PDA

View Full Version : Does hip size shrink w/fat loss?

Y2A
07-31-2003, 12:57 PM
I know your waist shrinks with fat loss, but what about teh hips? I ask because I dont wear my pants at the waist, but down a little towards the hips. Its a much bigger area, just wondering if it gets small as you drop weight.

EdgarMex
07-31-2003, 01:02 PM
My guess would be that it depends on how much fat is stored at your hips. In my case, most is in my belly and chest, but in this last cut I have lost plenty all over, including the hips. The only thing that sucks about it is that my pants are now pretty loose, which in your case would be a really bad thing :D Just make sure you can tighten your belt enough so you pants won't fall.

Y2A
07-31-2003, 01:11 PM
lol, yeah Ill be sure to keep the belt tight, since I wear my dress pants at work just above my ass too. Its comfortable :D

aka23
07-31-2003, 04:55 PM
Have you ever seen women who go on low cal diets and seem to lose fat around their waist and upper body while maintaining wide hips? One might think that hip size does not shrink with fat loss. The problem is that subcutaneous leg/hip fat is difficult to mobilize through diet alone. This is especially true for women. When cardio/weightraining is included along with the diet, the hip/leg fat tends to be better moblized, so proportionally more hip/leg fat is lost. A related study is below:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9432085&dopt=Abstract

chops
07-31-2003, 11:41 PM
:hump:

makes sense. my sister and i are the same height/weight. at one time, we had the same proportions. she doesn't wo and is definitely pear shaped compared to moi nowadays.

i wish cardio would mobilize fat in my current problem areas. :mad: :mad: :mad:

so y2a, u gonna try step up the cardio? i have never seen a man with big hips!

Y2A
08-01-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by chops
so y2a, u gonna try step up the cardio? i have never seen a man with big hips!

I might, bah, evil cardio :( I dont have "big" hips per se, like a latin girl :drooling: But there is definately a difference between my waist size and hip size...