PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated: Road To Lean Muscle

Dedicated
07-31-2003, 05:23 PM
Starting a journal, I was gonna do this before but kept putting it off, this forum makes it more motivating cause I can get feedback. And if it does work, maybe someone else can use this as a guide.
My goal is to lose body fat and increase the muscle I have. The main goal is to lose body fat though, the fat in the belly area.

I lifted a few years ago, when I was a 110lb scrawny little punk, and went to 180lbs in a matter of months. I worked out VERY hard then. But with that also came body fat, which I haven't made a real effort to get rid of. Right now I probably weigh somewhere between 170 - 200lbs, I'm not gonna concern myself with weight cause a weight gain could be a muscle gain.

So far before starting this journal it has been 2 weeks or so since the lifting started, and I've seen "small" improvements in lifting so I must be increasing muscle slowly. I also think I've lost about 2-5lbs in fat around the stomach area. On a side note, I haven't been lifting that "hard", the day before posting this was the only day I actually lifted "hard".

The improvements in my cardio have been amazing, the cardio has been going on for 4-5 weeks and I went from .5 miles to 3 miles now almost, and this is including a small knee injury which caused me to stop running for a week. I tryed cardio 6 months ago when I quit smoking(I smoked for 10 years) and I couldn't take it. Now 6 months later it is so much easier! The squats also seem to help take some pressure off the knees when I run, maybe by making the muscle stronger who knows.

If I'm certain of anything it is that my energy has quadrupled since I started working out and stopped eating garbage, very amazing. It's even hard to fall asleep some times, so much energy. It's even harder to restrain myself from running every single day.

In the mornings I take a liquid vitamin B complex, and the following pill vitamins: calcium(sometimes 2), biotin(b8, 2-3 a day), Niacin, Vitamin E(sometimes 2), B-6, Zinc, and a multivitamin. The vitamins started just a few days before this post, and the protein drinks started today. Since I started the vitamins, my breathing while doing cardio seems to be easier, and my energy has also increased incredibly. Not sure if it's psychological or the fact that my body has finally gotten used to the low calorie diet but it's working cause I feel great.

I only drink water, and I stretch alot and move around alot to warm up before workouts. I've never gotten hurt lifting weights so I guess it must work. All workouts are between 5am and 7am in the morning before college or work. I think I need to lose like 20lbs of fat before I can to the beach and look GREAT. Going to the beach and looking great is really my main goal I guess:cool:

Day 1
Very sore from previous workout, worked out 2 times yesterday, thanks peer pressure heh. Extremely energetic today after exercise, but woke up tired. Yesterday I worked the upper body very HARD.
Exercise
Squats: 3 sets of 6-10, 85lbs
Jogged: 30minutes 2.8 miles
Stomach: none today, very sore in stomach from previous workout
Food
meal 1: tuna 150 calories, 32.5g protein
meal 2: tuna, protein drink 265 calories, 52.5g protein
meal 3: can of spinach 90 calories, 9g protein
meal 4: protein drink 115 calories, 20g protein
meal 5: 2 battered frozen fish, 1 tomato, cocktail sauce, peas 457 calories, 16g protein
meal 6: protein drink 115 calories 20g protein
Total Calories: 1192
Total Protein: 150 grams
Upper body and stomach muscles still hurt bad, hopefully tommorow it won't be so bad.

Shane
07-31-2003, 06:26 PM
:spam: Good luck with your new journal Dedicated.

Uh...this is gonna sound crazy coming from me but you need to eat more then that man.

midee1
07-31-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Dedicated
. I tryed cardio 6 months ago when I quit smoking(I smoked for 10 years) and I couldn't take it. Now 6 months later it is so much easier!

Congrats on the non smoking. I myself have been smoke free since Jan 02 after 18 years. It just keeps getting better.

By the way here is some :spam: for your new journal.

Dedicated
07-31-2003, 06:36 PM
Thanks! Yea I do need to eat a bit more, I'll try to eat more tommorow. The scary part is that I'm not hungry. The first few days I was starving, but after like 3 days of the low calorie thing, I guess my stomach got used to it. I'll definitely try to eat a bit more, I don't want to lose any muscle heh. So far it seems I'm "maintaining" my muscle with "very slow" improvements when lifting, and that is probably cause I'm not eating that much. If I started eating more I know my lifting would skyrocket, I guess I'm just kinda scared that I won't lose any weight hehe.

Dedicated
08-01-2003, 07:56 AM
Day 2
Slept terrible, stress...but laid in bed for a good while. Woke up hungry, lats are sore from pulldowns I did prior to starting this journal with some machines. Stomach muscle hurts bad. Did the vitamin thing and water as usual before workout. I could have pushed myself more on bench, but I didn't. Today is the first day for barbell rows, and I seem to be not progressing to well on curls. Military press has improved slightly, but today it didn't. I guess it's expected with such low caloric intake. On the bright side, I looked in the mirror this morning, and it really does seem like I'm losing inches in the belly area. Plus I feel so great after working out. Lets hope I'm right and it keeps working!
Exercise
Bench: 85lbs X 12, 135lbs X 10, 155lbs X 5, 165lbs X 3
Military Press(standing): 85lbs X 10, 85lbs X 6, 85lbs X 5
Bent-Over Barbell Rows: 65lbs X 10(3 sets)
Curls: 85lbs X 10, 85lbs X 6, 85lbs X 5
Push-ups: 2-3 sets light
Stomach: 10 minutes intensive
Jogged: 10.25 minutes, 1 mile
Walked: 9-10 minutes, 1/2 mile
Food
meal 1: tuna, protein drink 265 calories, 52.5g protein
meal 2: 3/4 of green pepper raw 12 calories
meal 3: tuna 150 calories 32.5g protein
meal 4: green tea, 4 scrambled eggs, 4 strips of bacon 520 calories 32g protein
meal 5: protein drink 115 calories 20g protein
Total Calories: 1177
Total Protein: 157 grams
Good day overall.

AllUp
08-01-2003, 08:19 AM
hehe just walk:P I Went from 315lb to 245 in roughly 5mo by eating right and walking 5mi/day rain or shine, Get a bud and make it part of your daily routine:) Currently i can eat like a horse and i still lose roughly 1.5-2.25lb/wk while packing on lean muscle(only eat healthy stuff though, lots of B Vit's Protein Calcium, ~1gal water/day ,lots of Total or Optimum Cereal and PROTEIN).
Goodluck on reaching your goals and grats on giving up smoking. :)
-Allup

Dedicated
08-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Thanks:) Walking is good, I always walk to cool down usually. I'll try some extra walking tommorow after my jog. Maybe throw in 2 miles or something, will see how my legs feel. The jogging has a huge psychological impact on me I think, it's just so great. Even today(Day2) I jogged when it was supposed to be my off day from legs heh.

Guevara139
08-01-2003, 02:56 PM
good luck man, it seems like you are on the right track, and I just wanted to add a little :spam:

Dedicated
08-02-2003, 08:39 AM
Day 3
Jog was very hard today, struggled for the 30 minute mark. I'd kill for some pasta but trying to do the low carb thing cause it's working so far I think. Must force myself to take it easy for the rest of the day and not to jog tommorow, need to rest legs and body. Plus I need to study for finals, can't slack. Also another note to self, must run earlier especially when the ripped fuel I ordered gets here. Way too hot to run when the sun is out like it was today, must run earlier in the dark or when the sun is rising. Sleep was a little better last night, roughly 6.5-7.5 hours, still very restless though.
Exercise
Squats: 85lbs X 10(3 sets)
Stomach: 5 minutes intensive
Jogging: 30 minutes, miles unknown
Walking: 7/16 mile cool down
Food
meal 1: cauliflower in cheese sauce, 3/4 tomato, protein drink 327.775 calories 27.5g protein
meal 2: tuna 150 calories 32.5g protein
meal 3: tuna 150 calories 32.5g protein
meal 4: tuna 150 calories 32.5g protein
meal 5: 1 boiled egg, 2 slices of turkey meat, protein drink 245 calories 32g protein
meal 6: protein drink, 115 calories 20g protein
Total Calories: 1137.775
Total Protein: 177 grams

Dedicated
08-03-2003, 08:24 AM
Day 4
Well today was the best work-out day to date. Took a melatonin last night and slept awesome, only 7 hours though cause I woke up hungry. Drank some water, took vitamins, and hit the weights. Added 2 new exercises, 1 for the forearms, and 1 for upper chest. After the work-out I felt great, so decided to trim my chest with an electric razor. I can actually start to see abdominal muscle under my chest if I flex it is so motivating! I never believed in eating less or any kind of diet and my only regret is not starting sooner! On the downside, I see my weaknesses, I need to work on upper chest more, so I'm glad I added inclines. I also need to work on my inner chest alot more. Another area of concern is my lats. I added 20lbs to the reps I did today cause I'm still trying to get the form so I'm trying to feel the burn. Hopefully my lats are sore tommorow so I know that I did the bent over barbell rows correctly. Awesome day though, oh and wow am I white, chest hair really blocks the sun! Another note, my bench increased today by doing 1 more rep at 165lbs and I could have pushed it more but no spotter. Also military press improved, and even though curls improved, I feel that it's gonna be hard to improve much on it, that's why I added that forearm routine. So overall main things to improve on from here are
Lose Fat, Upper Chest, Inner Chest, Lats
Exercise
Bench: 85lb X 12, 135lb X 10, 155lb X 5, 165lb X 4
Incline: 135lb X 7, 135lb X 4
Military Press: 85lb X 10, 85lb X 9, 85lb X 8
Bent-Over Barbell Rows: 85lb X 10, 85lb X 9, 85lb X 8
Curls: 85lb X 10, 85lb X 9, 85lb X 8
Wrist Curl: 65lb X 10, 65lb X 8
Pushups: 3 sets light
Stomach: 6 minutes intensive
Food
meal 1: tuna, protein drink 265 calories 52.5g protein
meal 2: brocolli in cheese sauce, 2 slices white turkey, 1/4 green pepper, 5 olives 285 calories 15.5g protein
meal 3: tuna 150 calories, 32.5g protein
meal 4: crinkle cut carrots 175 calories
meal 6: 2 boiled eggs, protein drink 255 calories 32g protein
Total Calories: 1245
Total Protein: 152.5 grams
Couldn't finish the carrots so take away a few calories from total calories.

Dedicated
08-04-2003, 05:13 AM
Day 5
Good things come in pairs, best cardio day yet. Woke up at 4:00am. I'm not sure if coffee has calories, but I had a small cup of cuban coffee, like half a shot glass before running and after doing squats/calves. Need to focus more on good posture when running. Breathing was awesome today, mouth closed the entire time ala julio cesar chavez. I did wake up a little sore. Also 2 aches to look out for: left knee and left shoulder. Nothing serious, but they hurt a little so something to watch for. I added some weight to squats per recommendation of someone on this mssg board, forgot who, but it looks like thats all I'm gonna be adding for a good while. With no squat rack it's difficult, and lifting the bar puts unneeded stress on my shoulders and arms, especially when it's my recovery day for the upper body. Every bit counts, I think I'll stick to this weight and just aim for upping the reps. Also note to self: use a towel or something for the calf raise, that bar is heavy on my legs.
Exercise
Squats: 95lb X 10, 95lb X 7, 95lb X 7
Seated Calf Raise: 95lb X 20(2 sets)
Stomach: 6 minutes intensive
Jogging: 41 minutes! miles unknown
Walking: 9/16 mile cool down
Food
meal 1: tuna, protein drink 265 calories 52.5g protein
meal 2: tuna, protein drink 265 calories 52.5g protein
meal 3: canned spinach 90 calories 9g protein
meal 4: 2 battered fish with cocktail sauce 380 calories, 14g protein
meal 5: fried fish 300 calories 47g protein
meal 7: protein drink 115 calories 20g protein
Total Calories: 1530
Total Protein: 215 grams
Lotta calories today as well as protein, the fried fish is an "estimate". The entire package was 4 servings at 110 calories each with 19grams of protein per serving. I ate a good portion of it but not all of it, maybe not even half of it. It was fried in oil so I added a few extra calories, ballpark figure. Had a late night protein drink, really high calories now and high protein, but I feel I need it, body hurts, especially legs from that jog this morning.

Stabber
08-04-2003, 12:11 PM
nice journal and good luck dude. I find it really interesting that our lifts and eating habits are very close :eek: even down the amount of weight lol . Are you my brother? :D

I'm going to be watching this, as I am intaking very low calories too and would like to see what happens. How tall are you? Bf%? Age? Careful with that ephedra stuff. It hurt my balls. Do you take any dextrose post workout ? I may try the low carb thing pretty soon if i dont see progress. Make sure you let us know if you lost any muscle due to the calorie restriction.

Dedicated
08-04-2003, 12:56 PM
You are my long lost brother lol. I'm 24, my liscence says 5'9 , I think I'm like 5'10 though. As for weight, I don't have a scale. Bodyfat, no idea, but I definitely need to lose the gut and the love handles. It's coming off, it just needs to come off faster. School is over for me wednesday(summer semester) and my ripped fuel gets here thursday. I'm gonna work out like an animal. Possibly adding 1-2 hour walks after my cardio to burn more calories, will see how good the ripped fuel is heh. I plan to take the full dosage after a testing day possibly. I was reading through your journal and well, this is just proof that we are brothers this is nuts.

School starts up again August 25th.
Same here!

But I have gained weight in the gut, love handles
Yea me too, need to get rid of that crap lol. Thats why i started mainly, I wanna go to the beach and look good dammit lol. 24 years old and can't go to the beach and look good, not a good feeling at all. It's now or never.

6-23-03 Topic of the day: losing your hair sucks
LOL I can relate, I "think" I'm getting a receding hairline:mad:

Notes: sweet. Finally ran a mile after a month of trying. I could barely get around the track once when I first started (1/4mile track)a few weeks ago. I did my first mile and this is the farthest I have ever run my whole life. Never know when you'll need to run from the po po's
Keep running!! Running for me is like my new thing, I like it more than lifting, it is soooo good.

What is HIIT? High Intensity "something" Training? I've seen it all over the boards and have no clue what it means. Is it like really intense cause I noticed you only do 5 minutes of it. I don't take dextrose not sure what that is? I usually take water and the vitamins I listed in the first post. I think out of all those the liquid b complex one gives me energy not sure. You hold it under your tongue for like 30 and then swallow it. I like to think it helps, but it might be psychological. Your balls hurting sounds like you strained yourself cause of all the energy. I took ephedrine about ummm 6 years ago when I was working the night shift(12hr shifts) and it affected like my peeing kinda. Like I'd go to the bathroom and have to piss, but nothing would come out. This is normal and it isn't just ephedrine, all forms of speed do that, crack, cocaine... etc. It also increases sexual endurance while your on it. I didn't have any permanent side effects from it and I took TONS of it. I've also done hardcore drugs years ago so I think my body is like used to being "stimulated" heh. And yea, I will definitely keep this updated, so far I haven't lost muscle, only gained it.

It really is nice to see someone out there with pretty much the exact same goal and almost the exact same age:)

Oh this is one article that motivated me to do the whole low calorie thing, check this out.
http://www.bodyfatguide.com/PoundADay.htm

This guy ate 1161 calories on one day, and 1147 calories on another, and lost 1lb of fat each day according to him. Of course, he had do to an insane amount of exercise but it is possible. What is interesting about it is that he says if he went any lower on his calories, he would have lost muscle. My guess to all this is that everyone has a caloric need that is required to maintain muscle. Surprisingly he has alot more muscle than me, and can maintain it with so few calories. Anyways it caught my attention and motivated me to do the low calorie thing, and so far it's going good. I'll keep a close watch on your journal from now on, very similiar! Goodluck and keep kicking ass!:cool:

Edit - I weigh between 170 - 195, I have some muscle+fat so definitely not under 170 heh.

Another thing to think about, I read somewhere playing basketball for 2 hours at like the park doesn't burn as many calories as a 30 min jog would. Not sure how intense tennis is, but something to think about. Realize that with jogging, there isn't a single break. I started I think like 6 weeks ago at 1/2 mile and now I'm over 3 miles. Run more!
My whole belief on the whole calorie thing is, as long as you can keep pushing the weight, you will make small gains and not lose muscle.

AllUp
08-04-2003, 01:20 PM
hehe it IS Possible, ive done it. but that was walking 21miles/wk every day, but i hit a plateau:( . Funny, i was actually accused of being on the pipe:/. Try to look up a calorie calculator. i think theres one at www.ahealthyme.com , i know for me it said roughly 500cals below needed calorie intake would take off atleast 1lb/wk while going 500cals over w/EFA's and workout would add 1lb of muscle. Seems right assuming you slept atleast 8hr/day, Once i started getting crappy sleep i noticed i lost less:( .

-AllUp

Stabber
08-04-2003, 01:33 PM

Yea me too, need to get rid of that crap lol. Thats why i started mainly, I wanna go to the beach and look good dammit lol. 24 years old and can't go to the beach and look good, not a good feeling at all.

LOL. Life definitely changed when I got older man. Easier to slack I guess.

Thanks for the info. I may do the ECA thing again. I might try Sans Tight which really isnt even an ECA. Ephedra hurt da balls. Dextrose is usually taken post workout to aid in muscle recovery. It's basically just carbs you add to your protein shake. Though I havent seen significant research in this. But many swear by this. I still dont like the idea of the extra carbs.

Running is more fun than lifting definitely. I run at night at my old high school. Just me and the track. I'm going to blast some Rocky music one of these days :D
I used to be a scronny dude at 160lbs (i'm 6'1). I want to get to a nice lean 175lbs. I dont have the body type to look big anyway. I will always look skinny unless I hit the drugs. I started gaining weight slowly 2 years ago when I was with my girlfriend. All those damn cheesesteaks caught up to me and I got to 205lbs. This sucks. I swear I will NOT be fat and bald oneday :mad: :D

Dedicated
08-04-2003, 02:53 PM
I swear I will NOT be fat and bald oneday
Hehe, if your worried about hair loss try vitamins. These have been proven to help in some cases and you won't get any weird side effects. I take everything except Inositol and Choline, wal-mart didn't have them heh.
Vitamin B3 (niacin) - take like 50 mg 3 times daily.
Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) - take like 100 mg 3 times daily.
Pyridoxine (vitamin B6) - take like 50 mg 3 times
Biotin(vitamin B8) - take like 50 mg 3 times daily.
Vitamin E - 400 - 800 UI
Zinc - 50 - 100mg a day, NO MORE than this
Inositol - about 100mg twice a day
Choline - no idea how much to take

Inositol and Choline are supposed to really help. If you buy vitamin E, make sure it's natural, read the ingredients and look for alpha tocopherol, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate, or d-alpha tocopheryl succinate. That means its natural vitamin E and its 4x more potent. 100UI of natural = 400UI of synthetic. If it's like dl-alphasomething, then it's synthetic, and even though it's good, it's not as good.
Amazing the **** I learned in 1 semester of human nutrition lol. Who would have that I would EVER use it hehe.

Also about the running, I read that if you run in the morning it raises your metabolism for the rest of the day, thus burning more fat, dunno if it's true or not though.
Also if you do start with vitamins, watch your vitamin A, over 100, 000 UI a day can make your hair fall out. Goodluck man.

Fenway
08-04-2003, 04:15 PM
keep up the good work dedicated.....and your right, an online journal is the best way to point yourself in the right direction

Scott S
08-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Looks good so far! I agree with the others that you may want to eat a little more, but apart from that, I have nothing useful to add except :spam:.

Dedicated
08-04-2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the kind words, it provides nothing but motivation.:)

Dedicated
08-05-2003, 05:55 AM
Day 6
This morning I didn't work out cause I was sore. But this afternoon I was kind of upset so I decided to workout to relieve some stress if anything. Freaking women can be cruel, I have no luck I always get rejected:cry: Anyways I was still sore cause a few things weren't as good as last time, mainly forearms/curls. Added 2 sets of decline to my routine. On the bright side, I'm really looking forward to tommorow mornings run, I can't wait and my knee is feeling better. I might try to add a long walk after it, just burned some new music and really excited about it.
Exercise
Bench: 85lb X 12, 135lb X 10, 155lb X 5, 165lb X 4
Decline: 135lb X 6, 135lb X 5
Incline: 135lb X 7, 135lb X 4
Military Press: 85lb X 10, 85lb X 8, 85lb X 7
Bent-Over Barbell Rows: 85lb X 3(3 sets)
Curls: 85lb X 10, 85lb X 9, 85lb X 8
Wrist Curls: 65lb X 14, 65lb X 7
Food
meal 1: brocolli with cheese sauce, protein drink 315 calories 27.5g protein
meal 2: tuna, 150 calories, 32.5g protein
meal 3: pasta with fish stuff 310 calories
meal 4: tuna, protein drink 227.5 calories 45g protein
meal 5: protein drink, tuna 227.5 calories 45g protein
Total Calories: 1230 calories
Total Protein: 150g protein
Note: I might have had an extra can of tuna in there with an extra protein drink, I don't remember, long stressful day.
I'm estimating that the pasta had about 310 calories, cause the package had 4 servings and other people ate. I had VERY little. Bought some more tuna, it's a different brand, cheaper and better. Has less protein but half the sodium! 25g protein and 420 sodium per can as opposed to like 32.5 and 700+ sodium. It also has less calories 112.5 calories per can as opposed to 150 calories per can. It taste better too, I should have bought more but I ran out of money.
Btw if anyone reads this and is wondering what exactly is "Stomach: 5 minutes intensive" it just means I work the stomach nonstop for 5 minutes. Sometimes more, depends on my energy level. The only break is when I get in position for a new exercise. Leg lifts, crunches, all kinds of stomach exercises. I know you can't spot reduce but it's good cardio if anything, it's intensive. And hey bruce lee always worked the stomach!

pruneman
08-05-2003, 07:07 PM
Hey Dedicated. Think this may be my first appearance in your journal.

haha, I thought stomach intensive was intense hunger pains :D...jk Seriously though...is that all the cals your getting each day? That is really really really low. I think you should be getting at least 2000....just don't want you to end up looking like me :D (skin and bones)

hey...got a tuna tip for ya....I usually buy the lower sodium stuff too, but to get rid of excess sodium, i drain the can, fill it back up with water and drain it again. I do this a few times and i am pretty sure it gets rid of a good portion of the sodium.
Peace!

-prune

Dedicated
08-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Good idea about the tuna thanks! Never thought of filling the can with water, and yea I read that draining it gets rid of like 75% of the sodium, I just couldn't figure out how to do it. The thought of filling the can with water never occured to me lol. I'll try that tommorow.:cool:

Dedicated
08-06-2003, 04:55 AM
Day 7
Good run today, 5.1 miles! 5 miles was my original goal about 4-6 weeks ago when i started running 1/2 mile. I dunno if I can do this 5 mile thing everytime, so I won't get that excited. I'm starting to worry I'm not eating enough, everyone keeps saying I'm not and I'm starting to worry I'll lose muscle. So far I haven't lost any, if anything I look more muscular. I'm still worried though.... I gotta work today, outdoors, hard labor, all day, or else I would have added a longer walk after the run. The work sucks but If I don't take advantage of this time off from college to work and make some money, I'll run out of protein money! I wanna increase my protein intake by ALOT to make sure I don't lose muscle. But I need more money before I can do that. That shoulder that was hurting, completely healed. Left knee, still hurts like VERY slightly when I kneel down. Last night I took 4 aspirin also, and took 2 this morning, I think it helped with my run. Or maybe it was the music, who knows, it worked. Breathing was good. Still need to watch posture while running. Chest is sore, forearms of course are sore, tommorow I should take an off day from the weights but knowing me I won't. I mean, I just can't do nothing, I'm so used to this now. Traps are sore also, and after working today I know I will be sore tommorow, unless a miracle from god cures my aches and pains lol. Will see tommorow about taking the day off....not sure. Reminder to self: Measure new running path before friday morning, 3 laps at 1.7 miles each sucks, need a single long stretch, more motivating. Oh and force feeding sucks, had to force feed all this crap in the morning, meals 1-3 several minutes apart cause of work, it's gonna be hard today...Oh and pruneman, you freaking rock brother, rinsed tuna > salty tuna.
Exercise
Squats: 95lb x 10, 95lb X 10, 95lb X 7
Seated Calf Raise: 95lb x 20(3 sets)
Jogging: 53 minutes 5.1 miles!:)
Food
meal 1: protein drink 115 calories 20g protein
meal 2: protein drink, tuna 265 calories 52.5g protein
meal 3: protein drink, tuna 265 calories 52.5g protein
meal 4: tuna 112.5 calories 25g protein
meal 5: gatorade 300 calories
meal 6: salmon with onions and green peppers 400 calories 40g protein
Total Calories: 1357.5
Total Protein: 190 grams
Hurt my hand today at work, tommorow is off day, no choice.
Gatorade is an estimate on calories, has lots of carbs too but i ran out of water. The salmon is also an estimate, it looked like about 6 ounces and there is about 23g per 3 oz piece so prolly more protein actually, and even possibly more calories. Not exact. I am not disappointed with my higher calories for today, I worked very hard today and burnt lots of calories. I'm in extreme pain, my hand that is, I hope it gets better.:( My ripped fuel gets here tommorow, good day to take a few and play with it, since it's my off day.

Stabber
08-06-2003, 06:48 AM
Day 7
Good run today, 5.1 miles! 5 miles was my original goal about 4-6 weeks ago when i started running 1/2 mile. I dunno if I can do this 5 mile thing everytime, so I won't get that excited. I'm starting to worry I'm not eating enough, everyone keeps saying I'm not and I'm starting to worry I'll lose muscle. So far I haven't lost any, if anything I look more muscular. I'm still worried though.... I gotta work today, outdoors, hard labor, all day, or else I would have added a longer walk after the run. The work sucks but If I don't take advantage of this time off from college to work and make some money, I'll run out of protein money! I wanna increase my protein intake by ALOT to make sure I don't lose muscle. But I need more money before I can do that. That shoulder that was hurting, completely healed. Left knee, still hurts like VERY slightly when I kneel down. Last night I took 4 aspirin also, and took 2 this morning, I think it helped with my run. Or maybe it was the music, who knows, it worked. Breathing was good. Still need to watch posture while running. Chest is sore, forearms of course are sore, tommorow I should take an off day from the weights but knowing me I won't. I mean, I just can't do nothing, I'm so used to this now. Traps are sore also, and after working today I know I will be sore tommorow, unless a miracle from god cures my aches and pains lol. Will see tommorow about taking the day off....not sure. Reminder to self: Measure new running path before friday morning, 3 laps at 1.7 miles each sucks, need a single long stretch, more motivating. Oh and force feeding sucks, had to force feed all this crap in the morning, meals 1-3 several minutes apart cause of work, it's gonna be hard today...Oh and pruneman, you freaking rock brother, rinsed tuna > salty tuna.
Exercise
Squats: 95lb x 10, 95lb X 10, 95lb X 7
Seated Calf Raise: 95lb x 20(3 sets)
Jogging: 53 minutes 5.1 miles!:)
Food
meal 2: protein drink, tuna 265 calories 52.5g protein
meal 3: protein drink, tuna 265 calories 52.5g protein

Whats up long lost brother. Yes you need to take a day off. I am paying for it for being too gung-ho. My knee is killing me. I tried to run yesterday and had to walk. Then, when I did try to run my damn cd player fell and almost broke :eek:

Anyway, I know it sucks taking days off. But I plan to take 2 days off this week. Don't worry about the calories yet if things are going good. Keep your calories the same for now. If you feel like you are losing too much LBM, then eat more. Grab a scale. That's a good way to measure progress. If you're losing more than 2lbs/week, then you need to eat more. How many years left of college?
-Stab

Lesnar_Rocks
08-06-2003, 02:26 PM
:spam:

Dedicated
08-07-2003, 07:34 PM
Something to remember for tommorow, reconsider taking fipped fuel before running, maybe take it after running. I took 2 capsules and I feel really freaking high, dunno how my body would handle running 5 miles+ripped fuel. Something to think about. Maybe take 1 and run, or take 2 after I run to help keep my metabolism up throughout the day.

Stabber
08-07-2003, 08:18 PM
keep it up man. let me know about the ripped fuel. Im thinking of ordering some. Did you get it with ephedra?

Dedicated
08-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Yes with ephedra, it rocks so far. I did some searching and one place had it for like 50 dollars a bottle, but after more searching I found a place that had it for 27.50 a bottle. They stopped making it with ephedra, so soon you won't be able to buy it with ephedra. Here is the link. Also if you decide to buy elsewhere, regular ripped fuel is supposed to be better than ripped fuel extreme, according to what I've read.
http://www.fitnessfirstusa.com/details.asp?item=5131

Dedicated
08-08-2003, 08:16 AM
Day 9
I really didn't feel like running this morning but I did, and I'm very glad I did, cause I feel alot better now. Anyways got up, I only took a liquid b-12 complex, a multivitamin(i think) and a calcium, and 1 ripped fuel tablet. Drank some water, did some stomach work, then ran. Didn't do squats cause my hand is still hurting so I wanna let it heal. Plus my ankles are sore. Decent run, it was very hard I will admit it, the sun was out and I struggled to finish I felt like I wasn't gonna make it. It feels really good to be able to say, "yea I ran 5 miles", cause that was my main goal when I started, feels so great so it's worth the struggle. Bruce Lee was a 5 mile runner, but he did it much faster than me, in 40-45 minutes. Took a ripped fuel after running, I'll prolly take a few throughout the day, how many depending on how I feel. The bottle says 6 a day, I doubt I'll take that many, maybe 1 during lunch and 1 around 3-4 aclock, we will see dunno yet. Another note, ripped fuel really gets rid of your appetite, I'm force feeding this freaking tuna atm. The hand is much better now, I can type and it doesn't hurt as bad, I really hope I can workout tommorow, I'm really scared to lose muscle, especially cause I'm doing more cardio now and I know my calories are gonna be freaking low cause of the ripped fuel. So far so good though. Note: Sleep was low last night, went to bed a little after one, woke up around 745ish or early 8ish don't remember, not enough sleep.
Exercise
Jogging: 5.1 miles 52.5 minutes
Walking: 1/2 mile slow
Food
meal 2: tuna, protein drink 227.5 calories 45g protein
meal 3: 3 slices honey ham, 2 slices hard salami, 1 slice swiss cheese, 300 calories
meal 4: 3 boiled eggs, 210 calories, 18g protein
meal 5: steak with onions and green peppers 500 calories 40g protein
Total Calories: 1352.5
Total Protein: 123 grams
For meal 3 i estimated, prolly alot less calories than that, slices were very thin, im sure it has protein too but i don't know the exact amount. They are cut at the deli so they aren't labeled with nutritional info. meal 5 is also an estimate.

CHEATED - at night had pizza, pita bread with cheese and all kinds of ham, plus cereal, and tons of milk

Dedicated
08-09-2003, 08:45 AM
Day 10
Recovering from running, body still not used to 5 miles. Not working out today. Hand hurts less but still hurts, can't lift yet. Will be trying new workout starting monday, if hand is better(it should be). Running will be on offdays or when legs are able to run. This routine will allow for more cardio once my legs get used to a 5 mile distance and more recovery time from lifting.
Monday Chest/Back
Bench
Decline
Incline
Bent Over Barbell Rows
Deadlifts

Wednesday Legs
Squats
Standing Calf Raises
Seated Calf Raises
Stiff leg deadlifts

Friday Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders
Military Press(front shoulder)
Upright Rows(side shoulder) /* undecided */
Rows To Neck(rear shoulder) /* undecided */
Barbell Shrugs(traps)
Skull Crushers(triceps)
Barbell Curls(biceps)
Barbell Reverse Curls(upper forearm)
Barbell Wrist Curls(inner forearm)
Barbell Reverse Wrist Curls(outer forearm)

Exercise
None
Food
meal 1: tuna protein drink 227.5 calories 45g protein
meal 2: steak fried in olive oil, protein drink 615 calories 60g protein
Total Calories: 842.5
Total Protein: 105 grams
Ripped fuel kills the appetite, I take 5-6 a day. Left shin is still kinda sore, hopefully tommorow it's in good enough shape so I can run. Also never smoke weed after taking ripped fuel. Meal 2 is an estimate also.

Dedicated
08-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Day 11
Before run took 2 ripped fuel, multivitamin, calcium, biotin, vitamin E, b12 liquid complex, water. Hand still hurts, but I think I will be able to lift tommorow. Tommorow is the first day of my new weight training and I plan to do bench, decline, incline, bent over barbell rows, then deadlifts. I will prolly push till exhaustion on inclines since it will be the last chest exercise I do. Then do barbell rows and then deadlifts which I will prolly push till exhaustion or just workout really HARD on those 2, form is important on these, as I'm still new to them. Regardless, I need to lift as hard as I can tommorow, and pushing till exhaustion and decreasing weight seems to be the best route, since I workout alone.
Exercise
Jogging: 5.1 miles 53 minutes
Walking: 1/2 mile 10 minutes or so
Food
meal 1: Steak fried in olive oil with raw chopped garlic, protein drink 815 calories 60g protein
meal 2: protein drink 115 calories 20g protein
meal 3: tuna, 2 slices dominos pizza, protein drink 761.5 calories 69g protein
Total Calories : 1691.5
Total Protein: 149 grams
The first meal is an estimate, it was alot of steak, over 6 ounces prolly. I should be spacing my meals more, but I was freaking hungry this morning. My entire life I've been a big breakfast type person, so it's hard to change old habits. I believe breakfast is the most important meal of the day, without breakfast the day is a lethargic nightmare. Even if you don't feel lethargic, it's cause your body has gotten used to the "starve in the morning" thing, so you just become used to the sluggish feeling. Anyways that's why I don't feel that guilty about it. The ripped fuel kills the appetite good also, so it makes it harder. I take 6 ripped fuel a day, and plan to for the next 14 days(on vacation), and then I will stop most likely or cut back to 2 in the morning only, we will see. No drinking or smoking pot for 14 days, gonna be tough especially because I'm on vacation, and well, thats what you do on vacation, let loose and get f*cked up.

Dedicated
08-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Day 12
Before workout took liquid b12 complex, 2 ripped fuel. Before run took b6, niacin, vitamin e, multivitamin, biotin, calcium. Left ankle hurt in the morning, after deadlifts felt better. After run it hurts, icing it now, then heating it later maybe,
will do some research on when the best time to ice/heat is. Tommorow is 5 mile run, don't wanna skip but will if I gotta, Wednesday is leg day. New workout rocks cause I don't have to worry about being sore the next day.
Exercise
Bench
85lb X 12
135lb X 10
155lb X 5
165lb X 4
Decline
135lb X 9
145lb X 7
155lb X 5
Incline
135lb X 9
145lb X 4
95lb X exhaustion
85lb X exhaustion
75lb X exhaustion
65lb X exhaustion
55lb X exhaustion
45lb X exhaustion
Bent Over Barbell Rows
85lb X 12
85lb X 10
85lb X 10
65lb X 12
65lb X 10
65lb X 10
45lb X exhaustion
45lb X exhaustion
Deadlifts
135lb X 10
135lb X 10
135lb X 9
135lb X 7
Stomach
5 minutes intensive
Jogging
9.5 minutes, 1 mile, 1st 1/2 mile slow, 2nd faster, some sprints during 2nd, ghetto HIIT
Walking
9.5-10minutes 1/2 mile
Food
meal 1: tuna, protein drink 227.5 calories 45g protein
meal 2: Fried Steak in olive oil, 2 cloves chopped raw garlic, 1/4 raw green pepper 600 calories, 40g protein
meal 3: protein drink 115 calories 20g protein
meal 4: tuna 265 calories 52.5g protein
Total Calories: 1207.5
Total Protein: 157.5 grams
Meal 2 is an estimate.

AllUp
08-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Cool, seems like a solid routine. Happy with the results thus-far?

Grats :D

Dedicated
08-11-2003, 10:56 AM
Yes so far so good. I was looking at this (http://www.twowiresthin.com/wl2003/) for some pointers and I found he lifted 3 times a week, did heavy cardio 4 times a week, and then he did light cardio on his weight lifting days. So basically some form of cardio every single day. I think I can do this, my only worry is my legs but eventually the work from leg day will make my legs stronger, and the pain won't be an issue I imagine. His diet was about the same as mine, except he ate carbs.

I'm pleased with the results, I've lost alot of fat off my thighs actually, I had flabby thighs, seeing some definition now hehe. My friend saw me last night and said "you look smaller than usual", I must be losing body fat all over hehe. I'm not that worried at all about losing muscle anymore, if I look smaller it's gotta be cause I'm losing fat, cause I feel very strong and I'm lifting better now than when I started.

Dedicated
08-12-2003, 07:22 AM
Day 13 173 pounds
Off today, can't run left ankle hurts. Body is sore from previous workout which is good. Tommorow is leg day, hopefully ankle will be better, I think it will. Taking it easy today.
Exercise
None
Food
meal 1: tuna, protein drink 227.5 calories 45g protein
meal 2: protein drink 115 calories 20g protein
meal 3: baked pork, protein drink 515 calories 40g protein
meal 4: baked pork, protein drink, 515 calories 50g protein
Total Calories: 1487.5
Total Protein: 175 grams
Meal 3 and 4 are estimates. Bought a scale today, will keep track of weight daily, weight will be taken in the morning. A weight gain might be a muscle increase so if anything it will help me keep track of my body weight relative to the weight I am lifting.

Dedicated
08-13-2003, 09:27 AM
Day 14 170.5 pounds
Ankle hurt in the morning, after working out pain was gone. At start of run hurt, during run pain was gone. Now after run pain is back, gonna dedicate my day to making it better since I'm on vacation and have absolutely nothing to do. Tommorow is 5 mile run, again I don't think my ankle will be able to take it, will see. Cannot do stiff legged deadlifts I don't like the way they feel, gonna drop them. Cannot do standing calf raises because wood I use keeps moving. Will just do more squats next time, they seem to work me very hard like deadlifts, killer freaking exercises. I especially loved the deadlifts I did monday, really cool exercise that really worked me hard:)
Exercise
Squats
95lb X 10(3 sets)
85lb X 10
85lb X 8
75lb X 10(2 sets)
65lb X 10(2 sets)
Seated Calf Raise
85lb X 20(5 sets)
Stomach
5 minutes intensive
Jogging
1.7 miles time unknown
Walking
1/2 mile 12 minutes
Food
meal 1: oatmeal(carbs!), protein drink, 265 calories, 25g protein
meal 2: protein drink 115 calories, 20g protein
meal 3: tuna 112.5 calories 25g protein
meal 4: ground meat(fat drained), 1 raw onion, lots of raw garlic, 350 calories, 35g protein
meal 5: tuna, protein drink, 52.5g protein 265 calories
Total Calories: 1107.5
Total Protein: 157.5 grams
Couldn't finish meal 4, I'm a terrible cook.

I got a new exercise machine today for free and it's just what I needed! It's one of those stairmaster things that simulate climbing stairs. The good thing is I can do this for 45min - 1hour in replacement of my run till my ankle gets better. Well, that's assuming I can go 45min - 1hour heh. Talk about perfect timing!:)

eatdirt40
08-13-2003, 12:34 PM
dedicated how do u bold things in your journal??? what button is used to bold words and ****, kinda off subject but i was jw man haha thx

chops
08-13-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by eatdirt40
dedicated how do u bold things in your journal??? what button is used to bold words and ****, kinda off subject but i was jw man haha thx

you do this
["b"]text here["/b"] BUT remove those quote marks

also when u go back to your post in edit mode, there is a toolbar for formatting.

hey dedicated,

imo:

just wanted to say that i am almost 1/2 your size and eating about 1200 cals a day. i want to lose weight too but i think if u cut your cals too drastically, its only good for the short term and you'll regret it later when you've made it easy for the weight to come back (metabolism is slow) once u resume normal eating.

i take clen for my eca. at first, it killed my appetite, but now i'm hungry like crazy anyway while taking them - that kinda sucks. but anyway, even before when i wasn't hungry, i'd make sure i would eat anyway. don't want your body going into starvation mode or feeding off your muscle gains. looks like you are doing keto?

anyhooo, good luck!!

Dedicated
08-13-2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks.:) Not sure if it's keto didn't really look into diets too much. I try to cut down on carbs sometimes cause I know they can be turned into fat, and that if there are no carbs the body uses other sources for energy, IE fat. I base my routine and eating around this http://www.twowiresthin.com/wl2003/ in a way, we eat the same pretty much in calories and our routines are similiar. I try to keep the protein intake high also like he did. When my ankle gets better my cardio should be up there like his, except without all the HIIT, I don't have the patience to time stuff like that hehe. I'm not sure how low on body fat I wanna go, 5% would be ideal, but we will see. When I reach my goal I'll prolly keep the diet the same, and then slowly starting eating a little bit more, very slowly hehe.

Dedicated
08-14-2003, 07:24 AM
Day 15 169 pounds
Exercise
StairClimber
41 minutes
Stomach
5 minutes intensive
Food
meal 1: 3 battered fried fish(fried in water) with cocktail sauce, protein drink 655 calories 41g protein
meal 2: canned spinach 90 calories, 9g protein
meal 3: chicken, protein drink 415 calories 45g protein
meal 4: rice sushi rolls, lowfat cultured milk, 500 calories, 42g protein
Total Calories: 1660
Total Protein: 137 grams
Meal 3 and 4 are estimates. For meal 4, lowfat cultured milk was about 3 servings, 110 calories per serving and 14g protein each. No nutritional info for sushi available, it was 4 little rice rolls. For meal 3, it was 2 pieces of chicken fried in water, took the skin and fat off.

Tommorow is arms and shoulders day, big day, so wanted to make sure I ate decently today. Very full now and looking forward to working out HARD tommorow. Now that I have the stairclimber, I can do that till my ankle gets better, meaning cardio every_single_day.

chops
08-14-2003, 06:23 PM
-how do u fry fish in water? <scratches head>

-and why not fresh spinach, more vitamins in it and no added salt or sugar like the canned stuff

-SUSHI <slobber, slurp>

-you can get your fats from unsaturated like olive oil, pb instead of saturated like milk

-no efa?

how's your wieght loss coming along?

chops
08-14-2003, 06:23 PM
-how do u fry fish in water? <scratches head>

-and why not fresh spinach, more vitamins in it and no added salt or sugar like the canned stuff

-SUSHI <slobber, slurp>

-you can get your fats from unsaturated like olive oil, pb instead of saturated like milk

-no efa?

how's your weight loss coming along?

chops
08-15-2003, 11:56 AM
ah, the method of cooking in liquid is called braising :)

i do that too, sometimes w/ broth for flavor. i also have a misto can (got from target). its a can that u fill will oil, i use olive. it sprays out a very fine mist and i think it's better than using a chemical spray like pam. if you have a thick nonstick pan, that helps the cooking ALOT. i say thick because this will help the heat distribute throughout the pan and cook your foods evenly.

for the fish, even tho u braise it, it will have some residual fat (trans fat) from being pre fried. not a big deal, but unbreaded is still better :)

200 to 169 is awesome.

Stabber
08-17-2003, 10:52 AM
hows it going with the low calorie thing? mine seems to be working. I lost some size but oh well.

Dedicated
08-17-2003, 12:55 PM
Yea I lost size too I'm told also, it's all fat though I think, I'm stronger than I was before. I'm letting this journal die, I tryed to delete it but it didn't work. I'm using a spreadsheet program now to keep track of my progress, easier to work with. Goodluck.