PDA

View Full Version : Measure food before or after cooking??

papaoso2k1
08-01-2003, 05:25 AM
This is a rather simple and dumb question....are you supposed to measure your food before or after you cook it...Im asking because I eat a lot of chicken (who doesnt?) and i always measure it before cooking it ...and when Im about to eat it the chicken is smaller than it used to be....And when i look at nutrient contents for chicken it doesnt say if it is for raw chicken ...what do you do?

bradley
08-01-2003, 05:49 AM
Measure the raw weight of the food. The nutrition label gives information based on the raw weight of the meat.

Sinep
08-01-2003, 05:53 AM
my chicken weights 0.7 of its raw weight when it is cooked. so , if I have 4oz of cooked chicken, I divide by 0.7 the raw nutritional information of a 4oz uncooked

bradley
08-01-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Sinep
my chicken weights 0.7 of its raw weight when it is cooked. so , if I have 4oz of cooked chicken, I divide by 0.7 the raw nutritional information of a 4oz uncooked

This could change depending on amount of time that you cooked the chicken, the way you cooked it, etc. What you are describing above would probably be somewhat accurate, but why not just weigh the chicken raw?

Blood&Iron
08-01-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by papaoso2k1
This is a rather simple and dumb question....are you supposed to measure your food before or after you cook it...Im asking because I eat a lot of chicken (who doesnt?) and i always measure it before cooking it ...and when Im about to eat it the chicken is smaller than it used to be....And when i look at nutrient contents for chicken it doesnt say if it is for raw chicken ...what do you do?
Buy a book like 'Corinne Netzer's Complete Book of Food Counts' (although, you can probably find most of the information contained therein online)

It has the nutritional profiles of some stuff (e.g. meat) both prior to and after being cooked.

Berserker
08-01-2003, 07:12 AM
I don't weight my food. Never will. I estimate. I don't think your diet should be so close you need to add or subtract an ounce. There are to many other variables, for me to bother.

Blood&Iron
08-01-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Berserker
I don't weight my food. Never will. I estimate. I don't think your diet should be so close you need to add or subtract an ounce. There are to many other variables, for me to bother.
Nah, I agree. I think it's good to weigh stuff until you have an idea what, for example, 4oz of chicken looks like or a single serving of cereal looks like. After you've done that for a month or two and really have a firm grasp on things, I agree that estimating is fine in most instances. I very rarely weigh my food anymore.

Maki Riddington
08-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Buy a book like 'Corinne Netzer's Complete Book of Food Counts' (although, you can probably find most of the information contained therein online)

It has the nutritional profiles of some stuff (e.g. meat) both prior to and after being cooked.

*** I think I've almost memorized that book.:)