PDA

View Full Version : Flax Oil

baja_stx
08-01-2003, 04:56 PM
I bought some "Barlean's Lignan content Flax Oil".

Easiest time for me to take it is w/ my post workout shake. Is this ok?

The bottle recommends 1-2 tablespoons daily. Is that a good doseage?

Khar
08-01-2003, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't take it with your post workout shake. The fats will slow the digestion of the shake and that would dimish the purpose of the post w/o shake IMO. Just take 1 Tbsp with any other meal. I take 1 with my dinner. 1 Tbsp should probably be enough as flax oil can get expensive, and that 1 Tbsp should provide around 7g of ala. I'm sure Bradley will chime in with some good reads on the subject. Check out my thread on Amount's of Omega 3's (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35125). There is some good info in there.

SoulOfKoRea
08-01-2003, 06:23 PM
liquid fats(oil) float, so they wouldn't slow down the digestion.

steveo
08-02-2003, 01:28 AM
:withstupi

bradley
08-02-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Khar
Just take 1 Tbsp with any other meal. I take 1 with my dinner. 1 Tbsp should probably be enough as flax oil can get expensive, and that 1 Tbsp should provide around 7g of ala.

If you are using flaxseed oil as your primary source of omega 3 fats then I would recommend ~2 tablespoons per day.

Although I think you would be better served supplementing with fish oil over the flaxseed oil.

bradley
08-02-2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
liquid fats(oil) float, so they wouldn't slow down the digestion.

:nod:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7094791&dopt=Abstract

Fenway
08-02-2003, 08:00 PM
how does one calculate fish oil into the diet, or is it one of those supplements which has no caloric value, but instead has value in its healthy fats?

i am confused on this

SquareHead
08-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by bradley

:nod:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7094791&dopt=Abstract

So is that study saying that the fats are not slowing the digestion of food because there floating? They should really give a little conclusive recap for the layman at the end of those studies.:help:

louis1099
08-03-2003, 02:46 AM
can u get those fish oil capsules to get the oil? I hate fish....dont mind the flax seed oil though

bradley
08-03-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Fenway
how does one calculate fish oil into the diet, or is it one of those supplements which has no caloric value, but instead has value in its healthy fats?

Fish oil, like any other oil, contains 9 calories per gram. With that being said you should count these calories toward your daily calorie intake, and yes fish oil has many health benefits.:)

bradley
08-03-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by SquareHead

So is that study saying that the fats are not slowing the digestion of food because there floating? They should really give a little conclusive recap for the layman at the end of those studies.:help:

It is saying that in a liquid meal the fats will float on top of the liquid which does not slow gastric emptying as compared to the solid meal.

Gastric emptying and intragastric distribution of lipids in man. A new scintigraphic method of study.

Jian R, Vigneron N, Najean Y, Bernier JJ.

We measured gastric emptying of fat and water from a solid-liquid meal in healthy volunteers using a tubeless scintigraphic method. Selenium-75 glycerol triether, incorporated in butter, was the lipid-phase marker, and technetium-99m, ingested with 250 ml water, the non-lipid phase marker. In seven of these subjects we also measured the gastric emptying of solids and liquids with technetium-99m bound to cooked egg whites as the solid-phase marker and indium-111 ingested with 250 ml water as the marker of the solid and aqueous phases. Emptying and intragastric repartition of each marker were measured by detection of radioactivity changes over the abdominal area using a gamma-camera. The stability and the specificity of the labeling was checked for each marker. Mean gastric emptying rate (expressed as percentage ingested marker emptied per hr) of lipids (17.4 +/- 2.4) was much lower than that of the rest of the meal (34.2 +/- 1.8) and slightly, but significantly, lower than that of solids (22.8 +/- 1.8). An intragastric layering of fat above nonlipids was observed only after the first postprandial hour and remained moderate. Thus, lipids are emptied more slowly than any other component of an ordinary meal, and this is not due only to layering of fat above water.

bradley
08-03-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by louis1099
can u get those fish oil capsules to get the oil? I hate fish....dont mind the flax seed oil though

You can get fish oil in caps or liquid, and if you prefer liquid you can look for the flavored fish oil which can help mask the taste of the fish oil.