PDA

View Full Version : Tummy Timmy To Total Turnaround

Fenway
08-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Well ok, I am not going to be on the cover of Men's Health, but that doesn't mean i can't achieve a physique similar to a few of the lads they sport on their covers.

Currently weigh 196lbs and i am 6foot 1in with about 16% BF.

The goal is to drop the BF% to around 8-10% while maintaining as much weight as i can. It may very well be that i drop some weight first, then bulk, only to cut once more.

I am back to lifting weights for the first time in years, going to give it some serious effort this time. Still going to pound out some cardio and my diet i think is in great shape, now that Bradley has had a chance to steer me in the right direction:cool:

Tomorrow is day one, of the weight part. Using WBB #1 to get myself going. Following an ab routine from a book on ABs, (so many different ab exercises in there, all with diagrams etc) its tittled "legendary ABs" and its a 9 month routine to creating a washboard and a book on general health and fitness too.

I think for the first time i truly understand what it takes to transform the body in to a lean mean (fill in your word here) machine.

I hope that when i hit some speedbumps in my routines you guys will be there to help me through the tough times while also providing encouragement through the good times.

My biggest concern is sleep. I don't get 8 hours a day, more like 5.5-6 and i don't even have kids or a crazy lifestyle anymore. I just don't seem to sleep well. Anyone with any rememdies for sleep, that would be appreciated. May have to try reading a bit to calm down before i hit the pillow.

Dedicated
08-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Try melatonin for the sleep, I took one last night and slept like a log. I think it's the stuff found naturally in turkey that makes people sleepy. Ever eaten turkey and felt sleepy afterwards? They sell the pills, you can take 1-3 I think safely. Goodluck with your new routine, just eat right and stay consistent. If results don't come, work harder!:cool:

Scott S
08-03-2003, 07:32 PM
You could try drinking a bunch of milk. The tryptophan makes some people really drowsy.

Fenway
08-03-2003, 08:22 PM
does the milk have to be warm:eek: as for the melatonin, is that stuff safe to be taking, seems to me that i should just learn to relax more :(

Shane
08-03-2003, 08:29 PM
:spam: Melatonin isn't found in food. It's secreted by the pineal gland. It's safe to take. How much it helps is up for debate though. I haven't tried it so I can't say. The stuff found in turkey that makes you tired is tryptophan like Scott said. It can make you sleepy too. Try relaxing more and the milk or turkey first (I don't think temperature should matter). If that doesn't work try the melatonin. Good luck with your journal. ;)

aka23
08-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Fenway
My biggest concern is sleep. I don't get 8 hours a day, more like 5.5-6 and i don't even have kids or a crazy lifestyle anymore. I just don't seem to sleep well. Anyone with any rememdies for sleep, that would be appreciated. May have to try reading a bit to calm down before i hit the pillow.

Some techniques for improving sleep are listed at http://www.caminomedical.org/handouts/insomnia.html . My doctor gave me a pamphlet that was identical to this page when I first saw him about my sleeping difficulties. If you wish to use sleeping aids, in my opinion there are more effective alternatives to melatonin . A good website where users rate various medications, treatments, and share results is at http://www.remedyfind.com/sym.asp?id=19

Fenway
08-04-2003, 12:09 AM
thanks for the links, checking them out now.........

There truly will be a workout log tomorrow, i promise :)

eatdirt40
08-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Good luck with your Journal man ill be checking your journal every now and then and making sure your staying on stack c ya!!!!

Fenway
08-04-2003, 02:16 PM
So i am the weakest 196lbs that walks the face of the earth, these numbers are pretty pathetic, please keep in mind its only day one tho..... :cry:

Day 1) Chest and Biceps

Flat Barbell BP i am not sure if the bar is a 35 or a 45lb
95x8
95x6
95x5

Dips, haha 3 only twice...so i went to a seated dip and instead did the following :

4 sets of 50x8 reps
1 set of 90x1 (the weight i will use the next time for sure)

Chin ups....man do i suck....3 assisted only 3 times..... is there a way to do chin up on some sort of machine until i build confidence and strength...or do i just have to suck it up?

Hammer curls 15lbs controlled slow movement 4 sets of 8 reps
seated bicep curl on a machine 40lbs controlled 4 sets of 8 reps
standing dumbell bicep curls 20lbs per side 4 sets of 8 reps.

Well, as you can see i am new and not even sure of all the lingo, and even worse i am as weak as a butterfly..... but i will make progress and gain confidence.

I will post the diet for the day later just before bed.

as for sleep....the last three days i have averaged 10 hours a day, well above the norm for me.

looking to do a 4 day split, chest/bis, back/tris/ sholders, legs.
following my own ab routine, and i am not looking to bulk for ego, i am interested in putting on muscle but at a controlled, and slow pace so as not to injure myself.

any constructive criticism or spam greatly appreciated.

Dedicated
08-04-2003, 03:04 PM
So i am the weakest 196lbs that walks the face of the earth, these numbers are pretty pathetic, please keep in mind its only day one tho.....
You are going to get very strong very fast since you are new to weights. Just keep at it goodluck.