PDA

View Full Version : HSN Primer + Driver / Lyle McDonald

Moose
08-02-2003, 07:12 PM
I was looking at some supplements......looking for a protein blend, rather than whey concentrate. I took a quick look at HSN Primer and Driver. In their description, they advise taking the Primer pre-workout, and the Driver post-workout. I was confused because the Primer is a "fast protein" and the Driver is a "slow protein"..............which made no sense to me because I always thought you would want the slow before the workout......and the fast right after your workout.

Then I came accross an article by Lyle McDonald in which he says,

"A final question that this study raises has to do with the post-workout protein feeding. Consider that even the whey protein took 1 hour to raise blood leucine levels to it's peak. If the idea is to provide AAs to a recovering muscle immediately after training, it might make more sense to consume protein an hour or two before the workout, so that AAs are hitting the bloodstream as the workout is ending"

Does HSN have it right.......in which you take the fast protein pre-workout, and the slow protein post-workout? Since the fast protein doesn't hit it's peak absorbtion until about an hour after ingestion (and that's after 10 hours of fasting....)?

Moose
08-02-2003, 07:13 PM
http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/mcdonald/protein-01.htm

bradley
08-03-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Moose
Does HSN have it right.......in which you take the fast protein pre-workout, and the slow protein post-workout? Since the fast protein doesn't hit it's peak absorbtion until about an hour after ingestion (and that's after 10 hours of fasting....)?

Yes, they do have a valid point especially if you are working out first thing in the morning (fasted state). If this is the case then yes taking a fast digesting protein (whey) along with some carbs would be an excellent idea.

On the other hand if you have eaten a whole food meal within the last 2-3 hours you will already have some amino acids/glucose available for your workout so the idea of a fast digesting protein before working out is not that imporant, or a preworkout shake for that matter.

As far as a slow digesting protein post workout the casein would be a good idea, especially if you will not be eating a whole food meal soon after your training. If you are planning on eating a whole food meal shortly after your post workout shake then whey would be fine, otherwise go with casein.