should be selling dextrose in bulk.

bradley
07-31-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by r6phantom
How much approximately is 50 grams of dextrose? 2 tablespoon? i bought a 500g bottle, and it doesnt look like it will last long, maybe ten times only? did i buy the right one

Here is the conversion that I use and it is pretty accurate as far as I know. You will have to do some conversions to adjust the amount to 50g.:)

60g= 6.25 tablespoons = 6 tablespoons + .75 teaspoons = .39 cups

I dont have maltodextrin, so my drink would be 3 scoops of chocolate whey, making 39g protein, 50g dextrose.

Sounds fine , but you probably do not need that much protein post workout.

Have you considered using a pre workout shake that contains a small amount of carbs (25-35g) and protein (10-15g)? Then you could have post workout shake that contains ~25g of protein and ~50g carbs.

Some typical mixes i see people having 50g dex, 50g malt, 40g whey. does that make it somewhere around 640 calories? sounds a big hefty for cutting.

I agree that is a large shake (560 calories actually:) ) and it would depend on the size of the individual in question, as well as the duration of training.

If you were to split that up into a pre/post workout shake it would be better served.

Blood&Iron
07-31-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by r6phantom
Simple post workout drink session....

How much approximately is 50 grams of dextrose?

A little more than 3 tablespoons

Or about a protein scoop's worth.

bradley
07-31-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

A little more than 3 tablespoons

Or a protein scoop filled up about halfway.

Holto measured out the conversion I stated above and came to the conclusion that it was accurate.

Although I could be wrong.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33764&highlight=dextrose

Blood&Iron
07-31-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Holto measured out the conversion I stated above and came to the conclusion that it was accurate.

Although I could be wrong.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33764&highlight=dextrose

Dunno. All I know is that the above amount, when measured on my kitchen scale, comes out to just around 50g. My scale could well be off.

Also, so far as I recall, 1tbsp of sugar weighs about 14g or so (at least I think this is the figure given in cook books, etc)

EDIT: I should have also specified 'heaping' tablespoon. Also, I dunno why in the hell I said half a protein scoop. I meant a full one; I've edited the previous post. Obviously, I have no idea what the f*ck I'm talking about.

Fenway
08-03-2003, 07:26 PM
er i have a question. Whats the difference between dextrose and maltodextrin, do i need to be taking both ?????

bradley
08-04-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Fenway
er i have a question. Whats the difference between dextrose and maltodextrin, do i need to be taking both ?????

Dextrose is a monosaccharide composed of one glucose molecule, and maltodextrin is a polysaccharide made up of 3-8 glucose molecules "hooked" together.

If you are taking more than 50g of dextrose post workout you would probably want to go with a 50/50 blend of dextrose/malto.